Blackhawks 2022-23 SEASON THREAD

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah well having Big Johnson gains us some “scoring” and “confidence” by “pushing” good talent into the “bottom” 6 or 9 if taken upward while he slips down for balance.

They have just enough if their top 10-12 guys are all healthy to play a hard uncomfortable game with most teams(9 fwds, 4 D, 1 G).

The other 5-7 spots are replacement level players and don’t need to drive the team.

Big Johnson is a driver. He gunks up hard places in front of the G and is responsible. Two big things our D and team really needs.
I wouldn't call him a driver, per se. Seabs in his prime was a driver.

That's not to say Johnson is bad, but realistically, where would he slot in any of the cup-winning defenses? That should be the litmus test for any player playing for us right now. If a guy can't break into the top four on one of our cup-winning teams on the backend, how much of a keeper is he? In my opinion, the only guy who would do so is Seth Jones. No one else would. No one else would displace Hjammer, Oduya, or Campbell as they were back then, much less Keith or Seabrook.

While that's not to negate guys like Johnson making us a little harder to play against than Bowman's "Ice Follies", realistically, guys like Johnson would either round out the bottom pair or be traded for guys who would. But, in the here-and-now they do serve a purpose.

That being said, let's look at the 'hawks as-is realistically:
Over the 1st 10 games the 'hawks were 4-4-2, with 3.20 GF/GP (14), 25.7 SF/GP (31), 3.30 GA/GP (20), and 34.2 SA/GP (25)
Over the next 11 games they were 2-7-2, with 1.82 GF/GP (32), 26.8 SF/GP (30), 3.91 GA/GP (28), and 35.2 SA/GP (29)

We're giving up more shots, our goalies aren't saving them, and even though we're shooting more we're scoring a lot less. The biggest one is the O petering off majorly, but even in the 1st 10 games the team wasn't that good. I don't foresee it turning around or the team wanting to press that hard and shorten the bench? There's no reason to. We were .500 early, and that's not nearly being making a run good.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Well it looks like Korchinski is going to get 100 assists this year in the W. He really don’t belong there offensively, he’s just on another level.

Reichel is cooling off but still a force in glockford. With the way his game has polished when he comes up he’s not going to be sent down.

Not even watching the Hawks. This team isn’t worth the time right now.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beats me. I'm at work listening to Wideman and Murray.
Rawr!

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’d rather see my 13 yr old and 10 yr old out here playing defence than watch some of these professionals play defence.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Eddie on the call tonight for TNT?
I fell asleep after the 2nd period, but Eddie was good tonight. Invited Troy to the TNT booth during live action, which was cool. I was surprised to see the Hawks made a game of it in the 3rd, they were getting outshot at one point during the second something like 20 to 8. Edmonton hit 2 posts on one shift and had a goal disallowed to boot. Johnson had a good game from what I saw, but missed a wide -open Toews on the door step for a tap-in; it's like every player on this team is programmed to always make the wrong decision on when to shoot or when to pass. Soderblom was solid though through 2.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I fell asleep after the 2nd period, but Eddie was good tonight. Invited Troy to the TNT booth during live action, which was cool. I was surprised to see the Hawks made a game of it in the 3rd, they were getting outshot at one point during the second something like 20 to 8. Edmonton hit 2 posts on one shift and had a goal disallowed to boot. Johnson had a good game from what I saw, but missed a wide -open Toews on the door step for a tap-in; it's like every player on this team is programmed to always make the wrong decision on when to shoot or when to pass. Soderblom was solid though through 2.
I missed the 1st half of the game, but what I did gather is similar to you did: Soderblom didn't look like he gave up even with how many time the team (especially Seth Jones) left him out to dry.

Realistically, the team just isn't good; I'm not expecting much different than what we saw over the rest of the season. Any team with a decent defense will smother what little O we have, and as we have seen Soder Popinski, while very good this early in his career, can't carry what we call a defense (to be fair, a 4x6 cinderblock wall would have trouble carrying this defense).

Someone on another board said Stalock needs to get batter soon so Soder can go back to the A so she doesn't forget what winning is like. I have to agree with that. I know the team was built to tank this season, but it almost feels like it would be a punishment for any potential up-and-comers (like Soder, or Reichel, etc.) to get up to the NHL and play with the squad we got Might as well keep them in their respective leagues and reset next season, especially if we nail a NHL-ready talent in the draft this summer.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That surprising start is beginning to feel like ancient history.....only one team left to drop behind. Still amazed that Kane and Toews are playing the good soldiers, I mean careers are short. Why would you waste one precious season with this pathetic group?

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Well, there’s good news;

The Hawks right now are sitting at pick two in the draft. Now, I’m all for shitting the rest of the season away.

My biggest fear was being semi good and dropping to the seventh pick, which is still good but Fantilli is going to be a stud and a half. IF, and it’s a huge if, they luck out and draft Fantilli, I’d be more then happy resigning Toews and Kane if they don’t get traded. Fantilli will pot 30 his rookie year. Quote me. But don’t get it twisted, it’s still Bedard or bust. They really need another top ten pick this year.

