Best Bears Player NOT in the HOF

cosmodinardo

Liked Posts:

^^^article lists the best player in each team's history that is not currently in the HOF. For the Bears it lists Steve McMichael. I loved Mongo, but I don't consider him to be a HOF'er. I am amazed that it didn't list Jay Hilgenberg as the best Bear not currently in the HOF. I am amazed that he doesn't have more support, including amongst Bears fans. He was the anchor on what was the best OL in the NFL throughout the mid to late 80's. Jimbo (who also had to struggle to get into the HOF) was the best lineman, but Hilgenberg was the unquestioned leader of the group, and a 7-time Pro Bowler AND a 5-time ALL-Pro. That is DEFINITELY a HOF resume for a Center, in my opinion. Unbelievable that it seems like he is never going to get enough support to get elected to Canton.

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

^^^article lists the best player in each team's history that is not currently in the HOF. For the Bears it lists Steve McMichael. I loved Mongo, but I don't consider him to be a HOF'er. I am amazed that it didn't list Jay Hilgenberg as the best Bear not currently in the HOF. I am amazed that he doesn't have more support, including amongst Bears fans. He was the anchor on what was the best OL in the NFL throughout the mid to late 80's. Jimbo (who also had to struggle to get into the HOF) was the best lineman, but Hilgenberg was the unquestioned leader of the group, and a 7-time Pro Bowler AND a 5-time ALL-Pro. That is DEFINITELY a HOF resume for a Center, in my opinion. Unbelievable that it seems like he is never going to get enough support to get elected to Canton.
I was literally like 7 years old when those players were playing so idk wtf maybe I'll go watch some old tape!

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Brandon Marshall

cosmodinardo

Liked Posts:
I would be remiss if I did not add Wilber Marshall's name to the conversation. I honestly think he remains vastly underrated as a LB. He was one helluva football player and could do it all. He was a KEY contributor on two Super Bowl teams, with two different franchises....was obviously one of the key players on the greatest Defense in NFL History......and is one of only 5 NFL Players to have recorded 40 career sacks and 20 career INTs, which pretty effectively conveys his versatility as an NFL OLB. The others who accomplished that feat are Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Seth Joyner and recently, Karlos Dansby. He could do it all....rush the passer and knock the shit out of the QB or drop back into coverage, or track down a RB along the LOS. I think it is a shame that his name isn't even mentioned as a potential HOF'er. He is underrated.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I mean, maybe not be Bears player classification, but Peppers totally belongs. Tillman wrecked some of the best receivers in the game and forced a lot of fumbles. of all the players the Bears lost in the turnover years ago, losing him particularly sucked, especially considering he had like 2 season ending injuries in a row.

cosmodinardo

Liked Posts:
Covert and Briggs.

I would add Hester but he’s not eligible till next year and will probably get in over the next couple years.

I agree regarding Hester. I definitely think he gets in. He seems to already have a lot of support, even amongst the "special teamers don't generally belong in the HOF" crowd. I think they make a special exception for him, like they did for Ray Guy, and like they will for Vinatieri when he becomes eligible.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I agree regarding Hester. I definitely think he gets in. He seems to already have a lot of support, even amongst the "special teamers don't generally belong in the HOF" crowd. I think they make a special exception for him, like they did for Ray Guy, and like they will for Vinatieri when he becomes eligible.

I hope Hesters special exception happens much sooner than it did for Ray Guy.