Bears would trade out of 1st for historic haul

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Simple. Even if they are gung ho for Caleb you still want offers for No 1 so that all bases are covered.
What does it mean to cover all bases?

Why leak it?

There are plenty of teams that drafted QBs at 1 without any rumors?

It just seems odd that they would say something at this point.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Well, that source could just be someone who has invested their opinion in going all in on Caleb Williams. Poles should not make any decision on the matter until he has fully scouted the QB prospects and brought them in for interviews.

Right now, it is to the team's best advantage to get two or three other teams in the mindset of a crazy bid. If you dont offer a crazy trade, you don't get the top pick. That will have Atlanta (who is a stone's throw from winning that division), New England and Washington contemplating how much they can afford to give away.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Why leak it?

Who are these teams? Can you give an example? After they traded for 1 last year the Panthers still claimed they could trade No 1.

We know nothing about this source and I imagine like anything there are some in Halas Hall that lean drafting a QB and some that lean sticking with Fields. You are acting like they quoted Poles.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Simple. Everything in business has a price.

They article literally says,Chicago would need a historic haul of draft picks and overall compensation to move off the first pick of the 2024 NFL Draft, sources say. In the words of one source, it would have to be "crazy."

So if the Commanders offer the #2OA , 2 additional 1's and 2 2's even the Caleb Cult side would have pause about turning it down and may switch to the Field Stans side

Last year the Bears traded the #1 OA with a value of 3000 for a total of 2500 plus DJ Moore. Good trade at the time that turned out great.

Don't think Poles picks up the phone for anything less than a Herschel Walker type trade this offseason.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who are these teams? Can you give an example? After they traded for 1 last year the Panthers still claimed they could trade No 1.

We know nothing about this source and I imagine like anything there are some in Halas Hall that lean drafting a QB and some that lean sticking with Fields. You are acting like they quoted Poles.
Joe Burrows

I don’t think there was anything substantive about the Bengals trading out.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is in contrast ,to say the Bengals, when Schefter reported on Jan 20 that nothing would change their mind

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Why leak it?

Because it shows how much they are set on Caleb Williams. They will only listen to some team giving up the most that has ever been given up for the #1 pick in the history of the NFL and at the same time it tells teams that they are open for business on a Fields trade.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
this is in contrast ,to say the Bengals, when Schefter reported on Jan 20 that nothing would change their mind
If the Bears were coming off a 2-14 season in Justin Fields' (Andy Dalton) 9th season with 4 losing seasons in a row, I doubt there would be much talk about or fan controversy about trading the pick

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Here's the reality guys. Right now the talk would be whether the Bears were going to draft Drake Maye or Caleb Williams If This Were just a normal draft. When other teams have had the number one pick and quarterbacks were available, and they were going to take a quarterback, that's where all the discussion in the media is. When there's a clear top choice, that's where the discussion in the media is and has been in the past.

Yet the media keep talking about " It would take a historic haul" for the Bears to trade out.

This serves multiple functions.

* it raises the asking price for the pick
* it still leaves the door open for teams to make offers. Keep in mind, other teams in this situation have flat said they weren't trading the pick and instead going to draft a quarterback
* it bolsters Caleb Williams' profile, that not only did he get picked number one overall but that a team traded the farm for him. Instead of hiring an agent he's hired a PR firm to represent him so he cares about his image.

Going back, if what Colin Cowherd originally leaked was true, then what that means is the Bears and the Williams camp have come to an agreement and a plan where both sides get what they want. Williams can help with that by liking all the Chicago Bear tweets further cementing the idea that he's going to Chicago, and driving asking price up further.

Combine that with the rumors of Washington being willing to offer up a Godfather type deal and the Bears, if I am right, are ratcheting up the pressure to squeeze the last drop of blood out of that turnip and get the maximum possible from Washington. Which also explains why Paul said he might take this to draft day. Once the draft starts, you can get an extra first round pick in a future draft.

Look I'm not saying this is what will happen. But I'm also saying it would be silly to call it conspiracy theory and not think it can't happen because they are playing it close to the vest and playing it exactly right if they intend to trade the pick for a haul...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because it shows how much they are set on Caleb Williams. They will only listen to some team giving up the most that has ever been given up for the #1 pick in the history of the NFL and at the same time it tells teams that they are open for business on a Fields trade.
Then why not be Joe Burrows set?

“We aren’t trading it.”

I don’t think there is as much difference between the top 2-3 QBs.

I don’t think NFL teams are clear on Williams being the clearly best QB in the draft.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Other teams in the position the Bears are in now didn't handle it the way the Bears are handling it right now. Hate to break it to you but they just flat out say they're picking their guy and they say they aren't trading the pick or listening to offers.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Bears would require historic haul to trade No. 1 pick
Bears would need historic compensation to trade No. 1 overall pick in 2024 NFL Draft

Why would the Bears even float the idea of trading out of the 1st slot if they are guaranteed to pick Williams?
For the very title of this thread:

Because of the chance of getting a historic haul for trading the #1 pick.

Think of it as a gangster offering 'an offer you can't refuse' but it being an actual offer he can't refuse, something like selling your shabby house for millions of dollars, a 10 million dollar mansion in a place of your choosing and a retirement plan to compensate for the job you might end up losing because of the move with a pension plan that is over 100 times what you would have gotten if you worked at that job for the rest of your life.