Bears head coaching job will be coveted.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The Rams job was coveted last year even with a shitty O and Goff playing like a dirt sandwich. The D was pretty solid. But they had 0 playmakers on O, outside of Gurley.

Head coaching jobs will always be coveted especially by coordinators who've never been a HC before, but even guys that have will still take the Bears job if offered. I'm not worried at all about not having plenty of choices for our HC job this off season.

cd35

Liked Posts:
The job will be coveted by mediocre coaches and coaches with no experience that want their first chance.

Proven winning and capable coaches that are competent and would need to be in full charge without the stupid interference by an incompetent ownership and gms will be wary of this dismal franchise. And it is dismal in reality despite the clinging to a few very short lived high points most of which span at least more than 3 decades ago.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Indeed . . . This whole thing oughta be enough to get Dave McGinniss to deplane and head back to Halas Hall . . .

670 the score host asks Michael McStupid, so since you did not make a run at Reggie White, what do you have to say to him....McStupid, I say "Welcome to the NFC North Reggie"....and for the next 10 years White kicks the ass of every QB put out there. The McStupid tree has deep roots of endless dumb.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Head coaching jobs will always be coveted especially by coordinators who've never been a HC before, but even guys that have will still take the Bears job if offered. I'm not worried at all about not having plenty of choices for our HC job this off season.

While there's obviously some truth to this, if Pace wants, say, DeFilippo, and he can choose between Dallas with a GM/owner and a Bears GM that needs results to keep his job, I can see it factoring in to his decision. We should get someone good but it may not be Pace's first choice.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Normally when you rebuild there at least some signs of progressions. Only the Bears can regress in a rebuild.

Yep! They won 6 games in the 1st year and with a solid influx of "talent" by Pace and great "development" by the coaching staff they have struggled to get close to that win total again and look worse.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
This was from a couple of weeks ago. The seat just continues to get hotter for Fox and both places now appear to be fully on board with that point.

On Pace. I'm not trying to argue for Pace to get fired, but I think you have to hold in your mind that his first year was awful. The rebuild IS behind schedule. Too early IMO to fire a GM, and I think subsequent years have generally been better, but he needs a couple of superstars quick, or patience will justifiably run out. They may even already be on the roster, who knows, but they need to show up.

To recap Pace:
Y1 - Hiring Fox - Failed
- FA - Failed
- Draft - Failed

Y2
Draft - good
FA - good

Y3
Draft - Inc
FA - failed.

Probably gets more time, but I understand why people aren't happy with him to date.
With all things you need the appropriate context, much of which people here seem to have forgotten.

When Ryan Pace came on board, the initial reports were he wanted a younger guy such as himself and an offensive mind.

When John Fox was fired from Denver, Ernie accorsi recommended him to the mccaskeys and the mccaskeys urged pace to meet with John Fox, with the reports sighting that they wanted an experienced veteran head coach paired with their young general manager.

We don't know what pressure was put on that for Pace to hire Fox given that, but the initial reports were Fox was not Paces first choice. There was also an initial reports of friction.

Soon thereafter came the reports coming from the Bears themselves that everything was okay, that Ryan Pace did indeed pick John Fox's first choice, ( you know, kind of like the reports that Ryan Pace did indeed tell John Fox that Mitch trubisky was going to be the number one overall pick ahead of time and not just 15 minutes prior), and everybody is holding hands and singing Kumbaya much the way a football organization comes together in order to sell a unified front.

Now let's look at free agency. Many people have been bitching over and over again that pace doesn't land Big Time free agents. What these people are failing to realize or simply can't comprehend is Ryan Pace isn't even trying to for good reason. Teams that build through free agency don't last and most times don't even work. One simply has to look at the legacy of Dan Snyder's Redskins to see that. Ryan pace is renting players on one and two year deals, people who have potential upside and no risk if they suck. Those who end up being good are rewarded and those who are not are quickly discarded because the goal is to replenish with the draft.

What I find is that the people who say is free agency selections suck are people who disagree with that fundamental concept of building through the draft and lack any sort of patience whatsoever to allow that process to happen. They also are too simple-minded to understand that you cannot get out from under 7 years of draft picks so horrible that most of them aren't even in the league anymore, in just three years.

