Bob McGinn's yearly QB article (interviews anonymous scouts)

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
If I were Pace I’d take Jones if he could be had for a reasonable trade. Otherwise, take linemen and other positions of need and next year trade for a proven vet (assuming AD doesn’t work out)

oh and by the way, everyone in Texas, like me, who watches big 12 football, knew that Mahomes was going to be good. Admittedly, not this good, but really good.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Buchele is tough as nails and has a winners feel to him. Reminds me of Colt. He will be a good backup in this league. Good value pick.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Draft Buchele late and see if he can develop.

Like the idea, but there's stuff you can't teach. Arm strength. Athleticism. Buchele seems to be average in both of those. Gotta be prospects with a higher ceiling. Of course, vision and accuracy are top dogs, and those aren't overly teachable either. Glad I'm not an NFL scout, this stuff is hard.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
What this shows is how much some of you overvalue these QBs.

Davis Mills, Kellen Mond or Trask could be first rounders? This board is super desperate, none of those guys will unseat Dalton and they all belong in the 2nd to 3rd round at best.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
What this shows is how much some of you overvalue these QBs.

Davis Mills, Kellen Mond or Trask could be first rounders? This board is super desperate, none of those guys will unseat Dalton and they all belong in the 2nd to 3rd round at best.

It's about taking a shot on a QB that has a chance at being a legit franchise QB in the NFL which NOBODY knows which ones will or won't. NOBODY thought T.Brady was gonna be what he is and that goes for R.Wilson, D.Prescott and the list goes on of great QB's that weren't taken in the top of the 1st round because teams didn't believe in them becoming great in the NFL but did think they were worth taking a shot on to bring them in and hope you hit the jackpot without having to use your 1st round pick, or 2nd, or 3rd or 4th and so on in some cases.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If I were Pace I’d take Jones if he could be had for a reasonable trade. Otherwise, take linemen and other positions of need and next year trade for a proven vet (assuming AD doesn’t work out)

oh and by the way, everyone in Texas, like me, who watches big 12 football, knew that Mahomes was going to be good. Admittedly, not this good, but really good.
Arm strength can be developed. And if you’ve watched any of his tape, you'd see he has enough athleticism to make the needed plays. Plus a little bit of the Mahomes type creativity in his play. He has the things you need to be a successful NFL QB.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Arm strength can be developed. And if you’ve watched any of his tape, you'd see he has enough athleticism to make the needed plays. Plus a little bit of the Mahomes type creativity in his play. He has the things you need to be a successful NFL QB.
The era of arm strength ever being in doubt seems to be over. Even bad quarterbacks like Mitchell Trubisky have the raw arm to make all the throws. Back-ups even have all the arm, they just cannot keep up with the pace of the game or lack accuracy.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Exactly on Mahomes... As someone that follows TCU football I knew Mahomes was going to be real good too. He was a gamer at Tech playing with a bunch of bums.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats

True dat. The hope is that one of these three can play well enough to unseat Dalton or his veteran replacement in 2-3 years.

QBs tend to get drafted too high, because of the importance of the position. Of 32 NFL teams, I'd guess that on average, 20 are looking for an upgrade at QB. I think TB, GB, Seattle are set with vets, Chargers and Bengals have solid rookies, and there's probably another 7 teams that are fairly content. Everyone else wants to get better, and there's not another 20 top tier QBs out there to get.

Also recall that despite having Trevor Lawrence and a good Clemson team around him, Clemson lost to Ohio State. Ohio state, with Fields and a good team around him, lost to Bama, who had a great team around McCorkle Jones. So just how much weight does the QB position carry. More than an OG? Sure. More than the whole OL? Not sure, maybe. More than the entire defense? Nope. Otherwise Rodgers and the Packers would have as many titles as the Patriots and Brady do.

Of course, one can fudge these concepts around. Bottom line, QB is very important, but no QB can win at all without a good team around him. Seriously, put Brady in his prime on a high school team, or Rodgers, Mahomes, Montana, Marino, Graham or Luckman, whoever. That team doesn't win a game in an NFL season.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Arm strength can be developed.

Sure, a little. No NFL training program could train me to throw like Mahomes. Maybe Buchele, or Jones, could get their arms a little stronger, work on their technique some, but they would never catch up to Mahomes or Wilson.

That said, Brady and Montana don't have the strongest arms. Montana in particular, his long passes were all rainbows. He was fortunate to have Rice, who could get open enough so that even knowing where the ball is going for a long time, no DB could beat him to the spot. But he was accurate, and made great decisions almost all the time.

