Bears, Matt Nagy's lack of identity is No. 1 concern for Bears

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, this hits some good points, but I will refute a little of it. The thing that sucked about Trubisky was his strengths weren't really consistent. He was super mobile but refused to run at times. He was the perfect RPO QB, but often made the wrong reads (see Nall 4th and in playoffs). He would execute a play to perfection then get the same look defensively and blow the read. I honestly don't blame Nagy for not playing to Trubisky's strengths because he was all over the place as a QB. I honestly think he tried. At the beginning of last season, there was a lot more under center. A lot of half field reads. The playbook was cut to plays he thought Mitch showed enough in practice to run on gamedays. But as I said, Trubisky wasn't even consistent in his strengths as a QB. So, I also think that's why he went to certain plays. A) to get it out of Mitch's hands or B) to call a play he thought Mitch would be comfortable executing.

And that's not to absolve Nagy of blame, those other points are all 100% failures of his. I honestly think Nagy should have stayed aggressive with the playcalling to make Mitch sink or swim. I understand not wanting to lose games, but they were losing them anyway. If I were him, I'd rather just create a situation where nobody can question the playcalling if my QB threw 3-4 INTs or missed a bunch of throws. Granted, I know Nagy would potentially be fired if he lost a couple more games, but I feel he actually protected Mitch from criticism, therefore taking it on himself on several occasions. That being said, excuses are done. He got his QB (can argue he did with Foles too) and the offense the way he wants it personnel wise.

If Trubisky was not running enough that is still on Nagy. Nagy's job is to coach the offense and tell him to go more often. I remember Nagy saying he was not stopping Trubisky from running, but there was zero mention of him encouraging it. It didn't sound like he was giving much direction at all.

I disagree with you on Nagy trying to play to Trubisky's strengths. If you have half a football mind you could see Trubisky (and the offense as a whole) played better under center, in a moving pocket with play action......Nagy seemed like he was allergic to doing this. Lazor came in and did it....then Nagy took back over and it died again.