Bears/Pace kicker clown show continues full speed ahead

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I am glad Nagy and Pace are trying to figure this shit show out early. It was implied by some posters that they were way too early with all this tryout, and pressure tactics, but the reality is that our kicker might not be on the roster.

This team is ready to compete for the playoffs and a Superbowl and the sooner we figure out the kicking situation the better.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Huge difference. A 2 minute drill is to improve the entire offense for a crucial game situation. All these “pressure” situations they are doing are “don’t fuck up like Cody Parkey it we’ll have another competition like this when we ship your ass out of here too”. Not a great way to help a kicker’s confidence.

I get what you are saying, but I think its mitigated by the fact that, in a football landscape that is littered with players at a position where you can have a 20-25 season shelf life, Pace bizarrely has tied the Bears' fate to a revolving door of unproven kickers. If these guys are missing gimme FGs in practice, there is no track record for them (or us) to fall back on. You can't say "once this guy gets his confidence back, he'll start making these FGs", because you've never seen these guys make a FG in an NFL game.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am glad Nagy and Pace are trying to figure this shit show out early. It was implied by some posters that they were way too early with all this tryout, and pressure tactics, but the reality is that our kicker might not be on the roster.

This team is ready to compete for the playoffs and a Superbowl and the sooner we figure out the kicking situation the better.

Little braned @msadows Told me that his reddit boyfriend confirmed that Robbie Gould will be on the Bears come week 1... so don't worry!

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

LOL at this. The shit show is Pace's own creation. I'm not sure what the Bears have "figured out" at this point, other than it was probably a bad idea to get rid of Bednarski and the guys they kept are obviously no better than Parkey.

A two-day kicker "tryout" in May is absurd, historically unprecedented, and not helpful. Pace hasn't been able to evaluate the kicker position in 5 years (Barf, Aguayo, Santos, Parkey)...but we should expect him to pick a 'winner' in 48 hours? Good lord.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
LOL at this. The shit show is Pace's own creation. I'm not sure what the Bears have "figured out" at this point, other than it was probably a bad idea to get rid of Bednarski and the guys they kept are obviously no better than Parkey.

A two-day kicker "tryout" in May is absurd, historically unprecedented, and not helpful. Pace hasn't been able to evaluate the kicker position in 5 years (Barf, Aguayo, Santos, Parkey)...but we should expect him to pick a 'winner' in 48 hours? Good lord.
It sounds like you would rather have Pace try to keep doing the same thing he has done for the last 5 year?

BTW, I don't think they are going to let Pace go for his failures at the kicking position, so we are stuck with him, no matter how much you would like to believe that your whining is going to change things.

I would rather have "absurd" tryouts, kicker consultants, video analysis, CFL goals, silent pressure kicks at any distance they want and starting the "absurd" approach way too early than too late.

Bednarski is still out there on the street, correct? And I think that they determined that he has issues with his trajectory (flight of the ball terminology), so while he might have a strong leg, he might be striking the ball too low (getting it blocked a lot) or too high (getting it pushed around by the wind).

I would be ok with Gould coming back, but that does not appear to be an option at this time.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It sounds like you would rather have Pace try to keep doing the same thing he has done for the last 5 year?

BTW, I don't think they are going to let Pace go for his failures at the kicking position, so we are stuck with him, no matter how much you would like to believe that your whining is going to change things.

I would rather have "absurd" tryouts, kicker consultants, video analysis, CFL goals, silent pressure kicks at any distance they want and starting the "absurd" approach way too early than too late.

Bednarski is still out there on the street, correct? And I think that they determined that he has issues with his trajectory (flight of the ball terminology), so while he might have a strong leg, he might be striking the ball too low (getting it blocked a lot) or too high (getting it pushed around by the wind).

I would be ok with Gould coming back, but that does not appear to be an option at this time.

I don't think anyone wants Pace to do what he has done previously, but what they did early was a bit odd.

I don't have an issue with the Bears bringing in a lot of kickers, but there is a perception that because the Bears have F'ed up the situation over the past few years that what they are doing now is odd and stupid.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone wants Pace to do what he has done previously, but what they did early was a bit odd.

I don't have an issue with the Bears bringing in a lot of kickers, but there is a perception that because the Bears have F'ed up the situation over the past few years that what they are doing now is odd and stupid.

If being proactive is odd and stupid, then I need to start looking for "odd and stupid" in my next vacancy search. Doing everything early and thinking outside the box is how shit gets done, and I will take that any day.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I am glad the Bears arent worried about perception and feelings. Our kicker sucked. Continuously. So there is now an open god damned tryout that started as early as humanly fucking possible to find the tallest midget of the what is out there. This is fine by me.
Is it odd? Maybe?
Ya know what else is odd? A fanbase having to jack off to an team that won a title 35 years ago.
I say the Bears do whatever it takes. Are they playing and practicing to win a title or are they holding shrink sessions and peace pipe feelings meetings?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

HUH?

HUH?

I wouldn't. For like the 18th time, have you ever heard of an NFL doing this in MAY? Two day mass kicker tryouts? Its historically unprecedented. You keep acting like Pace is just following 'normal procedure', when empirically he is doing the opposite. Even after the mass tryouts, they sent home the guy who made his kicks and brought in more new kickers. Its incredibly pointless and not an accurate way to gauge a kicker.

