Bob McGinn's yearly QB article (interviews anonymous scouts)

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
But people still want to trade three first round picks for these guys. ?‍♂️

Yeah, I mean, I'll hope for the best if that's what happens but I personally wouldn't trade 3 first round picks for any draft pick ever. There is no such thing as a sure thing, and especially at quarterback. You trade 3 first round picks, you better be absolutely certain you're getting a franchise quarterback.

The fact that the Niners gave that up for the 3rd best QB prospect is absolutely batshit crazy.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I mean, I'll hope for the best if that's what happens but I personally wouldn't trade 3 first round picks for any draft pick ever. There is no such thing as a sure thing, and especially at quarterback. You trade 3 first round picks, you better be absolutely certain you're getting a franchise quarterback.

The fact that the Niners gave that up for the 3rd best QB prospect is absolutely batshit crazy.

Exactly.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You wondered why a career assistant took a head coach job?

Well if you read the quote, he had said Nagy was the KC HC. Just a little Sunday gotcha joke. I didn't think it was that hard .

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
You wondered why a career assistant took a head coach job?
In iueyedoc's defense, I had a typo and listed Nagy as the HC of the Chiefs, when he was the OC. It has been corrected.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Why does everyone just assume the Jags are going to give Minshew away?
+1 on that. I mean, with that logic, maybe we can convince the Jaguars to draft Lawrence, and then immediately trade him to the Bears for the Super Bowl MVP on our roster, ....

Seriously, it's not like Pace has a magic wand that makes 31 other GMs do his bidding. (On some days, it seems like the other GMs might have one that makes Pace do what they want, though.) You have to find a trade partner that gets benefit from the trade, is in the right position to make the trade, and accepts it.

I think we can safely assume that if Fields falls past the 49ers, Pace or his proxies will be on the phone with every team on the clock and next on the clock, checking what it will take to trade up for their pick. Some will ask way too much, others will say 'not interested, our guy is right here and he won't last'. He also might get 'we have a better offer from someone else, can you do better,' or worse yet, 'we're trading the pick to Y, and they are taking your guy.' All he can control is who the Bears take when we're on the clock. Let's hope he gets it right, whatever that looks like.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
The GOAT Joe Montana was a 3rd rd draft pick, 82nd overall
Right, right, I misremembered. Thanks for the correction.

Hey, we pick at 83, probably wouldn't be that hard to trade up to 82, right? Unless Washington also wants the QB, ....

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
I mean, when you list the best QBs of the last 40 years, many(most?) were taken outside the top 10.
Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Joe Burrow, Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Drew Bledsoe, and Troy Aikman were all #1 overall picks, and that's just back to 1989. There were also some dogs in there, who I won't bother listing.

My rough read on draft picks over the last 20 years indicates that a high first round pick has a 50% chance of being a steady starter for a number of years. As you move down the rounds, the percentage drops. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, but if you count up the number of 6th round quarterbacks that were steady starters, it's pretty low.

But that figure gives you a measure of one reasonable floor. If the floor you're looking for is All-pro level with a record well over 0.500, the numbers start lower, and still drop off as you move down the rounds.

All of that is meaningless in the most important sense. What matters is will the guy we picked pan out, and how much did we pay to get him. Jaguars are paying just their first this year to get Lawrence. Niners paid 3 firsts and more to get whomever they take. We'll know in 5-8 years how it shakes out.