Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m shocked at how many people are saying: “ok, now we can cut Prince.”

If Pace is relying on this guy to be a starter then he’s an even bigger idiot than I already think he is. You don’t anoint CFL players as starters people!

This should be a depth type signing that you hope transitions to a starter down the road. He certainly shouldn’t be pencilled in as a starter as some people suggest.
You're not wrong but I suspect it's an aspect of the signing. The Bear will attempt to use the extra 7M elsewhere. Amakamura's fate may be tied to who the Bear can sign in FA to bolster other parts of the roster.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
The big problem we have is that we don't have cap and don't have high draft picks. And maybe more importantly, outside Bradbury the corner free agents are gross. Mostly old guys and nickel corners.

He's obviously not a lock to start, but he's certainly talented enough to win that job. He's not just a flier that will be camp body like most CFL players.

Like it or not, we can't put 100% can't lose NFL starter at every position. No team can do that but the more guys you can add as competition the better. The best thing here is that he has talent, he has upside, he doesn't cost a draft pick, he won't be expensive. 9 other teams had the same idea and he chose the Bears.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Good chance that a player like this is going to get a prove it type deal (probably not a huge difference in $ among the offers because none are going to be really high), and therefore he's likely to chose the option where he thinks he will get to prove it. Doesn't seem likely that he's going to pick a place where that competition is a $10mil starter. JMHO.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Does anyone really give a shit what the bears do on defense? Trubisky still fucking sucks so it doesn’t matter

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is Roberson the best QB that Pace has brought in during his time in Chicago?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is a very good player. The reason he was in Canada is because he was switching positions. He was one of the best defensive players in the league in Canada.

I think he is coming in to compete with Tolliver at CB2 so they can move on from Prince and move that money to the offense.

Personally, I love the signing. You are going to be hard pressed to find a player with more upside and potential in free agency for 2 million/season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is going to compete with Tolliver and give the Bears another option. They are going cheap at CB2 so they need options and competition.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure everyone has said he can compete with Toliver to replace Prince (some even mentioned a draft pick and Shelley). But go off though.

LOL. You even thanked Remys post that said bye Prince.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is going to compete with Tolliver and give the Bears another option. They are going cheap at CB2 so they need options and competition.
I love the thought of bringing in players to compete... Um, Offense please?!?!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love the thought of bringing in players to compete... Um, Offense please?!?!

They will with the money they save.

This is a nice cheap add, that likely keeps the total spend at CB2 to under 4 million, which means you actually save money cutting Prince, rather then just spending it all again.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He is a very good player. The reason he was in Canada is because he was switching positions. He was one of the best defensive players in the league in Canada.

I think he is coming in to compete with Tolliver at CB2 so they can move on from Prince and move that money to the offense.

Personally, I love the signing. You are going to be hard pressed to find a player with more upside and potential in free agency for 2 million/season.

the reason he was in Canada was because he couldn’t hack it on an NFL practice squad. He had two years on the Vikings per Briggs. The guy only looked like a player after going down sharply in competition. I’m not saying it won’t work out but this guy should be competing for a roster spot and not a starter spot.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
LOL. You even thanked Remys post that said bye Prince.

Yes, because Prince is going to be cut. He was going to be before this move, but this just assures it. Has nothing to do with anyone penciling Roberson in as starter, which is the claim YOU made that I am arguing against. *insert condescending LOL*

dennehy

Liked Posts:
the reason he was in Canada was because he couldn’t hack it on an NFL practice squad. He had two years on the Vikings per Briggs. The guy only looked like a player after going down sharply in competition. I’m not saying it won’t work out but this guy should be competing for a roster spot and not a starter spot.

So do you expect a guy to move from quarterback to cornerback and instantly have success in the NFL? That seems like a big ask. Those skill sets are a bit different.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m shocked at how many people are saying: “ok, now we can cut Prince.”

If Pace is relying on this guy to be a starter then he’s an even bigger idiot than I already think he is. You don’t anoint CFL players as starters people!

This should be a depth type signing that you hope transitions to a starter down the road. He certainly shouldn’t be pencilled in as a starter as some people suggest.

People were saying goodbye to Prince before this move lest you forget your thread about it and our discussions around Tolliver and other cheaper FAs than Prince.

So not sure why this comes as a shock. He can compete with Tolliver for the starting job. The smart move has always been to move on from Prince as we have bigger needs. If it comes down to Prince and weaker upgrades on the OL or Tolliver/Roberson and stronger upgrades at OL, I take the latter.

If Pace fucks it up it is not because it was the wrong move. It is because Pace is simply bad at evaluating talent but this move has to be made IMO. We need the money for bigger needs.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes, because Prince is going to be cut. He was going to be before this move, but this just assures it. Has nothing to do with anyone penciling Roberson in as starter, which is the claim YOU made that I am arguing against. *insert condescending LOL*

One sentence says this move assures Prince will be cut. Your very next sentence says it has nothing to do with penciling him in as a starter. Make up your damn mind already....

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

He was playing a position he probably hadn't played since high school at the highest possible level. There's not a single team that would have put him on the 53 after just a single training camp at CB. And it just so happened, the team he was on was loaded at the CB position. Waynes and Rhodes at starters. They've had guys like Alexander, Mike Hughes, Kris Boyd, and Holton Hill as backups, who they've drafted since they had Roberson. So he was probably in the worst situation for him to break thru as a CB.

People improve, especially when learning new positions on the complete opposite side of the ball. Players get in bad situations. People were just giving the Bears shit for getting rid of Mostert. He will almost certainly have a roster spot based on the money they will pay him.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So do you expect a guy to move from quarterback to cornerback and instantly have success in the NFL? That seems like a big ask. Those skill sets are a bit different.

He had two years to make the switch before he went to the CFL.