Bill Walton: Don't Trade Noah For Anthony

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, I do hold a grudge for all of the weeks of arguing with Lefty and FT constantly questioning my intelligence and being flat out wrong on top of it. And now I shall bask in their wrongheadedness. Sue me.

You bumped this too soon.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You bumped this too soon.

Because Carmelo Anthony was going to be the guy to eventually help the Bulls get to a championship. Even though... oh wait... Wade... James... both way better players than he and Derrick Rose.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess Bill Walton is a "Special person" too. He should post on CCS, too.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because Carmelo Anthony was going to be the guy to eventually help the Bulls get to a championship. Even though... oh wait... Wade... James... both way better players than he and Derrick Rose.

LOL.

Yeah we should have eaten crow in March just before the Bulls pissed down their leg against Miami.

Also, to be fair, Lefty does live in his parents basement.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL.

Yeah we should have eaten crow in March just before the Bulls pissed down their leg against Miami.

Also, to be fair, Lefty does live in his parents basement.

The Bulls held their own against Miami. If Noah and Boozer were healthy then it could have been up-for-grabs. You seem to like to conveniently ignore that the Bulls' "big 3" would have been pretty horrible compared against Miami's head-to-head. And you also happened to say that it would be no big deal if the Bulls lost Noah simply because the NBA doesn't have many good centers anyway. What kind of piss-poor logic is that? When was the last time, in this era of terrible centers, that a team won a championship without a quality center/big man?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Noah and Boozer were healthy then it could have been up-for-grabs.
If if if if if ...could could could could could.

You seem to like to conveniently ignore that the Bulls' "big 3" would have been pretty horrible compared against Miami's head-to-head.
No. Me wanting to trade for Carmelo is a direct indictor of me knowing that.

And you also happened to say that it would be no big deal if the Bulls lost Noah simply because the NBA doesn't have many good centers anyway.
:obama:

In the context of adding CARMELO ANTHONY it would not have been since the NBA is wing centric and the things that Noah does (very) well are easier to replace(via one or more players) in relative terms to what Carmelo does/brings to the table.

Way to completely fuck up the context of the discussion.

When was the last time, in this era of terrible centers, that a team won a championship without a quality center/big man?

I would consider Boozer a "quality" big(an overpaid one at that and one I'm not crazy about but...) so your question doesn't mean jack shit because there really aren't that man good true centers in today's game anyways.

Last edited:

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If if if if if ...could could could could could.

I prefer thinking about it as "can can can."

No. Me wanting to trade for Carmelo is a direct indictor of me wanting that.

What you want is for the Bulls to gain a vital, expensive individual player who scores exceptionally well and doesn't play very good defense. All Anthony does is give you everything James and Wade gives you on offense... except for that whole overrated concept of setting up teammates.

In the context of adding CARMELO ANTHONY it would not have been since the NBA is wing centric and the things that Noah does (very) well are easier to replace(via one or more players) in relative terms to what Carmelo does/brings to the table.

It seems as though you undervalue players who bring more than one dimension to the table. Noah gives you a great defensive center, and a top 5 rebounder. And he gives you well better than average offense when healthy with much room to grow. The league has a LOT of wings that do what Anthony does to a lesser degree, who ALSO play much better defense and/or aren't selfish players... who are a hell of a lot cheaper. Centers like Noah are much harder to come by than a great wing scorer. There are a lot of those in the league.

I would consider Boozer a "quality" big(an overpaid one at that and one I'm not crazy about but...) so your question doesn't mean jack shit because there really aren't that man good true centers in today's game anyways.

Duncan: played two ends
Shaq: played two ends
Rasheed Wallace: played two ends and had Wallace/McDyess
Garnett: played two ends
Gasol: played two ends
Nowitzki: had Tyson Chandler who is also arguably a top 5 center
Boozer: plays one end and has Noah... unless of course they pissed him away in a dumb trade.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What you want is for the Bulls to gain a vital, expensive individual player who scores exceptionally well and doesn't play very good defense. All Anthony does is give you everything James and Wade gives you on offense... except for that whole overrated concept of setting up teammates.
Well that sucks. Too bad we don't have a PG to do.............Oh wait.

