Bort Report: Official Scouting Report on This Years Quarterback Class

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
kaaya also went through 3 different systems in his time at miami. and when considering that, he handled it pretty damn well.

something i liked was that when i saw him on grudens qb camp, he talked about prep and how he breaks everything down and i also liked how at one point during the season(after their losing streak) he told the team something along the lines of "from here on out, no matter who we are playing, where we are playing, we are going to take a victory formation at the end of every game." and the did, they won their last 4 games convincingly. granted the competition wasnt the stiffest and their record wasnt great in the end, but still.

and ill admit, when i originally wrote him off due to the pressure thing, it was only after watching 2016 footage. i have since gone back and watched 2015 footage and he was like a different player in that regard. i wonder what happened? as i mentioned he changed systems, so perhaps that somehow had something to do with it.

anyway, i think i like kaaya later in the draft better than any of the other prospects now. he has just as much upside, if not more, and wont require reaching for at 3.

Im also very high on Kaaya. I think he's being severely underrated.

6TNAH-.gif

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kaaya does not move well in the pocket. He avoids sacks by getting rid of the ball, and he gets hit a lot, even when he isn't taking sacks.

I think it would be much more accurate to say "Kaaya's ability to quickly, accurately, and intelligently get rid of the football is elite."

This is true. He takes massive shots. He was murdered in that October 8th FSU game. He took a blatant helmet to the face, and he suffered a foot and shoulder injury. He did play through the injuries, but they went on to lose 4 in a row.

cdaVv2.gif

Cr-oyB.gif

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
That's a big deal for me. Kaaya is growing on me as the best day two option if they go defense @3.

Totally agree. I'd be really pleased if they drafted two QBs, Kaaya being the late round pick. That's asking too much though.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's term used in all forms of life.
" a person who acts in an aggressive and decisive manner, especially in business or politics, as an investor who takes large risks in seeking large, quick gains." Being decisive doesn't mean they are good decisions. In this case it means stubborn. Throwing accurately to covered WRs is part of it as that's the risk part. You roll the dice and often come up roses. I'm actually OK with it. I don't mind deep INTs as much as most. Gunslingers keep the safeties back. It's the stupid shorter ones that kill you.

From the site that you got your definition:
What is Gunslinger?
This is a quarterback who plays the position in a decisive, aggressive manner. In order to be a gunslinger you must have the ability to throw deep, accurate passes.

Brett Favre is considered to be the NFL's top gunslinger of all time. Favre was known for throwing the ball hard and accurate into almost any coverage on the field.

You read that and still used Farve as your anti example, LOL. https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/gunslinger.aspx

.......cuz me and everybody here knows Farve was inaccurate. An accurate "Gunslinger " would be a Marino or Moon

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yet Moon was 4% less accurate. Marino 3% less so. Some of that was the different rules and I'm not saying they are less accurate real world throwers when playing but I saw Farve's entire career and to say he's inaccurate is just stupid, especially downfield. You don't go to 11 Pro Bowls by missing targets. Keep digging that hole. I also never said gunslingers hurt their team so I don't know why you projected that onto me.

By the way, your definition of Gunslinger cam from NFL network. You inappropriately read into it and used the #one Gunslinger of all time as your example of what isn't one. There are times that I think you really can't be this stupid and are just trolling us.

Here's their list of top 10 all time Gunslingers:
1. Brett Favre
2. Dan Marino
3. Sonny Jurgensen
4. Dan Fouts
5. Sammy Baugh
6. Jim Kelly
7. Daryle Lamonica
8. Warren Moon
9. Kurt Warner
10. Joe Namath

OK everyone. Run and shoot says Favre IS NOT a gunslinger. If you give a shit, thank him if he's right or if Farve is a Gunslinger, thank me. I totally understand if you don't give a shit and think this is too stupid to respond to..

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I don't like any of them at #3.

If we want to make a splash and improve the offense, Fournette and Howard running the ball, with any QB that is not Cutler is the way to go!!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I consider Trubisky at 3 and think Mahomes might be the steal of this draft in the bottom 1/2 of one if he finds the right situation.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bort you are the MAN!!

These write up are completely spot on. I especially like how you didn't just regurgitate popular draft analyst reports and projections. You have Mahomes and Trubisky as top 5 picks. Also, I think your only other NFL starter you have is Peterman. The rest all projects that I think we should leave alone. Project QBs very rarely work out in the NFL, unless you are going to find a coach to build a system suited for them.

This is my take or a little summary of all the prospect of your write ups

STARTERS
Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech the top quarterback prospect in this class I think he arguably has as much upside of any quarterback prospect in the past decade

Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina I think he's a safer pick than Mahomes he doesn't have a discernible weakness. Trubisky and Mahomes are, in my opinion, the two elite quarterback prospects in this draft, and both are head and shoulders above the rest of the prospects.