Another potential reason why Pace hasn't made big splashes in free agency is that quite frankly he wasn't allowed to dive into the rebuild right away. Again consistent with reports when Pace was hired through the first year and the second was that pace was not allowed to cut Jay Cutler until they had drafted a replacement. This was an edict that came from ownership. Ryan Pace had his hands fucking tied.

And if you follow the reports, you realize he tried to trade up for Mariota but didn't have enough draft picks or ammunition that year. He also tried to trade up for Wentz last year but again didn't have enough for what the team in position to take him wanted or the teams ahead.

They finally convinced ownership to say goodbye to Cutler, signed Mike Glennon to what essentially amounts to a single year contract because there's practically no penalty for cutting him at the end of the year and the Bears have nothing but cap space, and he finally got the quarterback he wanted.

In the meantime if you look at his drafts, Ryan pace is consistently bringing in Talent. Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen, Adam Shaheen, Cody whitehair, Mitch trubisky, Floyd, Nick kwitkowski, and so on.

Some idiots are going to bitch that they're not all pro bowlers but if you look at even the best GM's, all their pics aren't pro bowlers top to bottom. What they do is bring in Talent that can either be starters, depth, or pro bowlers.

Ryan Pace has done that. If you look at the actual abilities of the people Ryan Pace has brought in, they flash Talent. They show signs. But what's happening is they aren't showing growth. That points to one thing and one thing alone: COACHING!

The team under John Fox has long been too injured, often penalized, undisciplined, and unable to identify Talent let alone develop it.

If Ryan Pace were the one who decided he really wanted John Fox of course I would lay that at his feet. But he isn't, a story that just last week was corroborated by Greg Gabriel, that John Fox was in Ernie accorsi pick.

Dumbass meatball Backwoods idiots wants to light the Torches and pitchforks and stab and light on fire anything that moves because they are too simple-minded and stupid to see the big picture or to put two and two together. the same brain-dead idiots who say they hate the mccaskey's and don't trust them also believe all the pr reports the Bears put out. in short, there are plenty of dumb motherfuckers out there.

I will add this. The Halas Hall expansion that was announced recently was all Ryan pace. His vision. His idea. That doesn't go forward with a GM you're about to fire.

on top of which I also caution people who want to believe in many of the media reports. given what I said I know that sounds contradictory, but here's the point. The initial reports tend to be the most honest.

once those break and leak everybody goes into spin mode and damage protection. Reporters are not immune to this. Reporters like having their jobs easy. In the past with Phil Emery and Jerry Angelo, there were plenty of people in those front offices willing to talk to reporters and give them gossip. This made reporters look smart and gave them easy stories, even if they were stories passed along to Halas Hall channels. This isn't even something I am making up. For as much as he is hated, Dan Bernstein once worked the Bears beat and confirm that this sort of thing does happen, and has said that a number of times on his dumbass radio show. Him being an ass wipe doesn't mean he's wrong and you or I for that matter hating him doesn't mean he's wrong. He worked in the profession and therefore knows how the profession Works more so than any of us.

Fast forward, Ryan Pace runs a tight ship. There are no leaks unless Ryan wants it to leak. those of us who remember when Ryan Pace was hired should also remember the bitching by veteran beat reporters and established Sports media that ensued because suddenly they didn't have their good old boy network connections that made the reporting life easy.

so guess what? Some of these seem grouchy ass wipe media people full of course want Ryan Pace to be fired in the hopes that the next guy will be more prone to having leaks on his staff and return to the good old days where Sports reporters didn't have to work for a living and got their stories handed to them by Halas fucking Hall.

And these assholes know what meatballs we have in the city and aren't afraid to rile them up to serve their own reporting purposes.

they end the brain-dead morons are going to be very disappointed when Ryan pace is still the GM and gets to pick the next coach. and I would imagine they are going to be even more disappointed next year, when with better coaching, the bears go 9 and 7 or 10 and 6.

Last time I stepped out when things looked this dire was when people were bitching non-stop at the end of the 2004 season. I told people then that the Bears would be in the Super Bowl in two years. I got eviscerated on the forums. Guess who was right?

while not a Super Bowl I am getting a similar vibe from this group. too much talent and too many close games. Better coaching makes this team .500 this year.