It seems as though you undervalue players who bring more than one dimension to the table.
Wrong.

with much room to grow.
No he doesn't.

The league has a LOT of wings that do what Anthony does to a lesser degree,

Centers like Noah are much harder to come by than a great wing scorer.
I can cobble together what Noah brings much more easily than what Melo does. I can't cobble together a player like Melo and what he does matchup wise and brings to the table skills wise.

There are a lot of those in the league.
No there are not.

You know what else those centers had? Elite wings. Sometimes two of them!

LOL at you overvaluing Tyson fucking Chandler. The mere fact that you bring up Tyson Chandler when discusssing top Centers in the NBA shows how ridiculously weak the position is.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Rami= Worst player evaluator in history of the internet.

It's between you and the guy that thought Vick could become as accurate as Peyton Manning

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well that sucks. Too bad we don't have a PG to do.............Oh wait.

When was the last time a team won a championship with one able and/or willing passer?

No he doesn't.

Strong arguments. I'm sold.

I can cobble together what Noah brings much more easily than what Melo does. I can't cobble together a player like Melo and what he does matchup wise and brings to the table skills wise.

The Miami Heat defense can easily hold Anthony to a terrible percentage once he gets the ball. This isn't a case of MJ-Pip or James-Wade where both players can give up the ball. Anthony gets the ball and the shot is going up for better or worse. And against a great defense... it is not going to be enough to win a series. Not the mention how much defense you lose when you trade your two best defensive players for a crappy one.

You know what else those centers had? Elite wings. Sometimes two of them!

And what did all of those wings do that Anthony didn't- play team defense and pass the ball. PS- Ginobili and Parker are hardly elite players. Neither was Billups and Hamilton.

LOL at you overvaluing Tyson fucking Chandler. The mere fact that you bring up Tyson Chandler when discusssing top Centers in the NBA shows how ridiculously weak the position is.

Chandler is one of the best centers in the league and that is undeniable. He is a prototypical defensive/rebounding center much like Noah. And guess what his team did- win a championship.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I see you left out that little part about the Bulls gaining a good wing scorer who does the 2 things Melo doesn't

-play good team defense
-distribute the ball

And for a hell of a lot cheaper.

How about draft or sign a player like that and KEEP Deng and Noah?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When was the last time a team won a championship with one able and/or willing passer?
Billups, Kidd,Barrea, Parker, Srsly?

Quite a few NBA champions have recently won with a pass willing PG.

Oh yeah, and Rondo

The Miami Heat defense can easily hold Anthony to a terrible percentage once he gets the ball. This isn't a case of MJ-Pip or James-Wade where both players can give up the ball. Anthony gets the ball and the shot is going up for better or worse
He's a career 46% shooter and a top 5-10 player in the NBA. Quit using hyperbole. Melo takes shots, yes...but that's been what the Nuggets have been wanting him to do. He's not doing it at the expense of his team, he's doing it because it's what the team wants him to do.

And against a great defense... it is not going to be enough to win a series. Not the mention how much defense you lose when you trade your two best defensive players for a crappy one.

Because unless the NBA implements a new rule the Bulls would be allowed to bring in more players after the trade to help out?

You're still on this simple minded bullshit.

Still.

And what did all of those wings do that Anthony didn't- play team defense and pass the ball. PS- Ginobili and Parker are hardly elite players. Neither was Billups and Hamilton.

Melo has never been asked to pass the ball. he's been told to score..and score some more. Why do you think Denver has always been trying to bring in PG's?

LOL at your definition of "elite players".

You're a fucking Special person.

Chandler is one of the best centers in the league and that is undeniable.
THAT'S NOT THE POINT! Jesus Christ you are a fucking moron.

He is a prototypical defensive/rebounding center much like Noah. And guess what his team did- win a championship.
Wow. Talk about taking a leap there.

How long until the Bulls acquire Dirk?

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can't wait to see Rami's next Special person response.

Hopefully he straps up his helmet so he doesn't injure himself falling into his keyboard.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Billups, Kidd,Barrea, Parker, Srsly?