I remember I was part of a job search committee, and the head of the committee didn't want to actually try to look through resumes, research the applicants, find what would connect them well to the position, etc., ...so instead she simply brought in the 15 "top" candidates for short interviews all in one day. After sitting through the 8th interview, I could hardly remember my own name. Not surprisingly, we ended up hiring the most shallow, unqualified person for the job because the person gave the best/most innocuous 10-second soundbite answers. It was a disaster.

Bednarski is still out there on the street, correct?

I'm sorry, why wouldn't he be? Are other NFL teams bringing in busloads of kickers every weekend for tryouts? I'm guessing if these guys aren't on the Bears, they aren't going to be getting guaranteed signing bonuses from the Patriots.

And I think that they determined that he has issues with his trajectory (flight of the ball terminology), so while he might have a strong leg, he might be striking the ball too low (getting it blocked a lot) or too high (getting it pushed around by the wind).

So the Bears never saw Bednarski kick a football prior to offering him a tryout?? I assumed once you are deemed good enough to get a tryout, it is a binary performance judgement. Do you make FGs/do you miss FGs? If the Bears gave Bednarski a tryout sight unseen, then that would go a long way to explaining things.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If being proactive is odd and stupid, then I need to start looking for "odd and stupid" in my next vacancy search. Doing everything early and thinking outside the box is how shit gets done, and I will take that any day.

You haven't been understanding what people are saying. Its not the fact that they are looking for a kicker. We all know they need a kicker.

Its the fact that they brought in a bunch of guys and then almost immediately dismissed a few based on a few kicks from the magic yard line...

What they are doing know seems fine, but the beginning of the search was odd.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
You haven't been understanding what people are saying. Its not the fact that they are looking for a kicker. We all know they need a kicker.

Its the fact that they brought in a bunch of guys and then almost immediately dismissed a few based on a few kicks from the magic yard line...

What they are doing know seems fine, but the beginning of the search was odd.

Why does this tryout seems odd, but were those initial kickers really just asked to kick a 43 yarder and then sent on there way or was there some other analysis, and were there many other distances they were asked to kick from.

The article below clearly says that they kicked the 43 yarder at the END of practice.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...ils-bears-rookie-minicamp-kicking-competition

It also talks about the technology that was tracking every kick, and that the weight of every kick was emphasized.

This was a tryout, and just like if it was a lineman or CB or RB or WR they are going to have them go through drills along with actually performing their skill.

A TRYOUT, no matter what position, is NOT very likely to be sign immediately, if at all.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why does this tryout seems odd, but were those initial kickers really just asked to kick a 43 yarder and then sent on there way or was there some other analysis, and were there many other distances they were asked to kick from.

The article below clearly says that they kicked the 43 yarder at the END of practice.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...ils-bears-rookie-minicamp-kicking-competition

It also talks about the technology that was tracking every kick, and that the weight of every kick was emphasized.

This was a tryout, and just like if it was a lineman or CB or RB or WR they are going to have them go through drills along with actually performing their skill.

A TRYOUT, no matter what position, is NOT very likely to be sign immediately, if at all.

tryouts not odd....it just seems like they have a revolving door of kickers trying trying out. I honestly have never seen a franchise bring in a parade of kickers like this...

If the Bears hadn't f'ed up the kicking position over the past few years, I'd probably give them more of a leeway on getting a new kicker.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
tryouts not odd....it just seems like they have a revolving door of kickers trying trying out. I honestly have never seen a franchise bring in a parade of kickers like this...

If the Bears hadn't f'ed up the kicking position over the past few years, I'd probably give them more of a leeway on getting a new kicker.
When Nagy was hired to be the Head Coach did you think things would be "normal".

Nagy and Pace screwed up last year, and they are doing everything possible to not repeat.

I don't care if they bring in 80 kickers, I sure as hell don't hire people based upon a resume alone, I want to speak to the person.

Last year they went out and got Parkey based upon less information than they now have on the parade of kicker that they have had come through the organization this preseason.

The phrase, "leave no stone unturned" comes to mind. And if that mean doing things in an unorthodox manner, then I am 100% behind it...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
When Nagy was hired to be the Head Coach did you think things would be "normal".

Nagy and Pace screwed up last year, and they are doing everything possible to not repeat.

I don't care if they bring in 80 kickers, I sure as hell don't hire people based upon a resume alone, I want to speak to the person.

Last year they went out and got Parkey based upon less information than they now have on the parade of kicker that they have had come through the organization this preseason.

The phrase, "leave no stone unturned" comes to mind. And if that mean doing things in an unorthodox manner, then I am 100% behind it...

Yes, I thought Nagy would bring a sense of normalcy compared to the Fox and Trestman experiences we went through..

They really aren't leaving no stone unturned though......they started out with a parade of kickers and cut a few in quick order, yet one of the leagues best is sitting around.

If they find a kicker I'll be happy, but I don't think it will be due to how they started this process.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nagy and Pace don't need to be unorthodox, they just need to do things differently than most. - Matt Millen

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Not really. Kickers perform a singular, defined rote skill. That's it. Its unlike CB/RB/WR who need to perform multiple tasks, sometimes on a single play. If I am hiring an accountant, I'm not going to say "I am impressed with your 15 years of auditing experience, but your typing skills just aren't up to snuff. Sorry."