Bears defense projected to be near the bottom again

napo55

Liked Posts:
Nope, I meant 17th.

People forget the defense wasn’t terrible in the beginning of the year. Then they traded Quinn and Roquan and the defense went into shambles.

With Edmunds and Edwards the LB corp is much improved

The secondary should be improved. Added Stevenson and another year of development for Brisker/Gordon.

The run defense should be much improved with Billings and the rookie DTs, not to mention Walker, who is a big DE. I also wouldn’t be shocked if Gipson has a good year with better interior play and more push up front. Same goes for Robinson

Don’t expect the defense to blow anyone away, but I think they’ll be decent enough and not the train wreck you’re suggesting
Edmunds is no improvment over Roquan. They came into the league the same year and Smith has more tackles, ints, and many more sacks. Check the stats .
Edwards could be an improvement.
Gipson and Robinson were big disappointments and until they show some ability to rush the passer, this will be the weak link of the defense.

It will all be on Field's shoulders, and maybe an impoved offense can make up for the defensive failings.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
We've spent 5 of the last 7 top 75 picks on defense since Poles has arrived. Our one lone big splash signing was on defense. Most of the focus has been on defense since Everflus arrival. To rank them 29th is understandable from the outside, but I'd be pissed if allocated the assets we have and end up 29th.

With that said, I don't expect to be that low. The team is likely to add another veteran pass rusher or two. I also think our DLineman rookies are better prospects than they've been graded out as. I expect Gordon and Brisker to take a step up, especially as the front 7 improves. Our secondary afterall played solidly in passing defense considering they were being asked to do alot in run support.

I think they will end up ranked around the low 20s in Yards allowed (28th Last year).I still expect around a 25th or worse ranked rushing defense (31st last year), but a top 15 passing defense (18th last year).

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Edmunds is no improvment over Roquan. They came into the league the same year and Smith has more tackles, ints, and many more sacks. Check the stats .
Gipson and Robinson were big disappointments and until they show some ability to rush the passer, this will be the weak link of the defense.

It will all be on Field's shoulders, and maybe an impoved offense can make up for the defensive failings.

There’s really no debate that the LB corp is improved compared to last year. Its definitely a better unit.

Gipson and Robinson were disappointments. Robinson was a raw rookie and part of the pass rush struggle stemmed from the laughable run D. Hard to rush the passer when the offense is consistently 3rd and short. Seemed like the bears never had the offense on 3rd and long. They added a lot of beef up front so the run D should be much better. I think the pass rush will still be underwhelming, but much better than it was last year

napo55

Liked Posts:
There’s really no debate that the LB corp is improved compared to last year. Its definitely a better unit.

Gipson and Robinson were disappointments. Robinson was a raw rookie and part of the pass rush struggle stemmed from the laughable run D. Hard to rush the passer when the offense is consistently 3rd and short. Seemed like the bears never had the offense on 3rd and long. They added a lot of beef up front so the run D should be much better. I think the pass rush will still be underwhelming, but much better than it was last year
It remains to be seen how Edmunds will adapt to the Bears system. He was not good on pass defense, although he did improve last year. He definitely did not perform overall as well as Roquan. I like Edwards who will hopefullyl be an improvement.

So we will seee.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If by 17th you mean 31st.
I'll go out on a limb and say we move up 1 or 2 spots.

I actually do think about 17.

Their run defense should be drastically improved, that alone will limit opportunities for opposing offenses if the bears offense can control the TOP.

Getting to the QB will still be a major issue, but at least this year they should be able to stop the run and have a solid back end to give their pass rush a little bit of extra time.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
It remains to be seen how Edmunds will adapt to the Bears system. He was not good on pass defense, although he did improve last year. He definitely did not perform overall as well as Roquan. I like Edwards who will hopefullyl be an improvement.

So we will seee.