Quite a few NBA champions have recently won with a pass willing PG.

Oh yeah, and Rondo

Missed my point. All of those teams had more than one willing passer

Kidd and Terry. Billups and Hamilton. Parker and Ginobili. Rondo and Pierce. And all of those players had integral role in terms of scoring too. If the Bulls had Anthony then they would have Rose and Anthony as the two major scorers with the ball only going one way, which allows defenses to close up and better predict what you are trying and able to do as an offense.

He's a career 46% shooter and a top 5-10 player in the NBA. Quit using hyperbole. Melo takes shots, yes...but that's been what the Nuggets have been wanting him to do. He's not doing it at the expense of his team, he's doing it because it's what the team wants him to do.

Rose shoots about the same percentage during the regular season as Anthony. Yet it was below 40% versus Miami's elite team defense.

What exactly have the Nuggets done besides lose often and fall short of expectations? I thought this conversation was about seeking to become a championship winning team.

Because unless the NBA implements a new rule the Bulls would be allowed to bring in more players after the trade to help out?

It's called trades/draft/signing a player for the minimum

Melo has never been asked to pass the ball. he's been told to score..and score some more. Why do you think Denver has always been trying to bring in PG's?

Why do you think Denver doesn't have a championship and the Heat and Lakers do? Why do you think that even LeBron's playoff resume makes Anthony's look sad? Denver has had PGs and decent players surrounding Anthony. Anthony is just a pure scorer and good rebounder. That hardly sounds elite to me.

LOL at your definition of "elite players".

You're a fucking Special person.

I'm a Special person because I don't think Billups and Rip and Manu and TP were elite players. Right.

THAT'S NOT THE POINT! Jesus Christ you are a fucking moron.

Yes, that is an additional point. Thanks for noticing.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Missed my point. All of those teams had more than one willing passer
Can the Bulls not go out and find another willing passer after getting Melo?

Are they then not allowed to make other moves?

Are you this simple minded for any particular reason?

Rose shoots about the same percentage during the regular season as Anthony. Yet it was below 40% versus Miami's elite team defense.
1. They are completely different style players and different jobs

2. Miami was a matchup nightmare for Rose because they could rotate Lebron onto him and the size matchup was too much of an issue for wee Rose to deal with and Miami was too much for him once he got to the lane. Again, partly because of his size.

3. Comparing Rose having issue to Melo possibly having problems when they are different types of players with different body types etc is absurdly stupid.

Think the lane would have been more open and Rose would have ahd some more room with Melo on the wing?

Gee..

What exactly have the Nuggets done besides lose often
The Nuggets have won 50 games in the Western Conference each of the last 4 seasons.

They haven't had a losing season since Carmelo was a freshman at Syracuse.

Hell Melo hasn't been on a losing team since............when exactly? Grade school?

Fail.

OMG they've lost in the WC playoffs.

Wow. That sucks.

Shit happens.

Kevin Garnett didn't do squat in the playoffs until he got to Boston. Were you hating on him too? Should the Celtics have not made that trade since Garnett only ever lost in the playoffs and fell short?

Was Carmelo playing alongside Derrick Rose and Carlos Boozer in Denver? Was Thibs the coach? Why does Denver's team shortcomings influence Melo here if it's a different team with better players and better coaching?

It's called trades/draft/signing a player for the minimum
You're a fucking moron.

Way to not catch on.

Why do you think Denver doesn't have a championship and the Heat and Lakers do?
Because the Lakers and Heat have been better teams with better players top to bottom.

Plus Lebron played in teh weak sauce EC until Boston got Garnett and Allen. the EC was awful for quite a few years compared to the West. The Pistons beat a self destructing Lakers team but other than that the WC has been better pretty much since Jordan hung them up.

Even the Heats championship was odd and flukey.

That hardly sounds elite to me.
Basketball Special person alert.

I'm a Special person because I don't think Billups and Rip and Manu and TP were elite players. Right.
Mostly correct.

Yes, that is an additional point. Thanks for noticing.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Carmelo Anthony. Not passing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Auw2pOsAc]Carmelo Anthony SICK Pass Against Blazers - YouTube[/ame]