Another draft similar to the last two and coaches who can actually develop Talent as well as a run an offense, and I could see this team easily being 9 and 7 or 10 and 6. Still think they don't have the depth to win a playoff game next year, but at the very least it will let fans and League know that the Bears are coming. I see a dramatic turnaround in their future starting next year.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Are some head coaches going to look at a GM with 36-37 loses on his resume and worry that the GM that hires them may get fired sooner rather than later?

I think that if you have option as a coaching candidate that it would factor in.
How easily that can be mitigated by Matt GM being put in charge of all football operations and giving Ted Phillips the Krane Kenny treatment.

Given that Ryan Pace announced that expansion to Halas Hall which is 100% his baby it isn't a far stretch

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Teddy - you seem to think there are two ways to build a team....

1. Through the draft
2. By exclusively targeting top tier free agents

Good GMs prioritise the draft and judiciously target free agents when opportunities arise. Sometimes these will be top tier guys. You keep attacking a position that no one is advocating.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
No one disagrees with the idea that you build through the draft. It's how every successful team gets built. You are straw manning the shit out of everyone that disagrees with you rather than engaging with their criticisms honestly.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The job will be coveted by mediocre coaches and coaches with no experience that want their first chance.

Proven winning and capable coaches that are competent and would need to be in full charge without the stupid interference by an incompetent ownership and gms will be wary of this dismal franchise. And it is dismal in reality despite the clinging to a few very short lived high points most of which span at least more than 3 decades ago.

You mean "proven" coaches like John Fox???

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It isn't the record, it is who that record is saddled on.

A brand new GM has 0 loses on his resume and a ton of job security, Chris Ballard will have 13, but will have a ton of job security, Ryan Pace will have 36 or 37 loses on his resume.

If the Bears struggle in 2018 will Pace be fired? If your answer is yes than obviously coaching candidates could be 1 and done here.

Coaching contracts are almost always guaranteed. There is no way a new HC would be hired with the idea of possibly firing him with the GM after the season. Both new HC and GM would be guaranteed at LEAST 2-3 seasons together before any firings happen.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
while not a Super Bowl I am getting a similar vibe from this group. too much talent and too many close games. Better coaching makes this team .500 this year.

Another draft similar to the last two and coaches who can actually develop Talent as well as a run an offense, and I could see this team easily being 9 and 7 or 10 I see a dramatic turnaround in their future starting next year.

I hope so. I have actually written similar things after the Lions loss and still believe them.

Regardless, in spite of whatever circumstances surrounded it, (which we will never know for sure) I hold Pace accountable for Fox. At minimum, even as a brand new GM, he wasn't able to win the room over that wanted Fox. Most likely, he was on board with the hire. Again, anything more is speculation. For the other stuff, like you said, context is important. If you are building through the draft, your haul needs to be better than Eddie Goldman and Adrian Amos for an entire draft if that is intended to be your only means of rebuilding. So I stand firmly by saying year 1 was a disaster. I've already said y2 was a very good draft, and y3 is too early to truly evaluate. So right now if we want to throw out every other aspect of evaluating a GM, he is 1/2 in drafts that can be effectively evaluated.

Also, the FAs speak to his ability to evaluate talent. Of course we don't want to build through them, but if you miss like that on the number he has, you can't help but question his personnel evaluation abilities which should be a strength as he was the director of pro scouting for a number of years with the Saints.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
What all of you fail to mention is that the other teams picking coaches will have loser management and ownership as well. They’re hiring a new coach because they’re losing.
The only question a coach is really going to ask is, can I be successful here?
They’re going to want to know if they can work well with Pace. If they like Pace and think he’s on the right track, they’ll come. If the Bears do what I think they will, they’ll extend Pace to match up with the coach so if it doesn’t work, they’ll go out together.
Someone mentioned experienced coaches might be leery to step into this situation. Another way to describe experienced coaches is, fired, out of work coaches. They’ll come here.
As far as Shaw goes, you offer him what they did with Fox and what you’d offer a experienced coach, roster control and a say in drafting and free agency, he’s going to know what kind of players he needs to run his team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I’m leaning towards the Bears hiring a younger unproven guy anyways.

Proven NFL winning coaches typically aren’t looking for jobs because they aren’t getting fired... the ‘proven’ guys with prior NFL head coaching experience are looking for jobs because they have failed previously.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I hope so. I have actually written similar things after the Lions loss and still believe them.

