Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Just looking at next year. A rookie QB won't be ready to see the field. So which QB would you want to be a backup for Jay until the rookie QB gets acclimated to the NFL? I would like Chase Daniel or Drew Stanton. Plenty of experience and can win some games.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Those 2 guys combined have started 14 games in 14 combined seasons in the nfl... they bring absolutely nothing to the table.

logically, your premise is awful...
Step one- draft rookie to be the future.
Step two- bring in a steaming pile of shit to take his reps.

If you draft a QB high that you want to be the future, and you cannot prepare him for backup duty on the offseason, then you have already failed miserably.

Reactions: WCL

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
When you have a QB like Cutler, you shouldn't be looking for a career backup but rather someone who could challenge him for the starting role.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Let's see how Fales does is in the preseason.

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Considering all 32 teams have tom brady esque quarterbacks finding a backup should be easy
Trollface

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When you have a QB like Cutler, you shouldn't be looking for a career backup but rather someone who could challenge him for the starting role.

Then who is the FA QB that is better than Cutler? If you are going that route, then expect to pay 15 million and up. Also you stunt the rookie QB growth because the new guy would want a new commitment for 4 years at least. Also Aaron Rodgers sat 3 years before taking the starting job. Rookie Qb can learn by watching as well as snaps. Do you you want rookie Qb come in his first year to be a back up when he is not ready? It can be detrimental. He can become shell shocked. I would red shirt the rookie for a year.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then who is the FA QB that is better than Cutler? If you are going that route, then expect to pay 15 million and up. Also you stunt the rookie QB growth because the new guy would want a new commitment for 4 years at least. Also Aaron Rodgers sat 3 years before taking the starting job. Rookie Qb can learn by watching as well as snaps. Do you you want rookie Qb come in his first year to be a back up when he is not ready? It can be detrimental. He can become shell shocked. I would red shirt the rookie for a year.

Don't know what you're talking about. We've all seen many rookies start their first year and do extremely well. Aaron Rodgers sitting for 3 years has nothing to do with nothing. Pack got him cause Favre was nearing the end of his career and then started doing that I retire thing and then, Oops no, not really retiring.

Also different sitting behind a legend than it is sitting behind an average guy who's only seen the playoffs once in a 10 year career.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't know what you're talking about. We've all seen many rookies start their first year and do extremely well. Aaron Rodgers sitting for 3 years has nothing to do with nothing. Pack got him cause Favre was nearing the end of his career and then started doing that I retire thing and then, Oops no, not really retiring.

Also different sitting behind a legend than it is sitting behind an average guy who's only seen the playoffs once in a 10 year career.
I don't think the Bears are getting Goff who is the most ready rookie QB. All the others are not ready. Wentz and Lynch played weaker competition and are raw. After those QBs, n=the next ones need a lot of seasoning as they say.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:

Thanks in no part to a craptastic defense in Denver and the legends Devin Hester, Rashied Davis as his main WR targets for a couple seasons and the crappy version of Jamarcus "Spider" Webb, Chris "soft" Williams, and Gabe"I can't believe we drafted the only Wisc. badger who sucks" Carimi being the main interior help on the Bears for longer than necessary(See Giants game and 49ers game), but I digress.

He's still better than what you can get out there and he's only paid like a middle of the road QB from here on out. You have the benefit of having him and you don't have to look like a crappy developing team while Pace's contract extension waits to take the reigns from Cutler in a couple of seasons.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Bears are getting Goff who is the most ready rookie QB. All the others are not ready. Wentz and Lynch played weaker competition and are raw. After those QBs, n=the next ones need a lot of seasoning as they say.

31 teams thought Russell Wilson wasn't ready either. He was. Also haven't seen what vet QBs will be available yet. Osweiler more intriguing to a team who has gone nowhere with the QB they've been stuck with.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks in no part to a craptastic defense in Denver and the legends Devin Hester, Rashied Davis as his main WR targets for a couple seasons and the crappy version of Jamarcus "Spider" Webb, Chris "soft" Williams, and Gabe"I can't believe we drafted the only Wisc. badger who sucks" Carimi being the main interior help on the Bears for longer than necessary(See Giants game and 49ers game), but I digress.

He's still better than what you can get out there and he's only paid like a middle of the road QB from here on out. You have the benefit of having him and you don't have to look like a crappy developing team while Pace's contract extension waits to take the reigns from Cutler in a couple of seasons.

Bears have had elite receiving weapons for Cutler and he's also had a good D at times. Take these garbage excuses and dispose of them elsewhere.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Bears have had elite receiving weapons for Cutler and he's also had a good D at times. Take these garbage excuses and dispose of them elsewhere.

The one time it looked like we had playoff appearance #2 the elite D blew the game. Lol at you just wanting to toss out reality.

And I wouldn't call a couple of years with Olsen, sprinkled with crap on the side elite. Maybe only 2 years with Marshall did they have all their shit together.

mecha

Liked Posts:

I wouldn't say in 2015. but when Marshall and Jeffery and Bennett were all playing healthy, it's hard to argue. you had a premier dynamic back in Forte as well. call it scheme or whatever or Trestman cared more about recycling, 2013 was the year it should've happened. even the offensive line was good that year. they had virtually all the pieces to make an "elite" offense. people keep going on about McCown, their stats were almost split 50/50, only difference being Cutler threw more interceptions.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The one time it looked like we had playoff appearance #2 the elite D blew the game. Lol at you just wanting to toss out reality.

The one time the Bears got to the playoffs it was Cutler's epic horrendous play vs the Packers that first allowed them into the playoffs and then afford them the opportunity to again whip that QB they made their bitch in the playoffs. Jay is a prolific loser. History backs this statement up for me.

mecha

Liked Posts:
The one time the Bears got to the playoffs it was Cutler's epic horrendous play vs the Packers that first allowed them into the playoffs and then afford them the opportunity to again whip that QB they made their bitch in the playoffs. Jay is a prolific loser. History backs this statement up for me.

it's unforgivable that the Bears let them win that week 17 game.

I think the Packers scored like 10 points too didn't they?

it wound up biting them. sucks.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say in 2015. but when Marshall and Jeffery and Bennett were all playing healthy, it's hard to argue. you had a premier dynamic back in Forte as well. call it scheme or whatever or Trestman cared more about recycling, 2013 was the year it should've happened. even the offensive line was good that year. they had virtually all the pieces to make an "elite" offense. people keep going on about McCown, their stats were almost split 50/50, only difference being Cutler threw more interceptions.

Haha their stats were not even close. McCown's stats were far superior to Cutler's. Look it up and you'll realize you should never have made such a statement.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's unforgivable that the Bears let them win that week 17 game.

I think the Packers scored like 10 points too didn't they?

it wound up biting them. sucks.

I hated all the jackass posters that said the game didn't matter to the Bears. Of course it did.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Haha their stats were not even close. McCown's stats were far superior to Cutler's. Look it up and you'll realize you should never have made such a statement.

I'm here, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2013.htm

is this a good metric? if I recall with the Cutler hamstring injuries, he played 9 games to McCown's 7, full games, not when they split when he left hurt.

EDIT: I'm not 100% trying to argue with you here, I'm just saying when you factor the playing time of the two they were pretty even.