Nathan Peterman, Pitt I think you can project him as an NFL starter with a high floor and a low ceiling. He's probably the guy most ready to start on day 1 (other than maybe Trubisky).

DEVELOPMENTAL / PROJECTS
Deshaun Watson, Clemson There's also a chance his arm improves, but that doesn't happen very often. He also might end up being a guy who has a couple successful seasons as a read-option quarterback and then fizzles. I think you're looking at a read-option type guy who needs to make plays with his legs to be successful.

Brad Kaaya, Miami I think he might simply be too unathletic to play in the NFL. He would absolutely require a great offensive line to be effective.

Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame He's a project. He has a long way to go before he could step foot on an NFL football field
Davis Webb, Cal Overall, Webb has all of the physical traits you'd want in a starting NFL quarterback, but his decision-making is just bizarre. If you could fix his head, you'd really have something.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If we can somehow get either Mahomes, Kayya or Webb in the first 3 rounds I will like the results. Even better if we trade down and collect picks for next years draft class so next year we can cut Glennon (if he isn't good) and have a number 1 from next year and a guy who is coming into his second year competing.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Im also very high on Kaaya. I think he's being severely underrated.

6TNAH-.gif

I think the camera angle makes him look faster than he is. Kaaya is always the slowest player on the field and gets run down easily by defensive tackles. We don't know what any of his measurables are as far as speed and agility because he declined do run the 40 or do and of the agility drills at the combine and his pro day.

Kaaya allegedly ran a 4.9 40 at some point in high school or college, but it can't possibly be an accurate time. Just based on watching him, there's no way he could run it in under 5.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yet Moon was 4% less accurate. Marino 3% less so. Some of that was the different rules and I'm not saying they are less accurate real world throwers when playing but I saw Farve's entire career and to say he's inaccurate is just stupid, especially downfield. You don't go to 11 Pro Bowls by missing targets. Keep digging that hole. I also never said gunslingers hurt their team so I don't know why you projected that onto me.

By the way, your definition of Gunslinger cam from NFL network. You inappropriately read into it and used the #one Gunslinger of all time as your example of what isn't one. There are times that I think you really can't be this stupid and are just trolling us.

Here's their list of top 10 all time Gunslingers:
1. Brett Favre
2. Dan Marino
3. Sonny Jurgensen
4. Dan Fouts
5. Sammy Baugh
6. Jim Kelly
7. Daryle Lamonica
8. Warren Moon
9. Kurt Warner
10. Joe Namath

OK everyone. Run and shoot says Favre IS NOT a gunslinger. If you give a shit, thank him if he's right or if Farve is a Gunslinger, thank me. I totally understand if you don't give a shit and think this is too stupid to respond to..

Who has thrown the most interceptions in the NFL?
Most Interceptions Thrown, Career
1. Brett Favre 336........YEP, THAT'S ACCURACY
2. George Blanda 277
3. John Hadl 268
4. Vinny Testaverde 267
5. Fran Tarkenton 266

Farve cost GB a lotta games with coutless INTS . Had he not won a SB, he wouldn't be as lauded. What's really stupid is you calling a f-cking slave holder "humane". Remember that one.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Like we didn't know that, idiot. 11 Pro Bowls. Championship. HOF. 12-10 playoff record. Retired with the TD record. Looks like nice company up there. Fits pretty well with my high risk, high reward scenario.

You mean where you destroyed the National Anthem? Context dick head. Pot and Kettle. LOL at you calling anyone a racist, especially a libtard like me. We can agree on Moon but that you can dump on Favre and love on Kaep says a lot. If I thought Kaepernick could play within our O, I'd be all over that. I don't. Maybe you didn't watch that 39 rating game here last year. Seems a great guy but not a great QB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really do think that interceptions, touchdowns, completions, and incompletions can be lucky, unlucky, good, bad, etc, and so it's always so much better to watch the games through a couple times rather than to look at statistics.

Take the Duke game for example. In my opinion, by far the worst pass that Trubisky threw in that game (and one of the worst passes I saw him throw in any game) was late in the 2nd quarter on 1st and 10 where Trubisky thought there was an opening that didn't exist because he didn't see the corner dropping and basically threw the ball right to him, but the corner dropped what should have been a "bad" interception.

On the other hand, I think both of the interceptions Trubisky threw in that game would fall into my category of "good" interceptions. On the first one, he made the correct read and threw to an open receiver, but a defensive player made a great athletic play to tip it near the line of scrimmage. I think that was a good read and a good throw, it was just unlucky. On the second one, his team was trailing with about a minute left on the clock and the ball at like his own 10 yard line, which is a reasonable time to try to force a throw you wouldn't otherwise make. The fact that it happened to be first down wasn't really an issue since he was so deep in his own territory with so little time on the clock.

