Bears prepare to tag Robinson in order to continue working on extension.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Between Tarik Cohen coming back and some expected development out of Darnell Mooney and Cole Kmet the Bears will probably still have an OK stable of weapons even if Allen Robinson II departs. I think its actually really important they find somebody who can replace Jimmy Graham (who is obviously going to be cut).
I could see JG restructuring and staying. Seems like the Bears really like him and he had the most receiving TDs on the team.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Between Tarik Cohen coming back and some expected development out of Darnell Mooney and Cole Kmet the Bears will probably still have an OK stable of weapons even if Allen Robinson II departs. I think its actually really important they find somebody who can replace Jimmy Graham (who is obviously going to be cut).
NO way. Even with Robinson, the Bears WRs were among the worst and Robinson was a huge percentage of the production. Money has speed, but is small and not a No. 1 receiver. Kmet showed very little as a receiver. So even with Robinson, WR should be a top priority in the draft.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
NO way. Even with Robinson, the Bears WRs were among the worst and Robinson was a huge percentage of the production. Money has speed, but is small and not a No. 1 receiver. Kmet showed very little as a receiver. So even with Robinson, WR should be a top priority in the draft.

Once again this "small" thing is flawed reason as is having a #1. If size is your problem, Tyreek Hill, Tyler Lockett, Brandin Cooks and DJ More would all like a word with you. All of them 5'10/5'11 and 180-190. Mooney is 5'10/176 so he fits right in with those guys. Each of them either lead their team in receptions or yards, the sign of a "#1" as people say.

Allen Robinson is great but if the bears have to cut salary, then there are plenty of WR in this draft that we can take 2nd/3rd Round because this is also a deep WR draft.

In the Today's NFL, with running 4 and 5 wide sets, its all about the collection of WR (and TE) talent. A true "#1" in the old school way of thinking is not needed.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Once again this "small" thing is flawed reason as is having a #1. If size is your problem, Tyreek Hill, Tyler Lockett, Brandin Cooks and DJ More would all like a word with you. All of them 5'10/5'11 and 180-190. Mooney is 5'10/176 so he fits right in with those guys. Each of them either lead their team in receptions or yards, the sign of a "#1" as people say.

Allen Robinson is great but if the bears have to cut salary, then there are plenty of WR in this draft that we can take 2nd/3rd Round because this is also a deep WR draft.

In the Today's NFL, with running 4 and 5 wide sets, its all about the collection of WR (and TE) talent. A true "#1" in the old school way of thinking is not needed.
Have to disagree with you. Take away Robinson's 1250 yards and the numbers are absolutely pathetic. This team needs more playmakers and production at WR. Failure to provide whoever plays QB with more receiving talent absolutely guarantees failure. Although I agree WR should be targeted with a top draft pick, reliance on a rookie is always a big gamble.

DB012031

Liked Posts:

And as a follow up, lets me honest, its not like
Have to disagree with you. Take away Robinson's 1250 yards and the numbers are absolutely pathetic. This team needs more playmakers and production at WR. Failure to provide whoever plays QB with more receiving talent absolutely guarantees failure. Although I agree WR should be targeted with a top draft pick, reliance on a rookie is always a big gamble.

That's a fair point but we also cannot look at numbers in a vacuum. Take away Robinsons 1250 yards, yea, you can say "Oh our offense is terrible" but if you take away his numbers, that means those 1250 yards are then going to be distributed to everyone else on the team. So, take Robinson away, Mooney gets more early playing time as does Kemt. Anthony Miller becomes a bigger part of the offense and Riley/Wims (when not professionally punching people) also see more playing time.

In a way, you are actually agreeing with my point that the concept of a true #1 is overrated and that you need a collection of talent at WR in today's modern NFL (per your comment of we need more playmakers at WR). Mooney had 50+ less targets than AR and barely saw the field the first few games. Give him the same reps and targets, he would have gone well over 1000 yards. If we are looking at building for the future, its best to potentially let AR walk and draft some more young WR to move forward.

Now I am a huge AR fan so i don't like saying the above about a #1 being an overrated concept, but it is what it is.

The Bear's biggest issue is not WR, although we definitely need to improve there, its the QB position AND a clear lack of identity on offense.

napo55

Liked Posts:
And as a follow up, lets me honest, its not like

That's a fair point but we also cannot look at numbers in a vacuum. Take away Robinsons 1250 yards, yea, you can say "Oh our offense is terrible" but if you take away his numbers, that means those 1250 yards are then going to be distributed to everyone else on the team. So, take Robinson away, Mooney gets more early playing time as does Kemt. Anthony Miller becomes a bigger part of the offense and Riley/Wims (when not professionally punching people) also see more playing time.

In a way, you are actually agreeing with my point that the concept of a true #1 is overrated and that you need a collection of talent at WR in today's modern NFL (per your comment of we need more playmakers at WR). Mooney had 50+ less targets than AR and barely saw the field the first few games. Give him the same reps and targets, he would have gone well over 1000 yards. If we are looking at building for the future, its best to potentially let AR walk and draft some more young WR to move forward.

Now I am a huge AR fan so i don't like saying the above about a #1 being an overrated concept, but it is what it is.

The Bear's biggest issue is not WR, although we definitely need to improve there, its the QB position AND a clear lack of identity on offense.

You have a lot more confidence in Anthony Miller, Riley, and Wims than I do. I see them as marginal talents. To me WR is at the top of needs (along with O line and QB.)

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
A tag-and-trade seems to be the only plausible option at this point. Try to move up or take a Day 2 pick and move on. This team will need to change up this group. Regardless of what they decide to do in FA, plans to pick one on Day 1 or 2 need to most certainly happen.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Its the right move. Save the money and get an asset out of it. I think the demand for Robinson II is going to be much higher than people think, a lot of teams are needing legit weapons of exactly his profile. There is no reason to let him walk and the impact a $20m per year contract can have on the offensive line has the potential to do wonders for this offense.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
You have a lot more confidence in Anthony Miller, Riley, and Wims than I do. I see them as marginal talents. To me WR is at the top of needs (along with O line and QB.)

I agree, WR needs to be at the top of the Bears needs list. The point I have been really stressing is that the concept of a True #1 WR is an overrated concept, its all about the quality of the group and their attributes.

For example, we don't have that 6'3+ Jump Ball type of receiver that would be a great addition to our team. I would love for the Bears to look at say Nico Collins out of Michigan in the mid to late rounds.