There’s really not much to see. Edmunds and Edwards is an upgrade to Roquan and Morrow. They also added Sewell and GOATBorn has another year of experience. The LB unit is better there’s no doubt about it. Not to mention, they were without Roquan for about half the season. Does it have to play out? Sure, everything has to play out, but there’s not a legitimate reason to think or doubt that the LB corp isn’t improved compared to last year

msadows

Liked Posts:
There’s really not much to see. Edmunds and Edwards is an upgrade to Roquan and Morrow. They also added Sewell and GOATBorn has another year of experience. The LB unit is better there’s no doubt about it. Not to mention, they were without Roquan for about half the season. Does it have to play out? Sure, everything has to play out, but there’s not a legitimate reason to think or doubt that the LB corp isn’t improved compared to last year
They also got that Cole dude for depth.

Also have much much more depth on the interior Dline.

Their run stopping ability at minimum should be good this year.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
The defense definitely did not make any big splashes or big name pickups this offseason. However, if they can even get average performance at a few more positions this season from the different talent we do have from FA and the draft, I think they can move up to around the #20-25 range for defense. The defense last year became a guessing game of "who's that?" in the second half of the season once injuries and the trades of Roquan and Quinn were completed. Even having some type of consistency in personnel from training camp through the season should help a little bit. Flus is going to have a big opportunity to show that he can adapt to what he has this year and may have to find other ways to create QB pressure as that will be one of their biggest weaknesses. I'm really hoping the younger players in the secondary take a big step this year (don't forget Poles spent our top picks there last year and it's time those start paying some dividends).

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Run D will be way better. Secondary will suck until pass rush is there though.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears were, I believe, 2nd worst in the NFL in rush yards allowed per game last year (worst was Houston). The bar for improvement is pretty low.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Bears were, I believe, 2nd worst in the NFL in rush yards allowed per game last year (worst was Houston). The bar for improvement is pretty low.

When you suck at something obviously the bar is low. In regards to the run D, the Bears added Billings, Dexter, Pickens, and Walker. The bar may be low, but the run D should be much improved regardless. If they go from 2nd worst against the run to say, middle of the pack, that would be good progress

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Bears defense nosedived after trading Smith.

If you look at the points allowed before and after it was a pretty significant difference.

The defense will not be as bad as last year's average. The Bears seemingly improved at DT and regressed at DE.

I expect you will see a defense similar to the pre-Smith trade level.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears D will impress some folks this year. I was concerned too about the lack of pass rush help being a priority in FA & the draft, however they made some very underrated signings in Billings & Walker and drafting Sewell to pair with their speedier LBs like Edmunds, TJ – might mean different blitz packages with our LBs. At the very least it probably won't be the vanilla Tampa-2 we've loathed in previous regimes.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I would like to see more from Gordon and Brisker.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Poles has invested heavily in the Defense over the last 2 draft and this FA class. We better start seeing improvement or someones seat will be getting warm

Bears27

Liked Posts:
I would like to see more from Gordon and Brisker.
Totally agree, especially since it seems like Jaylon is getting pushed out of the way and EJ should be approaching the final year of his deal, if I remember correctly?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A far less brutal schedule will give this defense a shot, but certainly beatable by better quarterbacks.

I think they do much better against the run and there is enough talent in the secondary to get more picks, but see no clear upgrade on the DL and until it does...this defense will still be mediocre on their best day.

Defense finishes maybe 6 or 7 spots higher than last season and hope it's the offense that leaps forward in 2023.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Bears D finishes in top 10 points allowed and DVOA this season. #callingit

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Oh no, not projected!!!!

napo55

Liked Posts:
When you compare Roquan and Morrow to Edmunds and Edwards, you find that Roquan is clearly superior and Edwards is slightly superior. The net is a slight downgrade for the Bears. Take a look:

Roquan Smith, career 2018 through 2022

Games Ints Sacks tackles solo TFL
78 , 8, 18.5, 693, 451, 54

Tremaine Edmunds career 2018 through 2022

Games Ints Sacks tackles solo TFL
74 , 5 , 6.5, 565, 359, 32

Comparing Morrow to Edwards, looking at 2022, you find Edwards had more tackles and sacks and Morrow had more Ints and TFL. Let's still give the nod to Edwards, but not anywhere near as clear as the difference between Roquan and Tremaine. And Smith/Edmunds are far more important in the equation.

So please deal with reality and not what we as fans might just be hoping.