My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Tre McBride and Josh Bellamy were at center of Bears shouting match Monday
Rich Campbell

Here are a couple things we learned at Halas Hall on Wednesday:

Josh Bellamy and Tre McBride were at the center of the shouting match overheard by reporters Monday

The two receivers were involved in a dispute in their position meeting room, and it spilled into the hallway that runs between that room and the media room, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation.

No punches were thrown, one person said. Bellamy was overheard yelling at McBride repeatedly to “get your mind right” in addition to obscenities. The Bears cut McBride on Tuesday afternoon, and Bellamy did not make himself available to reporters Wednesday.

“I didn’t hear it,” coach John Fox said, “but I can just say that that happens on the sideline, that happens in meetings, that happens all the time. I just think that room is closer to y’all than I probably would have designed it. I think that’s par for the course in football. That’s not the first argument I’ve ever experienced.”

Fox said the decision to waive McBride was “just kind of churning the roster” as the team sits at 3-8 riding a four-game losing streak.

Monday’s shouting match could have factored in cutting McBride, but the Bears also were displeased by how their receivers played in Sunday’s 31-3 loss to the Eagles. It’s worth noting Bellamy was promoted over McBride Nov. 12, but Bellamy missed the Eagles game because of a concussion, enabling McBride to play 78 percent of the snaps.

In fact, Bellamy and McBride swapped places on the depth chart several times this season after McBride was claimed off waivers Sept. 3.

Bellamy was demoted in favor of McBride in Week 5. Then the Bears reversed that coming out of the open date against the Packers on Nov. 12. Bellamy, however, was concussed against the Lions on Nov. 19, giving McBride another opportunity to play.

Since Sunday’s blowout, Fox and offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains each attributed part of quarterback Mitch Trubisky’s inaccuracy to sloppy route running.

“The thing that was most disappointing for me in the passing game is the uncontested, outside-the-number throws,” Loggains said. “To be completely honest, a lot of it wasn’t on him.

“When it’s the depth — when you’ve got to run a 10-yard route and you run it at 8, it’s going look bad. It’s going to look like the ball sprang and it’s inaccurate, but he was going to the right spot with the ball.”

Bellamy was pegged as a top special teams player before injuries ravaged the receivers depth chart. Fox has repeatedly praised him in the past for his energy. He returned to practice Wednesday.

Meanwhile, McBride’s Bears tenure ended with eight catches for 144 yards. His three-catch, 92-yard game against the Saints on Oct. 29 is the best single-game yardage total by a Bears receiver this season.

Loggains said the decision to cut him was made by general manager Ryan Pace and Fox.

“I think he has a chance to play in the NFL,” Loggains said. “He needs to keep getting better and keep working every day and I hope he gets another shot at it.”

Danny Trevathan was back on the practice field

Trevathan hadn’t practiced since Oct. 27, the Friday before the Week 8 game in New Orleans. So his return was notable with the veteran linebacker fully expecting to play this weekend against the 49ers.

“It feels like (a go) right now,” he said. “I’m just going to go day-by-day. It feels good. And it just feels good to be out there to be honest. I’ve been sitting around. I’m grateful to be back out there and I’m going to stay out there as long as I can.

Trevathan was sidelined for all of the Bears’ November games, watching helplessly as the Bears slid from 3-5 to 3-8. He acknowledged his frustration in being out for so long with a calf strain that he suffered late in the loss to the Saints.

“It hurts to see your team out there and you can’t be out there with them to do anything,” Trevathan said.

Trevathan was also asked about the growing speculation about Fox’s job security. Trevathan played for Fox with the Broncos for his first three seasons in the league (2012-14) before reuniting with the coach with the Bears in 2016.

“Foxy’s my guy,” Trevathan said. “And he’s my coach right now. :lmao:And that (job security) stuff is handled up there. I’m just looking forward to playing with the team.”

Last edited:

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Bellamy at least runs good routes and gets open. Still not sure how he stillhas catching issues... maybe if he keeps getting the ball in game it'll get better??? Bears ideology there....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bellamy is like herpes.

Dude has no business on an NFL roster and now gets into an altercation with a team mate and the other guy is the only one who gets cut.

I can't stand Bellamy.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Bellamy at least runs good routes and gets open. Still not sure how he stillhas catching issues... maybe if he keeps getting the ball in game it'll get better??? Bears ideology there....

Bellamy is actually a really good #5 WR and maybe even a #4 but we all know his problem is his hands.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Bellamy is like herpes.

Dude has no business on an NFL roster and now gets into an altercation with a team mate and the other guy is the only one who gets cut.

I can't stand Bellamy.

Bellamy definitely has a place on an NFL roster. Between his special teams ability and some ability to run routes and get down the field, he is an ideal type of player at the end of a team's WR depth chart. Of course, he's the Bears #2 so......

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Bellamy definitely has a place on an NFL roster. Between his special teams ability and some ability to run routes and get down the field, he is an ideal type of player at the end of a team's WR depth chart. Of course, he's the Bears #2 so......

Yeah he's definitely a NFL player especially on special teams. People get a little crazy on here because he's had some big drops but the guy is definitely worth a 53 spot.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah he's definitely a NFL player especially on special teams. People get a little crazy on here because he's had some big drops but the guy is definitely worth a 53 spot.

Honestly, his drops haven't been that big considering the Bears haven't played a big game in 4 years.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
“I didn’t hear it,” coach John Fox said, “but I can just say that that happens on the sideline, that happens in meetings, that happens all the time.

Wait... wasn't this the guy that was supposed to bring our locker room together?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He doesn't make 30 other NFL rosters. Routes are teachable hands are not.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A couple of ciphers . . . the Bears can't even have a team controversy that's interesting . . .

This is like a drama movie that turned into an unintentional comedy

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I wonder who he has pictures of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bellamy is like herpes.

I can't stand Bellamy.

I love how personal it is for you. Your vagina aches really make me laugh.

"I cant stand Bellamy"? Lol, do you know him, did he bang your wife, does he owe someone you know money? Its great.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I thought loggins comments about route depth were really interesting. Accuracy was one of trubisky' s strengths in college, and on the surface he has struggled with that lately. His footwork needs work but it also makes sense if he is throwing to a spot that the receiver is suppose to be at. It explains the interception that ended the saints game. It's amazing how much difference a couple of yards can make. The any given Sunday speech is true, football really is a game of inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
A couple of ciphers . . . the Bears can't even have a team controversy that's interesting . . .

It was actually interesting. It was exactly like the Brandon Marshall meltdown, but with the new field goal kicker instead of Gould.

Bellamy said something like, "You're just a kicker ... and what the hell did you say?" as he was confused when new kicker Cairo Santos started speaking in Portuguese.