Bosh not available this summer?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I wasn't really paying that close attention, but I thought you were arguing about whether Bosh would appreciate our situation given our limited financial flexibility and the inability to add more pieces around him than what is here presently.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
Nope. I'm arguing that Chicago is a more attractive place to play than Miami, if you're a star looking to get paid. The bigger market means extra income. I then, as a bonus, said that even though Miami has Dwyane Wade, we have an up-coming star of our own and a better supporting cast plus role players.

In essence, it boils down to these factors;

Miami can offer:

- Dwyane Wade
- Maximum contract
- Playoff team

Chicago can offer:

- Maxmimum contract
- Bigger market
- Derrick Rose
- Better supporting cast
- Playoff team

I then argued that we as a team have great financial flexibility with the amount of expiring deals and rookie contracts on our hands. The fact that uncle Jerry won't utilize that advantage is a problem deserving of a new thread a new time.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I think Miami has a better supporting cast.

Dwyane Wade = Better supporting cast.

You get stars, and getting depth is usually pretty easy, especially for Miami which is in a no "state income tax" state and has a climate and atmosphere that most players find very appealing.

I don't think it will come down to Bosh choosing Miami over Chicago though. If he's to be traded he'll have a list of destinations he finds acceptable, both Miami and Chicago would likely be on the list.

The team that makes the best trade offer would win.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
Crap.

I completely forgot they didn't have state income tax. Well that definitely changes things.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Morten Jensen wrote:
Crap.

I completely forgot they didn't have state income tax. Well that definitely changes things.
Yeah and ours just went up 50%. So it looks even worse but if you think about Toronto has higher taxes than both.

dunkside.com

Liked Posts:
Morten Jensen wrote:
Correct, but there is a reason I use this logic when it comes to Bosh. In an interview a few months back, he pretty much broke down what he was looking for AKA what the Raptors should do. I'm still searching for that piece, but the gist of it was he wanted to be a part of a team that had a core which could go forward. We fit that description moreso than Miami if you aske me.

I agree Bosh seems to be more informed and more in touch with things than most other players.

Morten Jensen wrote:
And this is here the bigger market, a stronger core and the Beasley effect comes in. Bosh may prefer Wade over Rose, but would he also:

- Want to share minutes with Beasley?
- Want to go into an unstable environment (roster stability)?
- Want to be in a smaller market?

Do you REALLY think Bosh will share minutes with Beasley ?!?! REALLY ?!?
C'mon. It's one of these:
- Bosh plays center with Beasley at PF (not great IMO, cause Bosh is too light to play C lots of minutes)
- Bosh plays PF and Beasley is moved to SF (he has range on his shot, so I think he might adapt fairly easy)
- Bosh plays PF and Beasley comes off the bench or is traded

Morten Jensen wrote:
So because the Heat won a title three years ago, Bosh should be interested. That's flawed logic. Wade and Haslem are the only remaining Heat players from that time. The Bulls won 6 titles in the 90's. There, now you have two equally worthless reasonings that won't matter at all.

I think it's your logic that is flawed, cause the Heat have the same GM/President that promised a parade and delivered. Paxson at this moment has nothing to help his credibility other than what he did as a player, which isn't that much.

Riles has 5 titles. He has the credentials. He can come to Bosh and say: "I promised a parade and delivered. Join us and I promise you'll get a title."

What can Paxson say ? "Join us and perhaps next time maybe we won't miss out on a good coach. Maybe." ????

Morten Jensen wrote:
You seem to put Miami on a pedestal. Bulls kill Miami in terms of role players, they have a perfectly fine GM and an improving coach.

All these are a matter of opinion. So far Paxson and Vinnie did NOT prove themselves - and by that I mean building a contender, or at least a team that's constantly winning. If you need to hire a mason and 2 people come for the interview, one of them says "I built 5 houses" and the other one says "Well, I laid a few bricks so far" who you gonna hire ?!

Morten Jensen wrote:
1. We're a playoff team
2. We have Derrick Rose
3. We have a supporting cast
4. We have financial flexibility

You overrate the Bulls situation.

