Bobby Peters - What Happened to Matt Nagy's Offense in 2019?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
it's confusing for me, we made the NFC championship game w/ Cutler, not sure he could read any better. We've seen evidence of Trubisky not being able to read but have also seen him throw some amazing freaking dots....

It's about consistency. Cutler made some of the best throws I have ever seen. He also made it look like he played for the other team on occasion.

Consistency is the key.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Stop trying to make Trubisky happen. It's not going to happen.

Trubisky and the O-line couldn't execute, simple as that.

Nagy wasn't perfect but he isn't the one on the field.

Holy shit. You can't really be this dumb, can you?

I said nothing about Trubisky. But stop trying to make Trubisky happen?

Nagy isn't the one on the field? That's about the most meatball Special person shit you can say in defense of a coach.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Running game is all the rage now with defenses going mostly nickel. Most of the playoff teams are top 10 in rushing. Bears got a flavor of the week coach that’s now stale

The Bears are the last team to adopt new philosophies or revert back to old outdated forgotten ones.

Here we are 20 years after the wildcat 15 into the RPO. Hmmm lets try that! Something defenses have been studying for 15 years.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stopped reading at "From an offensive production standpoint, I place the least amount of blame on Nagy's play calling/ play design."

There is plenty of blame to spread around, but writing a piece trying to absolve Nagy of all blame is pretty laughable. He was one of the biggest reasons this offense failed in 2019.

How would you know if the piece tried to "absolve Nagy of all blame" if you STOPPED READING it?

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Cutler is a lot more arm talented then Mitch so he could make up for some defenecies with his cannon arm. If you're talking about just pure talent and not intangibles not or anything Cutler didn't really lack in that department. Mitch doesn't have nowhere near the arm talent and doesn't have the intangibles to make up for his lack of arm talent. It's a double whammy.

One guy will try to throw it into double coverage with no shits given one guy won't throw it unless there isn't a defender within 5 yards excluding to A rob. Mitch not being effective with his legs really hurt the offense lets be honest that's probably his best asset. As stated above a lot of times he handed it off when he should have kept it a lot and had as many rushing attempts as Rodgers this year. The o line is average at pass blocking and shit at run blocking.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The RPO is literally less successful every year in the nfl. Defensive players are all over this and you need a truly elite running QB to run this as much as Nagy does.

Consider this. The Wildcat is similar to the RPO only with the primary passer constantly touching the ball first. This isn't rocket science. Its very very gimmicky and unless you have elite speed and accelerationthe defensechas the advantage.

Things work in this order.

Trouble passing

Delayed draw to the RB. At least 2 of them. See if the defense adjust to the delays and cheats towards the run. If they do this it loosens up the passing game by giving your QB time to throw and an edge to extend off of. If the stay on the QB you simply run the ball again.

The problem here with matt nagy is that there is no delayed draws called.

Its a wait and see strategy thats the missing piece to the bears current RPO.

If you want me to go into detail lets talk football

NAgy leans on the RPO because his QB cannot read the entire field. It’s a play action pass for dummy’s. Weren’t people saying that Nagy had to simplify the offense for Trubisky? And now Nagy is getting bashed for it. :ROFLMAO:

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Also Tarik I love the sideline Cohen didn't help because he would run to the outside every time even though sometimes he had a gaping hole and a lot of space if he ran to the inside and defenses definitely knew this. Nagy definitely deserves blame but I wouldn't say it's the majority of it imo.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
NAgy leans on the RPO because his QB cannot read the entire field. It’s a play action pass for dummy’s. Weren’t people saying that Nagy had to simplify the offense for Trubisky? And now Nagy is getting bashed for it. :ROFLMAO:

Nagy had to simplify the offense for the entire offense. Not only Trubisky.

How many WR screens can he complete for 1 yard befire you understand the offense doesnt fit anyone.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Holy shit. You can't really be this dumb, can you?

I said nothing about Trubisky. But stop trying to make Trubisky happen?

Nagy isn't the one on the field? That's about the most meatball Special person shit you can say in defense of a coach.

This is the reaction of someone who is unable to take an objective view of what is happening. You are too emotional.

The examples are in the article of how Trubisky can't make a simple RPO read and how the offensive line was just straight up trash.

Did I like all of Nagy's decisions this season? Of course not.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

Also the RPO is Nagys playcalling of choice.

"I didnt come here to run the I formation."

Ran 8 plays from the I and drove right down the field for TD.

His RPO doesnt have the personnel. Trubisky included.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
RUN THE DAMN BALL!

to quote the colts

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many people would like to have Tannehill on the team rather than Trubisky?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is the reaction of someone who is unable to take an objective view of what is happening. You are too emotional.

The examples are in the article of how Trubisky can't make a simple RPO read and how the offensive line was just straight up trash.

Did I like all of Nagy's decisions this season? Of course not.

I'm too emotional and not objective enough to the point that I think that a lot of blame could be spread around on this offense, including the OL, the TE group, the QB, the playcalling, WR drops, Cohen, the complete lack of a run game?

I'm sorry, but I watched every game. Nagy's playcalling was horrendous. The execution of his players was horrendous. The penalties were horrendous. His abandonment of the running game was horrendous. Some of that can be blamed on players. A bulk of it should be blamed on Nagy. Or I mean, Heistand and Helfrich. Since they lost their heads over it. Nagy's scapegoats. ;)

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
If Derrick Henry comes with him, yes.
interesting point, i've wondered before how trubisky would look with a dominant RB....look how we handled the rams last year when gurley wasn't fully available

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone who answers yes to wanting Tannehill is full of shit. They would have kicked him off the team after year two...his stats were worse than Trubisky's. Tannehill would not have been around by the time he performed this well.

Tannehill never beat the passer rating Trubisky had until this year.

And whomever pointed out the running back.....yes that is a huge reason.