Regardless, in spite of whatever circumstances surrounded it, (which we will never know for sure) I hold Pace accountable for Fox. At minimum, even as a brand new GM, he wasn't able to win the room over that wanted Fox. Most likely, he was on board with the hire. Again, anything more is speculation. For the other stuff, like you said, context is important. If you are building through the draft, your haul needs to be better than Eddie Goldman and Adrian Amos for an entire draft if that is intended to be your only means of rebuilding. So I stand firmly by saying year 1 was a disaster. I've already said y2 was a very good draft, and y3 is too early to truly evaluate. So right now if we want to throw out every other aspect of evaluating a GM, he is 1/2 in drafts that can be effectively evaluated.

Also, the FAs speak to his ability to evaluate talent. Of course we don't want to build through them, but if you miss like that on the number he has, you can't help but question his personnel evaluation abilities which should be a strength as he was the director of pro scouting for a number of years with the Saints.

I wouldn't say getting E.Goldman and A.Amos in a draft is losing that draft. Lets not forget that his first draft he had to work with the scouts that were Emery leftovers as well so he didn't have his crew in there yet. The good thing about the free agents he's signed that haven't worked out for us is he almost always has an out after the first year like he has with Glennon. That's not to say the Glennon signing wasn't a big fail cause it was but at least we can be done with him after this year.

I've said this a few times on here that i think another reason why he didn't sign any big money free agents is because the team is in rebuild mode so why sign a big money player if you knew that the chances of the team competing weren't very good. I think, and hope, that this is the off season that he signs a couple of the bigger name free agents cause we now have our QB with a running game and we have a defense that's close to being legit with a couple of players at certain positions.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
The upside is, Pace came from the Saints org. And worked with Sean Payton, so he knows what an actual nfl coach looks like and sounds like. Hopefully he hasn't been too Beared by now and can make a great choice. I'm sure he'd like to only have to hire one head coach for the rest of his tenure here.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Coaching contracts are almost always guaranteed. There is no way a new HC would be hired with the idea of possibly firing him with the GM after the season. Both new HC and GM would be guaranteed at LEAST 2-3 seasons together before any firings happen.

The new HC will get a 4 year deal.

That doesn't mean he will coach those 4 years.

Let's say the Bears go 3-13 in 2018, Pace could easily lose his job, then the coach is in limbo. Most GMs want their guy.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I look at it like this, you need 22+ starters. Getting 2 in a draft in most years puts you farther behind in filling the team with players that you want, especially when you consider Amos is still far from a sure piece for the future. You can fill in and patch with FA/UDFA, but you need players. 2014 draft didn't get them.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The new HC will get a 4 year deal.

That doesn't mean he will coach those 4 years.

Let's say the Bears go 3-13 in 2018, Pace could easily lose his job, then the coach is in limbo. Most GMs want their guy.

The point is, if McCaskey forks over the money for that new HC, that is basically saying "I have faith in Pace to turn this around in a couple seasons." Say a new HC gets a 4 year 5M per deal (about normal for HCs). Do you think McCaskey would say OK to giving up on that after only one season...to basically pay 20M for a 1 year trial at HC (not to mention the $$$ paid out for all the assistants and the rest of the staff)???

A new HC guarantees Pace another couple seasons, unless the wheels fall completely off (yes...it can get worse!)

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say getting E.Goldman and A.Amos in a draft is losing that draft. Lets not forget that his first draft he had to work with the scouts that were Emery leftovers as well so he didn't have his crew in there yet. The good thing about the free agents he's signed that haven't worked out for us is he almost always has an out after the first year like he has with Glennon. That's not to say the Glennon signing wasn't a big fail cause it was but at least we can be done with him after this year.

I've said this a few times on here that i think another reason why he didn't sign any big money free agents is because the team is in rebuild mode so why sign a big money player if you knew that the chances of the team competing weren't very good. I think, and hope, that this is the off season that he signs a couple of the bigger name free agents cause we now have our QB with a running game and we have a defense that's close to being legit with a couple of players at certain positions.

I hope you're right with the off season plan. I think the fact he knows he has to get results will play into that.

If I was a GM you better believe that I'm not getting fired because I was conservative in my final year. Imagine if he goes 5-11 and has $40m in cap space just sitting there.