Bears New Head Coach Candidates

Who should be the Bears next Head Coach?

• Total voters

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is time we get started on the search for a new Bears Head Coach. Here would be my top candidates.

1. Byron Leftwich - Bruce Arians was singing Leftwich’s praises before they arrived in Tampa together in 2019. After the organization made the prudent decision to move on from the erratic Jameis Winston, Leftwich now gets the chance to prove both his play-calling skills and offensive design talent with a known commodity in Tom Brady. While all the credit outside the industry will inevitably shift to the quarterback, those who are smart will keep an eye on Leftwich.

2. Eric Bieniemy - Undoubtedly the biggest snub of last year’s cycle, Bieniemy, the offensive coordinator of the best offense in football, has returned in that same role this year. Here is a coach who has had his hands on the development of Patrick Mahomes, who sits at the Andy Reid altar and, at times, calls plays. He interviewed with the Panthers and Giants, among others, at the end of the 2020 cycle. There is a belief that this will be a make-or-break year for Bieniemy’s candidacy. Will Andy Reid’s Super Bowl credentials add more heft to his impressive résumé?

3. Brian Daboll - Daboll was one of our top recommendations a year ago and interviewed with the Browns. Daboll has served under both Bill Belichick and Nick Saban, and has experience with receivers, tight ends and as an offensive coordinator. His ticket is going to be the continued growth of Josh Allen, which cannot be separated from the offense Daboll is designing. Allen’s bad throw percentage decreased by 5 points in 2019 and his on-target throw percentage is rising. If he takes another step forward and the Bills make the playoffs again, it would be shocking not to see Daboll heavily in the mix.

4. Greg Roman - Roman was sought after last season, though not to the extent that we might have expected. The offense that Baltimore crafted around Jackson was brilliant and is an example of what Roman can do (as was his stint in San Francisco). An interesting tidbit for teams looking to hire a coach and draft a QB in 2021: Roman’s teams have never finished worse than fifth in interceptions thrown. In four out of seven seasons, his teams have been top five in points scored and in all but one season, they’ve been top 10 in giveaways. Owners who are afraid they’re hiring an “option style” coach may want to dig a little deeper.

5 - Jim Harbaugh - More of a long shot but if you fire Pace and Nagy, why not just turn over the reins to a former Bear as coach Coach/GM. He is a bit of an arrogant douche but he certainly can craft an offense around a QB's skill set.

Edit - Added Joe Brady and Arthur Smith as options. You can change your vote if need be.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As for my vote, I am a bit torn. I love Leftwich and Bieniemy as former players who have sat at the table of some great coaches but their play calling chops are unknown at this point. However, I think they also are most likely not to insist on being the gameday play calling which to me has appeal. The problem when you have the HC as play calling is if it is not working the HC is less likely to fire or remove the OC. So first and foremost, I want a guy who is going to have the flexibility to not insist he calls plays.

On the other hand, if you want a coach with proven play calling chops then Roman, Daboll and Harbaugh. They all have proven track records of developing QBs as well as Josh Allen is beasting in Buffalo and Roman developed Jackson as well as helped Harbaugh with Kap and Smith.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do not think that they can go back to the Andy Reid tree.

Daboll
Roman
Joe Brady

Those would be my 3.

Well I suppose it boils down to whether you want some continuity on offense or not. If Bieniemy in interviews can clearly diagnose what ails the O and come up with a detailed plan to right the ship (better OL, more YAC guys) then who knows.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe your poll option then is "I am on Nagy's nutsack so will ride till I die with him."

No, he's saying it's highly unlikely the organization carries his salary for 2 more years.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Voted for Roman, but it's not gonna happen. They'll give Nagy/Pace 1 more year. The top 4 guys will get hired this or next offseason. The Bears fire both after 2021, and with Louis Riddick begging for the GM job, they'll turn away from the ESPN personality and former player.....instead going with Fox Sports personality, who works with a former player, Skip Bayless.

In an attempt to replicate the enthusiastic college hires of Kliff Kingsbury and Matt Rhule, Bayless will hire an upstart college coach after a 7-5 season and Pinstripe Bowl berth in 2021, from Michigan State......Mel Tucker.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
too disgusted to care, but it was coming

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
they're highly unlikely to fire these frauds this year as they're bleeding cash

Yup. Pace's deal expires after the 2021 season and Chicago is set to be in cap hell after this season. I dont think Pace is going anywhere or Nagy for that matter.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Well I suppose it boils down to whether you want some continuity on offense or not. If Bieniemy in interviews can clearly diagnose what ails the O and come up with a detailed plan to right the ship (better OL, more YAC guys) then who knows.
Ruling out someone from a super successful coaching tree because we picked a guy from that tree that was a scrub is overreacting and leads to bad decisions. Bienemy and Brady personally would be my choices.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i would add in GM candidates as well, if nagy is fired i expect they clean house with pace as well

my top choice is roman, and for GM - dodds followed by hortiz if dodds declines

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Daboll.

Anybody can look good with a great QB. Daboll has been in the league for 20 years and shown he can really grow something in Buffalo.

I still would rather go with a little more of a known commodity, but of those selected, I like Daboll.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Voted for Roman, but it's not gonna happen. They'll give Nagy/Pace 1 more year. The top 4 guys will get hired this or next offseason. The Bears fire both after 2021, and with Louis Riddick begging for the GM job, they'll turn away from the ESPN personality and former player.....instead going with Fox Sports personality, who works with a former player, Skip Bayless.

In an attempt to replicate the enthusiastic college hires of Kliff Kingsbury and Matt Rhule, Bayless will hire an upstart college coach after a 7-5 season and Pinstripe Bowl berth in 2021, from Michigan State......Mel Tucker.
Louis Riddick would be an incredible GM.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, he's saying it's highly unlikely the organization carries his salary for 2 more years.

I know. I was just being facetious.

None of those.

My vote would be for Arthur Smith with the Titans. That’s the type of offense the Bears should be running.

If the Bears were looking for another offensive-minded HC then my top choice would be Arthur Smith as well.

Added Smith to the poll

i would add in GM candidates as well, if nagy is fired i expect they clean house with pace as well

my top choice is roman, and for GM - dodds followed by hortiz if dodds declines

I haven't looked into them yet but can do eventually.