In the Stanford game, the first interception was on 3rd and 4 at midfield in the 2nd quarter, which isn't a bad time or place to throw one. I agree that the second interception was "bad", though. 2nd and 9 deep in your own territory with 14 minutes to play and a small lead is a terrible time and place to throw a pick, and it was an awful read where he didn't see even see the safety. Overall, though, I thought Trubisky played well in the Stanford game, much better than his stat line would tell you. Two separate times in the fourth quarter, receivers dropped what should have been long touchdown passes. This drop was pretty ridiculous:

giphy.gif
Nice synopsis.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kaaya does not move well in the pocket. He avoids sacks by getting rid of the ball, and he gets hit a lot, even when he isn't taking sacks.

I think it would be much more accurate to say "Kaaya's ability to quickly, accurately, and intelligently get rid of the football is elite."

Agreed though I suspect his movement within the pocket will improve with more time in a given O. He can't take that many shots in the NFL and hope to be close enough to 100% most of a season. I still take him over Webb based on film. The more I watched, the more Kizer fell and Mahomes rose for me but I still have Trubisky as my #1 and Watson in the top 3.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
5. Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame

Games watched:
2015: All of them
2016: All of them

Many Notre Dame fans are extremely puzzled when they hear about Kizer as a top NFL prospect. They just watched Kizer take a very talented team that was ranked in the top 10 in the country in preseason polls and lead them to a 4-8 record. "They lost to the fucking Naval Academy!" fans would scream.

I think the first piece of this puzzle is that Kizer really looks like an NFL quarterback. He passes the eye test better than any other player in this class. He's 6'4, strong and muscular, moves extremely well, and has an absolute cannon for an arm. You watch him throw a couple 15 yard out pattern in shorts and a t-shirt and you start thinking maybe he's a #1 overall pick. But then you watch the game film, and your opinion, uh, changes...

First things first, he does indeed have phenomenal arm strength. No one in this class has better velocity on their fastball (except maybe Mahomes). He's also pretty accurate left-right. He does that one thing extremely well: throw high-velocity high-rpm accurate fastballs. His problem is that's basically the only throw he makes consistently. Any time he has to put any touch on the ball, his accuracy and consistency just disappear. A lot of his interceptions were badly overthrown or underthrown touch passes.

He also has great size for his position. He's not just 6'4, he's muscular and broad-shouldered. He also moves around extremely well for a guy his size. He doesn't have great top-end speed, but he has a good short burst, good agility, and good lateral quickness. He also runs with power and can bulldoze would-be tacklers. He can really make a lot of plays with his legs.

His major weakness is general awareness. He never seems to have any idea what's going on on the football field around him. Sometimes, he doesn't even bother looking. I've seen plays where he had good protection, stared for about 4 seconds directly at his primary receiver who never at any point came open, and then fired a rifle shot at that not-open receiver. Sometimes, through sheer luck and velocity, the ball would make it through to the not-open receiver, and he'd catch it. Nonetheless, this is not a strategy for consistent success at football at any level. I'm not exaggerating. The difference between watching Kizer versus watching a guy like Peterman or Trubisky is so striking and so jarring that it's almost comical. Kizer also has a tendency to throw completely boneheaded interceptions at the worst possible times. Up two scores in the second half of a game? Perfect time to throw the ball directly to a defender.

On the other hand, allegedly, Kizer interviews well, though, so at least he's got that going for him.

Overall, Kizer looks like an NFL quarterback, has good athleticism for an NFL quarterback, and has good arm strength for an NFL quarterback. However, he does not appear to have any understanding of how to play the position. He also appears to lack any football instincts or awareness, which are things I'm not sure can be taught. He's a project. He has a long way to go before he could step foot on an NFL football field. It's worth noting that the ranking and draft projection are based on potential, not how good of a player I thought Kizer was in college. If it were based on how good of a player I thought Kizer was in college, I'd have him being undrafted. But there are very few people on the planet who are as big, athletic, and strong-armed as Kizer, so I think he deserves this ranking based on potential.

Draft Projection: 3rd Round

Bonus gif for fun:

62922ee0-804e-11e5-9dec-6def6ee0f332_fuller.0.gif

He also has a habit of throwing late and not anticipating when a guy he's watching will come open.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
4. Nathan Peterman, Pitt

Games watched:
2015: Georgia Tech
2016: North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami, Penn State

Much like Trubisky, Peterman very quickly went from a college backup to a top NFL prospect. Peterman's overall game is also very similar to Trubisky's, although not as good. He's like Trubisky-lite. If you miss Trubisky in the first round, why not grab Trubisky-lite in the second? (This is only sort of true, there are actually some things I think Peterman does better than Trubisky.)