One thing I’ve noticed is in all the mock drafts there all over the place. If Cam Allen is there with the Bolts pick, KD drafts him and laughs all the way to the podium. The consensus is there will be a run on forwards. Here’s hoping the lightning shit it up. Cam Allen is a knock off Drew Doughty and would set up the Hawks defense for years with Korchinski and Seth.

Granada

Liked Posts:
That surprising start is beginning to feel like ancient history.....only one team left to drop behind. Still amazed that Kane and Toews are playing the good soldiers, I mean careers are short. Why would you waste one precious season with this pathetic group?

I get your point but I will say, it isn't easy to uproot your family from a city you've lived in for the past 15+ years. They've built connections here, not only team connections (not just players, but trainers, etc.), but friends, family (Kane has a child here), etc.
Well, there’s good news;

The Hawks right now are sitting at pick two in the draft. Now, I’m all for shitting the rest of the season away.

My biggest fear was being semi good and dropping to the seventh pick, which is still good but Fantilli is going to be a stud and a half. IF, and it’s a huge if, they luck out and draft Fantilli, I’d be more then happy resigning Toews and Kane if they don’t get traded. Fantilli will pot 30 his rookie year. Quote me. But don’t get it twisted, it’s still Bedard or bust. They really need another top ten pick this year.

One thing I’ve noticed is in all the mock drafts there all over the place. If Cam Allen is there with the Bolts pick, KD drafts him and laughs all the way to the podium. The consensus is there will be a run on forwards. Here’s hoping the lightning shit it up. Cam Allen is a knock off Drew Doughty and would set up the Hawks defense for years with Korchinski and Seth.

Sorry but under no circumstances should Toews and Kane be re-signed. I love them both; I've defended them, including Toews (I think against you at one point but maybe I'm wrong) for years, more than I can remember, but their time is done here. I hate saying it, but it's true. It makes me sick thinking about either one of them in another uniform, but there is just no other logical reason why they should be re-signed going forward.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

NHL REPORTER PROVIDES AN UPDATE ON TOEWS AND KANE'S TRADE SITUATION​

BY KEVIN GARCIA

With the Blackhawks falling to 6-12-4 this season, it is now almost guaranteed that the Hawks are going to move their long-time stars.

Kane's reputation will always have him being valued highly, but it is Toews who has done a lot to increase his value this season.

Toews has constantly found the back of the net by playing gritty hockey near the crease. Him and Kane should both be valued highly near the deadline, but where do they stand currently?

Well, thanks to NHL Trade Rumors, we got an update on the two from Elliote Friedman:

«Right now, there's more talk from people who can't make it happen than from people who can.» Expect this to gain traction in the new year, with more clarity on what (or where) both players prefer. On some level, I think Kane in particular would like to take a run at some of Stan Mikita's franchise records (games played, assists and points). Therefore, there were rumours he might prefer to play out the season in Chicago and decide his future in free agency, but several sources threw cold water on that idea. As you can imagine, there's been no extension talk in either case."

The most important thing about this situation is that both Kane and Toews have no trade clauses in their contract, meaning that they can turn down any trade and only go where they want to be.

I can't see either player wanting to stick it out this season with the rebuild, but then again, they do have career-long ties to Chicago.

If they get traded, it will surely be for a team that has a chance at making a run at the Stanley Cup. They are not going to allow a trade to a borderline playoff team.

Plus, it is important to remember that both players can choose to return to free agency next offseason if they wish. So realistically, they can both spend less than half a season with whatever team acquires them.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
No reason why both 88 and 19 shouldn’t go chase a Cup for a few months, but it wouldn’t surprise me if both were resigned in the offseason. Obviously their cap hits wouldn’t be 10.5 million again probably more around 7 million for Kane and 4 million for Toews would be my guess. The Hawks will be able to offer each the most money considering how much cap they have to work with.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No reason why both 88 and 19 shouldn’t go chase a Cup for a few months, but it wouldn’t surprise me if both were resigned in the offseason. Obviously their cap hits wouldn’t be 10.5 million again probably more around 7 million for Kane and 4 million for Toews would be my guess. The Hawks will be able to offer each the most money considering how much cap they have to work with.
Why would they? Did Kenny Williams just walk in the room? If you're gonna rebuild....then do it....I don't want to see any of this half ass crap of bringing back star players of yesteryear. Not even these two.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a good day to start another losing streak.

Go Islanders!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I tried to watch the pregame and Colby and what's your tits talking with Pat boil about whether it was a clean head or not just was agonizing and I couldn't

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Why would they? Did Kenny Williams just walk in the room? If you're gonna rebuild....then do it....I don't want to see any of this half ass crap of bringing back star players of yesteryear. Not even these two.

They will still need to be above the cap floor. It’s unlikely any good FA will choose to sign in Chicago when the Hawks will need to spend cash with so much money coming off the books. I could see Kane returning to chase franchise records but Toews is likely to move on.