This is why evaluating QBs is hard. Brady was a 6th rounder. Montana and Favre 2nds. Wilson 3rd. Wilson and Brees were too short to succeed. JaMarcus Russell was a sure thing. Goff and Wentz have each gone to a Super Bowl (Goff lost, Wentz was on the bench), and both are now on their second teams. Chargers gave up on Brees and went with Rivers. Both good QBs, but Brees has more playoff appearances and SB wins (1-0 there).

So scouts lump the rest into 'intangibles', meaning, things I can't quantify, but I like this guy. Tape tells you something. Character tells you something. But in the end, it's a big crapshoot.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

SF traded a lot away in order to move up to #3 to take Jones. Who would Pace make a reasonable trade with ?

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Trade for Minshew ....Two 2021 6th round picks....immediately after the Jags Pick Lawrence at #1. (Move Foles, Miller & Wims) If Davis Mills or Mond fall to Round #2 or #3 then maybe grab then as a project. It makes no sense to move up to the top 10 of this Draft searching for a QB...

OT.....WR......and CB.......Best Available Talent.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trade for Minshew ....Two 2021 6th round picks....immediately after the Jags Pick Lawrence at #1. (Move Foles, Miller & Wims) If Davis Mills or Mond fall to Round #2 or #3 then maybe grab then as a project. It makes no sense to move up to the top 10 of this Draft searching for a QB...

OT.....WR......and CB.......Best Available Talent.

Why does everyone just assume the Jags are going to give Minshew away?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
In a tight three-way battle, North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky led the way with 61 points (four firsts) followed by Clemson's Deshaun Watson (58, six) and Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes (56, five).

Kizer was fourth with 32 points and one first, followed by California's Davis Webb (23), Pittsburgh's Nathan Peterman (five), Iowa's C.J. Beathard (two), Virginia Tech's Jerod Evans (two) and Miami's Brad Kaaya (one).

“I really don’t like any of them,” one longtime executive said. “Maybe two will go in the first round because of need but they all have holes. It’s, like, ‘Let’s see if we can develop them and get something out of them.’ It’s one of the worst groups I’ve watched in a long time.”

NFL is almost as clueless as everybody else when it comes to quarterbacks. Just based on history I'd say 3 of the top 5 will bust and one of the late round guys will be better than anyone thinks.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I know people will laugh at this but hand size is very important. I’m not a fan of Fields or Lance. This isn’t the year I am afraid for the Bears. Best thing they can do is trade down or stand at 20. Trading next years 1st is a disaster as it’s going to be a top 10 pick most likely.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Sure, a little. No NFL training program could train me to throw like Mahomes. Maybe Buchele, or Jones, could get their arms a little stronger, work on their technique some, but they would never catch up to Mahomes or Wilson.

That said, Brady and Montana don't have the strongest arms. Montana in particular, his long passes were all rainbows. He was fortunate to have Rice, who could get open enough so that even knowing where the ball is going for a long time, no DB could beat him to the spot. But he was accurate, and made great decisions almost all the time.

This is why evaluating QBs is hard. Brady was a 6th rounder. Montana and Favre 2nds. Wilson 3rd. Wilson and Brees were too short to succeed. JaMarcus Russell was a sure thing. Goff and Wentz have each gone to a Super Bowl (Goff lost, Wentz was on the bench), and both are now on their second teams. Chargers gave up on Brees and went with Rivers. Both good QBs, but Brees has more playoff appearances and SB wins (1-0 there).

So scouts lump the rest into 'intangibles', meaning, things I can't quantify, but I like this guy. Tape tells you something. Character tells you something. But in the end, it's a big crapshoot.
The GOAT Joe Montana was a 3rd rd draft pick, 82nd overall

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
In a tight three-way battle, North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky led the way with 61 points (four firsts) followed by Clemson's Deshaun Watson (58, six) and Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes (56, five).

Kizer was fourth with 32 points and one first, followed by California's Davis Webb (23), Pittsburgh's Nathan Peterman (five), Iowa's C.J. Beathard (two), Virginia Tech's Jerod Evans (two) and Miami's Brad Kaaya (one).

“I really don’t like any of them,” one longtime executive said. “Maybe two will go in the first round because of need but they all have holes. It’s, like, ‘Let’s see if we can develop them and get something out of them.’ It’s one of the worst groups I’ve watched in a long time.”

NFL is almost as clueless as everybody else when it comes to quarterbacks. Just based on history I'd say 3 of the top 5 will bust and one of the late round guys will be better than anyone thinks.
I feel like this is said every year, and it's the easy out for scouts. Since most QBs bust, if you say they all suck you end up right the majority of the time.

I still think coaching has a lot to do with it. I love Fields, but think he's a bad fit with Nagy. I think Jones is the only one that succeeds with Nagy.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

But people still want to trade three first round picks for these guys. ?‍♂️