Bears OTAs and other news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know. I am saying I think it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that. I recall people mostly viewing him as a potential W2. I don't think I saw many that truly thought he was a WR1 much less a star.

Fair enough, that's not how I saw it.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<snip>

Coward is a guy who has literally done nothing in the NFL but play some pre-season and done offseason drills and you like how he looks, and that is fine, but once again you are projecting him as a starter on the O-line with very limited game action to back up your projection, not to mention zero regular season NFL game experience.
</snip>

You're right, he hasn't done anything in the NFL, but he has flashed in the pre-season games I've seen him in. You put a guy in, see how he holds his own (or excels), and up the ante to see if he can handle it. I saw the potential too, the same way I thought Cameron Meredith had talent the first time I saw him play in pre-season.

I also give WindyCity props for having played on the OL; that definitely counts for something. I trust my own eyes first, and then when I see others who have experience at a position group or who have a history of good post-game breakdowns (which often agree with my own assessments that I just don't have the time to write up with 4 kids), I see it as confirmation of my own observations (most times, but not all).

I've also been pretty critical of Massie over the years (really in all seasons except last season).

None of that however disproves your point; he hasn't done anything yet.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I didn't say Cam turned into a star, I said I hope you (Windy) are on the money (this time) and a no-name (Coward this time) turns into a star.

I also didn't say Coward had to go from a no-name to a star, I just hope that is what happens... I hope the most extreme case of Windy's optimism comes true.

Need to work on your reading comp.

I guess I need to start writing my posts extremely literally.

And here I forgot why I don't post in the Bears forum very much.
Just like with Cam, I hope you are on the money and a no-name turns into a star for us, but you can't be surprised people are skeptical right now.
That is your quote. That is you saying that Cam, a no-name turned into a star, just like you wish Windy is on the money and Coward turns into a star.

It seems that it is you who needs to understand what you have written.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be surprised if he was bad at OG, it is an easier position and he has shown he can play interior OL at a high level.

If they were moving him to OT that would worry me.

Easy OL Transitions

OT-OG
C-OG

Hard Transitions

OG-OT
OG-C

I agree with what you are saying as a generality but when you are talking about a specific player, that can go out the window pretty quick.

Just saying that Whitehair has to hold up his end for the move to be a net positive. And that is not guaranteed. In his previous stint at G, he went through some shaky stretches.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, but you do see the parallels I hope, right?

You and others championed Cam Meredith after a season where he stat-padded his way into your mind because he was the only above average WR available for much of the year.

It was one season of good stats, and I get the optimism, but it turned into this belief that he was a WR1 or WR2 at worst, when the reality was he was an above average WR who realistically fit the WR3/WR4 role on most teams at that point, and there was unbridled optimism that he was going to step up even more and prove he was a WR1/WR2.

Coward is a guy who has literally done nothing in the NFL but play some pre-season and done offseason drills and you like how he looks, and that is fine, but once again you are projecting him as a starter on the O-line with very limited game action to back up your projection, not to mention zero regular season NFL game experience.

Just like with Cam, I hope you are on the money and a no-name turns into a star for us, but you can't be surprised people are skeptical right now.

RRH and Calahan had no hype machine or outlandish projections last year to my knowledge.... that changed after a full NFL season of sustained success recorded on game tape, and few people would call it outlandish to expect either of them to start or at the very least be heavy in the rotation of their respective defenses.

Alshon Jeffery?

I know. I am saying I think it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that. I recall people mostly viewing him as a potential W2. I don't think I saw many that truly thought he was a WR1 much less a star.

Besides Ryan Pace, who had Meredith as his WR1 going into the 2017 season. ?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I didn't say Cam turned into a star, I said I hope you (Windy) are on the money (this time) and a no-name (Coward this time) turns into a star.

I also didn't say Coward had to go from a no-name to a star, I just hope that is what happens... I hope the most extreme case of Windy's optimism comes true.

Need to work on your reading comp.

I guess I need to start writing my posts extremely literally.

And here I forgot why I don't post in the Bears forum very much.

Many of us are on the Coward train and like how he looked last preseason for his first ever real (kinda) game play on the o-line after switching from DL. But that was just preseason so it would be nice to see if he's good enough to eventually take over a starting spot in regular season games.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
True. Just look at Allen Robinson!
This hurts, but was certainly true last year. This year I predict he will have a very good season. He's had another year to heal from his injury, had the full off-season to train (rather than rehabilitate), and finally, (hopefully) he won't have to worry about being the only guy who can get open. Now we just have to wait and see if #10 can get it done.

EVERYBODY

Liked Posts:
Or Devin Hester, or Johnny Knox.

We might not have a true #1 WR But who cares ? If we can trot out 3 Three #2s and a #3 on every pass snap, that O is gonna riddle any D, especially if Monty can become the player at the second level Nagy and Pace envision.

We now have so many high quality receivers in camp ARob, AntM, Riley, Javon, EHall, and Gabriel that there is a logjam for potential ceiling reaching #2s that can possibly step it up
This BEARS Team is becoming a beautiful thing to behold

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree with what you are saying as a generality but when you are talking about a specific player, that can go out the window pretty quick.

Just saying that Whitehair has to hold up his end for the move to be a net positive. And that is not guaranteed. In his previous stint at G, he went through some shaky stretches.

Agreed.

But an in game position switch and an in OTA position switch are very different.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Many of us are on the Coward train and like how he looked last preseason for his first ever real (kinda) game play on the o-line after switching from DL. But that was just preseason so it would be nice to see if he's good enough to eventually take over a starting spot in regular season games.

With Kyle Long we are almost 100% likely to see Coward in the regular season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Alshon Jeffery?

Besides Ryan Pace, who had Meredith as his WR1 going into the 2017 season. ?

I always thought Meredith could be/was a solid #2.

He had size, good hands, and ran good routes. He was not a dynamic player that was blowing by guys are jump ball dominating, but if he was he would be an unquestioned #1.

Your #2 WR is usually a solid player who can reliably produce 800 yards.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed.

But an in game position switch and an in OTA position switch are very different.
Also Whitehair was playing next Grasu when at guard if my memory serves me correctly.

We can’t underestimate Grasu’s suckage!!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also Whitehair was playing next Grasu when at guard if my memory serves me correctly.

We can’t underestimate Grasu’s suckage!!

He was a black hole of OL suckage.

It really shocks me that Pace blew an OL evaluation that badly, Grasu could not play at all.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was a black hole of OL suckage.

It really shocks me that Pace blew an OL evaluation that badly, Grasu could not play at all.
At least he seems to be learning from past mistakes.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Grasu had an excellent game against Florida State against Eddie Goldman

Grasu was an undersized center, but I don't think anyone projected him to being so physically-overmatched in the NFL. Most draft 'experts' predicted good things for Grasu even if they didn't expect him to be a 1st round pick.

The "irony" is that Grasu was a 4-year starter at Oregon who never missed a game, but I guess he got hurt preparing for the combine and didn't participate. His pro day only had him running...no lifting of weights. Should have been 'red flags' in retrospect, but Pace still drafted him in the 3rd based on Grasu's college career.

The "irony of irony" is that Grasu basically "Kevin White'd" himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.