BG to Miami a no go

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/1040571.html

Riley wants to add a veteran point guard to complement Mario Chalmers. Free agents Jason Kidd, Andre Miller, Mike Bibby and combo guard Ben Gordon (who came here on a recruiting visit last summer) are out of Miami's price range, barring trades. Allen Iverson is unappealing to the Heat. And free agents Stephon Marbury, Bobby Jackson, Brevin Knight and Juan Dixon are past their prime. As for possible trades, point guards with expiring contracts in 2009-10 include Portland's Steve Blake ($4.9 million), Orlando's Rafer Alston ($5.2 million), Oklahoma City's Earl Watson ($6.6 million), Washington's Mike James ($6.4 million) and Indiana's Marquis Daniels (if his $7.4 million option is picked up).

Didn't remember that he went to Miami last offseason on a recruiting trip. Ben however wouldnt fit well with Wade.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I think Gordon would fit perfectly with Wade. However, Miami only has the MLE, so they're only discounting him on the basis that he'd demand over the MLE (likely true).

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I think Gordon would fit perfectly with Wade. However, Miami only has the MLE, so they're only discounting him on the basis that he'd demand over the MLE (likely true).

I dont know unless you bring BG off the bench or start him at the 2 and make Wade the PG.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I dont know unless you bring BG off the bench or start him at the 2 and make Wade the PG.

Gordon/Wade would share point guard duties. The ball is in Wade's hands most of the time anyhow.

And basically it's what we've always known. Gordon to Miami won't happen, unless the Bulls lowball Gordon and he can't get a big deal from the Pistons or maybe Thunder.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Gordon/Wade would share point guard duties. The ball is in Wade's hands most of the time anyhow.

And basically it's what we've always known. Gordon to Miami won't happen, unless the Bulls lowball Gordon and he can't get a big deal from the Pistons or maybe Thunder.

I dont see the Thunder going after Ben since Westbrook is a two guard in the making and eventually will have to pay all their young guys (Durant, Green, Westbrook). As for the Pistons, no offense to Detroit but if i were a player I would never want to play in that city.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Eeeek. Gordon sharing PG duties? That would never happen since he can't play the point at all. And Wade is not a PG either. He can handle the ball but he is not a distributor by any means. Chalmers is perfect for their team because he is quick, shoots w/ range, and is a pass-first point, which is what you need when Wade is your backcourt mate. So I agree, no Miami for BG.

I think BG's best bet is to try and push for a sign and trade deal, which is extremely tough. I think that's probably the only way he could get the contract he is seeking. Detroit needs a low-post player, not a 2 guard, and OKC already has Westbrook, and they really like Thabo, so I'm not so sure about them as an option either.

I haven't put alot of thought into possible sign and trade scenarios because I'm praying to St. Christopher, St. Peter, St. Patrick, and every other Saint that Reinsdork comes to his senses and keeps BG in a Bulls uni.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
If Gordon is looking for the best situation for himself from a pure basketball point of view, I could see him signing with the Heat for one year at the MLE. But I don't think Gordon would do it unless Wade resigns with the team.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
JimmyBulls wrote:
If Gordon is looking for the best situation for himself from a pure basketball point of view, I could see him signing with the Heat for one year at the MLE. But I don't think Gordon would do it unless Wade resigns with the team.

I think Ben is done with one year deals. He is not getting younger and wants some security.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
If the money is not there, then he must go where his game fits best. At this point, i'm pretty sure Gordon understands he's a one long term contract player. So playing on another one year deal wouldn't hurt too much if he signs somewhere that will have the space to sign him long term.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
JimmyBulls wrote:
If the money is not there, then he must go where his game fits best. At this point, i'm pretty sure Gordon understands he's a one long term contract player. So playing on another one year deal wouldn't hurt too much if he signs somewhere that will have the space to sign him long term.

If he cant get a long term deal he may be the best player to never get one lol, he really needs to fire Raymond Brothers and ask Scott Boras if he wants to work with NBA players.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Eeeek. Gordon sharing PG duties? That would never happen since he can't play the point at all. And Wade is not a PG either. He can handle the ball but he is not a distributor by any means. Chalmers is perfect for their team because he is quick, shoots w/ range, and is a pass-first point, which is what you need when Wade is your backcourt mate. So I agree, no Miami for BG.

I think people really overstate the need of a "distributor" on a lot of teams. Dwyane Wade is a Michael Jordan like SG. Were John Paxson or Ron Harper "distributors"? Gordon would provide tremendous spacing for Wade and has enough ball handling to do just fine in a PG role on Miami.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If BG doesn't go to Miami, Detroit, or OKC, where does he go? Logically it would make sense that he stays here since we need him and we can offer him more money than everyone else...although Reinsdorf needs to be smart and be willing to pay him the money. We all know that Gordon never was and never will be a PG in the NBA. He simply can't do it. So if Miami wants to sign Ben as a PG, they're crazy (however I must note that signing Ben purely as a SG and making Wade the "PG" is completely logical). Plus there's that whole Ben wants more than the MLE thing so that would probably keep him out of Miami as well.

