2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Well, the only way he's on the roster at all is if he outright wins the kicking job...
I was responding to the post because he said the kicker needs to be on the roster for the entire season, which is wrong

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So they spent a draft pick on a kicker after all.
no, the kicker needs to be on the roster for 5 games. It's a win/win. We either cut him and lose nothing or we see something worthwhile and has shown us something that only costs us a 2021 7th round pick. Another great Pace moe

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well...they spent a draft pick on a former UDFA that has never played an NFL game...yes

That wasn't the idea or how that works I don't think.

I suppose the 5 games covers activation even in the case of a PUP stint.

I guess if you are going to hire a consultant to run a competition you better get that consultant a horse or two in the race of their own selection and given the connection it looks like thats what this is.

Another angle is the apparent culture fit. This looks to be a kicker with leadership/work ethic attributes. He will fit in well and is the lead horse but we can't count Fry out yet.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Sign him. He’s good enough to risk a season. Kickers are going to miss field goals. It just happens. It’s just hoping they don’t miss big time clutch kicks. I don’t mind some missed here and there. But not as consistent as Parkey was this past season.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
so this is the guy that get us Gould.
a kicker that is still unproven in the NFL(you have to kick lots of balls to be proven), Unless the new guy is legit then we don't have to worry about Gould.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
no, the kicker needs to be on the roster for 5 games. It's a win/win. We either cut him and lose nothing or we see something worthwhile and has shown us something that only costs us a 2021 7th round pick. Another great Pace moe

I didn’t say it was a bad move.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

I don’t like the local media’s reaction on the kicking competition and the trade. They keep outwardly saying that it’s ridiculous that we’re all talking about the kicking position in an NFL offseason.

It makes perfect sense, though. That’s actually a GIANT position of importance that can win or lose you games, even in January (as we saw). It SHOULD be getting a lot of attention.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don’t like the local media’s reaction on the kicking competition and the trade. They keep outwardly saying that it’s ridiculous that we’re all talking about the kicking position in an NFL offseason.

It makes perfect sense, though. That’s actually a GIANT position of importance that can win or lose you games, even in January (as we saw). It SHOULD be getting a lot of attention.
Here are the 2018 point scored leaders. It was a banner year because there was 1 player (Gurley) that was NOT a kicker. It is usually ruled by kickers.

1.Ka'imi Fairbairn • HOU150 2.Justin Tucker • BAL141 3.Harrison Butker • KAN137 4.Wil Lutz • NOR136 5.Todd Gurley • LAR132 6.Stephen Gostkowski • NWE130 7.Jason Myers • NYJ129 8.Aldrick Rosas • NYG127 9.Robbie Gould • SFO126 10.Mason Crosby • GNB124

The reporters are idiots because they don't know that kickers are an extremely important position.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Terrible article. It mocks the process and the article ends with: "Find a guy. Stop missing kicks. "

I didn't know Dan Bernstein could write, so I am still impressed with the article. I love Bernstein/Haugh/Biggs articles that end with a flourish of inarguable logic..."The Offense is broke. Fix it." or "The Defense needs to stop giving up points. Period." Makes you put down the newspaper while nodding your head.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I like the move, within a couple of games or even practices you should know how he does. It is not going to cost a lot to find out and if he's our future kicker it is not going to cost a lot.

I'm not worried about him hitting field goals in practice or preseason games or the 2nd-3rd quarter kicks in the regular season games, it will come down to if he can kick the game winner with the pressure on or in Soldier Field when it's cold and windy out or any high pressure kicks.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Sign him. He’s good enough to risk a season. Kickers are going to miss field goals. It just happens. It’s just hoping they don’t miss big time clutch kicks. I don’t mind some missed here and there. But not as consistent as Parkey was this past season.

Last year was actually crazy with missed field goals and missed extra points by multiple kickers. Even some of the best were missing chip shots and extra points like M.Crosby, S.Gostkowski, C.Boswell and D.Bailey all had bad games.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Here are the 2018 point scored leaders. It was a banner year because there was 1 player (Gurley) that was NOT a kicker. It is usually ruled by kickers.

1.Ka'imi Fairbairn • HOU150 2.Justin Tucker • BAL141 3.Harrison Butker • KAN137 4.Wil Lutz • NOR136 5.Todd Gurley • LAR132 6.Stephen Gostkowski • NWE130 7.Jason Myers • NYJ129 8.Aldrick Rosas • NYG127 9.Robbie Gould • SFO126 10.Mason Crosby • GNB124

The reporters are idiots because they don't know that kickers are an extremely important position.

Hopefully we'll get lucky like the Giants did finding that A.Rosas kid who was great for them last year. Some of the best kickers were found/signed as UDFA's.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm curious, are there rules against cutting a player just before that conditional timeline and then re-signing? Like, could we cut him game 4, and then re-sign him again for another 4 games, cut him again? Or is it just 5 games total throughout the season?

That would potentially backfire on you. A) no GM would want to trust you anymore. B) aYou would have to write him an entirely new contract. Right now he is under contact for peanuts, if he plays for 4 weeks and looks great he will not sign for peanuts again, plus another team May sign him

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Last year was actually crazy with missed field goals and missed extra points by multiple kickers. Even some of the best were missing chip shots and extra points like M.Crosby, S.Gostkowski, C.Boswell and D.Bailey all had bad games.

Yeah, imagine that...more than one kicker in the NFL missed a kick last year. Multiple kickers!

Parkey had 3 things against him...empirically leading the NFL in missed kicks (10), subjectively missing multiple game-deciding kicks, and financially being the 3rd highest paid kicker in the NFL.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Pace petitioning NFL for a 53 man kicker roster

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It is ridiculously good that all we have to talk about now is a #2 TE and a K.

This team is stacked.