His arm strength is mediocre to average. He does a good job of getting the most out of it, though, with excellent mechanics. He is also extremely accurate, probably second only to Kaaya in this class. He's not one of those guys who wows you with great throws, he's a guy who grows on you the more you watch him due to his consistency and accuracy. He also has a very effective deep ball despite not having great arm strength due to his ability to drop the ball in on a dime and hit the receiver perfectly in stride. On the other hand, he does struggle when forced to throw backpedaling or on the run, which reflects limited arm strength.

His build is just like everyone else I've posted about so far. He's a thick, muscular 6'2. Out of all of the 6'2 guys, though, Peterman is the one whose height scares me the most. He doesn't have the athleticism of Mahomes, Trubisky, or Watson (although I'd say his athleticism is pretty good-- above average quickness and agility, and he also flashes a surprisingly good top speed every now and then when he's forced to scramble, and he's able to deceptively outrun defenders). He also doesn't have the same ability to throw from multiple arm angles or sling the ball with good zip off his back foot. He needs to be set, and he needs space to throw, and he's not great at creating space for himself if his pass protection isn't good.

On the other hand, I absolutely love Peterman's headiness, awareness, and consistency. He goes through his progressions better than anyone in the draft class other than maybe Trubisky. He's really a technician who may end up as a quarterback coach someday. If his offensive line gives him time, he will find the open receiver and deliver the ball to him in stride consistently and efficiently. Like with Trubisky, if someone's open or about to become open, the ball is usually coming.

Overall, I think Peterman is a decent prospect who would be a great prospect if only he were a couple inches taller. A lot of people say that the cutoff is 6'2 and after that, you're safe. I disagree. A quarterback's height requirement is dictated by his style of play. Peterman is a guy who would be so much more effective in the NFL at 6'4 or 6'5 than at 6'2. Nonetheless, I think he can play at the NFL level, and I think you can project him as an NFL starter with a high floor and a low ceiling. He's probably the guy most ready to start on day 1 (other than maybe Trubisky).

Draft Projection: 2nd Round

Bonus gif for fun:

PlushDefiniteAddax.gif
He's the guy that looks ready to step in. Hot reads, good decisions and timely throws. I'm not as satisfied with his arm at the next level as you are and think our 2nd is a bit rich for him.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bort you are the MAN!!

These write up are completely spot on. I especially like how you didn't just regurgitate popular draft analyst reports and projections. You have Mahomes and Trubisky as top 5 picks. Also, I think your only other NFL starter you have is Peterman. The rest all projects that I think we should leave alone. Project QBs very rarely work out in the NFL, unless you are going to find a coach to build a system suited for them.

This is my take or a little summary of all the prospect of your write ups

STARTERS
Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech the top quarterback prospect in this class I think he arguably has as much upside of any quarterback prospect in the past decade

Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina I think he's a safer pick than Mahomes he doesn't have a discernible weakness. Trubisky and Mahomes are, in my opinion, the two elite quarterback prospects in this draft, and both are head and shoulders above the rest of the prospects.

Nathan Peterman, Pitt I think you can project him as an NFL starter with a high floor and a low ceiling. He's probably the guy most ready to start on day 1 (other than maybe Trubisky).

DEVELOPMENTAL / PROJECTS
Deshaun Watson, Clemson There's also a chance his arm improves, but that doesn't happen very often. He also might end up being a guy who has a couple successful seasons as a read-option quarterback and then fizzles. I think you're looking at a read-option type guy who needs to make plays with his legs to be successful.

Brad Kaaya, Miami I think he might simply be too unathletic to play in the NFL. He would absolutely require a great offensive line to be effective.

Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame He's a project. He has a long way to go before he could step foot on an NFL football field
Davis Webb, Cal Overall, Webb has all of the physical traits you'd want in a starting NFL quarterback, but his decision-making is just bizarre. If you could fix his head, you'd really have something.

Lol Nathan Peterman, only in Chicago...

Bort

Liked Posts:
He's the guy that looks ready to step in. Hot reads, good decisions and timely throws. I'm not as satisfied with his arm at the next level as you are and think our 2nd is a bit rich for him.

I'm not really that satisfied with Peterman's arm strength, either, which is why I said "mediocre to average." He's not a noodle arm, though.

As far as the 2nd round thing, Peterman just really grew on me the more I watched him. There's some Kurt Warner in him (not that Peterman is that good, just that his playing style reminds me of Warner).