But who knows, I could be completely wrong.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
Out of the teams with capspace where do you think he wants to go? I don't see him signing with the Thunder, the Grizzles probably will opt for a bigger backcourt with Mayo playing on the ball, and the Pistons will most likely look to sign a big. It's possible that the money will just not be there for him. And it's also possible that Gordon wouldn't want to play for any of the teams with capspace.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I think people really overstate the need of a "distributor" on a lot of teams. Dwyane Wade is a Michael Jordan like SG. Were John Paxson or Ron Harper "distributors"? Gordon would provide tremendous spacing for Wade and has enough ball handling to do just fine in a PG role on Miami.

I just don't see how you could even say BG would "do just fine in a PG role in Miami." He's never been a point guard, ever, in his entire career. The PG runs your offense, he doesn't just bring the ball up and pass it to the open guy. Yeah BG could spread the floor, but given alot of the poor decisions BG makes with the ball, I would not want him bringing it up the floor, unless it was a wide open fast break. I love BG but he's an amazing spot-up shooter and not much more.

And yes Pax and Ron Harper distributed the ball, but that's kinda skewed because Pip was really the Point Forward and he had the ball in his hands most of the time when it crossed midcourt.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I just don't see how you could even say BG would "do just fine in a PG role in Miami." He's never been a point guard, ever, in his entire career. The PG runs your offense, he doesn't just bring the ball up and pass it to the open guy. Yeah BG could spread the floor, but given alot of the poor decisions BG makes with the ball, I would not want him bringing it up the floor, unless it was a wide open fast break. I love BG but he's an amazing spot-up shooter and not much more.

And yes Pax and Ron Harper distributed the ball, but that's kinda skewed because Pip was really the Point Forward and he had the ball in his hands most of the time when it crossed midcourt.

I kinda agree with Doug on this one. I think that too many people get caught up in the prototypical lineup a 1,2,3,4 and a 5. As long as you can get the ball up the court under pressure, which Wade can do if a team presses than you don't have to worry. If you have a good offense, like Chicago did with Jordan and them then you don't have to have a great distributor to "run" your offense. The offense should run no matter what.
However Wade is shorter than Jordan was and I don't think that Gordon would go for the MLE so they won't commit long term with Gordon because they need a big man. Jermaine Oneal obviously can't stay healthy. If they sign Gordon and end up struggling next year they will lose Wade in the 2010 offseason.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Hey, if they had BG, they'd be playing the cavs instead of sitting at home.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
JimmyBulls wrote:
Out of the teams with capspace where do you think he wants to go? I don't see him signing with the Thunder, the Grizzles probably will opt for a bigger backcourt with Mayo playing on the ball, and the Pistons will most likely look to sign a big. It's possible that the money will just not be there for him. And it's also possible that Gordon wouldn't want to play for any of the teams with capspace.

Money will come first. I would be shocked if it went down any other way. If he can sign somewhere for the MLE it sure won't be here, and then he'll pick teams who really need him and have championship aspirations.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are no offers for him above the MLE from teams under the cap, but if the Thunder or Grizzlies offer him money and no one else does then I think he'll take it.

I think the Bulls can easily retain Gordon if they choose to. I just don't think they'll offer him anything.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
I agree that he all he gets is several MLE offers then he takes that offer from someone other than us. I hate it but I know that is how it will go down. I also think that unless Paxson finds a deal for Hinrich he likes and one that saves us capspace then we never really even get into much negotiation on a contract with Gordon. Grizzlies I don't think make an offer, I think the Thunder will but won't offer a huge deal, probably slightly over MLE. The Pistons are the wildcard. I honestly think and my gut tells me this is where he goes. I think he signs there fairly early in the process and the Pistons use Rip to get a PF or a C and then use capspace on another bigman. I could see them getting Gordon, Chandler and Boozer(via Rip trade).

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

I think you're really going by too text-book a definition of what a PG does and not thinking enough about how different teams run with different personnel. Gordon can bring the ball up the floor fine, and the ball is going to be in Wade's hands as the primary decision maker in all important possessions and in most non important ones.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Gordon and Wade could work but there are better fits for him. We talk all the time about whether to keep Hinrich or Gordon when Hinrich is the perfect guard to play alongside Gordon. I would want a guard like Hinrich alongside Gordon with a playmaking SF.

Deron Williams and Gordon
Billups and Gordon
Andre Miller and Gordon
Stuckey and Gordon

These are examples of guards that probably would be better fits with Gordon. I ultimately think as I said earlier that Gordon goes to Detroit with Stuckey.