Morten Jensen wrote:
Seriously. Look at our salary structure and tell me we don't have flexibility. We have a contract that can be 80% covered. We have a $12M expiring contract, we have a $6M expiring contract and we have a declining deal with only three years left for a high-quality guard.

Saying we don't have financial flexibility is just very, very inaccurate.

No, it's not.
There is no cap space, the Bulls have 2 massively overpaid players. Hinrich and Deng were overpaid when they signed those contracts. And then they started playing worse. Especially in this economy, how desirable do you think the contracts of Hinrich and Deng are ?!

And having expiring contracts doesn't necessarily mean you have flexibility if the players whose contracts expire are filling a role for your team.

Assuming you include Tyrus in a trade for Bosh, if you let Miller expire and not resign him (so you can have flexibility) who's gonna be your 3rd big ? Aaron Gray ? Are you kidding me ? And if you keep Miller, than you will have to pay let's say 5 million per season if not more. Then it's not a 12 million expiring anymore, is it ?

No, the Cavs have flexibility with the contracts of Snow and Szczerbiak. Well, they had it but chose not to trade Wally. And they will have MAJOR FLEXIBILITY in 2010 when without the contract of Lebron they only have contracts worth 20 million.

Morten Jensen wrote:
Well, yes. But isn't that kind of the point? The flexibility we have now will be 'used' on Bosh as I'm guessing several expiring contracts will change hands.

See, now you contradict yourself.
I said Miami would have flexibility EVEN AFTER getting Bosh.
If the Bulls get Bosh, that's it. They won't have any other desirable contracts other than Rose and, maybe, Noah (but Noah alone won't bring much back). They won't have picks and for sure they won't have cap space.

The problem is that Bosh alone won't make the Bulls championship material, and since they won't have flexibility, they won't be able to improve except via late 1st round picks so they will be stuck. Their only chance would be to hope a star falls in their lap a la "Gasol to the Lakers", but otherwise the Bulls would find themselves where the Rockets and Nuggets were the past seasons: always making the playoffs but never being a real contender.

If we exclude Bosh, I honestly still feel we stand strong in terms of contracts. We have one potential albatross in Deng, but that's it. Salmons is on a good deal, we have a good chunk of rookie contracts, two semi-large expirings and one major.

Given that some teams would love to shake themselves of long-term contracts, we could make a killing with the contracts we currently have.

I do agree that it's not likely given JR's prior history. But isn't that an entirely different issue? Make Mark Cuban or Paul Allen the owner on this team with these contracts, and we could turn them into gold.[/quote]

Morten Jensen wrote:
Nope. I'm arguing that Chicago is a more attractive place to play than Miami, if you're a star looking to get paid. The bigger market means extra income.

You keep coming back to money. That's your only real valid argument (although considering Doug's point of Miami having no state income tax, even that one is not valid anymore).

And in fact we don't even need to limit the conversation at Miami. What I was trying to do was to point out that in reality there aren't many reasons to believe Bosh will end up with the Bulls and I chose the Heat as an example of a team able to offer him more.

But we can go to the Cavs if you want. In 2010 they'll have enough cap space to sign a major FA (after retaining Lebron) and then still have room to offer another contract or 2. I suppose Z will stay with them and give them a big discount, Varejao will get a raise, Ben Wallace may retire, but by then JJ Hickson might be good enough to round out the front court and they'll still have Mo Williams, Delonte and Boobie in the back court. And recently Kidd said he might consider going to the Cavs this summer.

Why wouldn't Bosh want to go to Cleveland in this case ? He doesn't have to request a trade, and he can even let any team that might want to trade for him know (through his agent) that he won't stay there. So he kills all trades, plays out his contract and then signs with the Cavs. Does it seem that far fetched ? Not to me.

Again, I am 99.99% sure that you won't see Bosh in a Bulls uniform anytime soon. If ever.
You just have to remember that the Bulls missed out on Gasol, on Kobe (when he was basically begging the Bulls to trade for him) and on D'Antoni, and remember all the blunders by the front office and then ask yourself if you have confidence in them to actually build a contender. The only way the Bulls become a contender is by accident or if the ownership and/or front office change.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
dunkside.com wrote:
Do you REALLY think Bosh will share minutes with Beasley ?!?! REALLY ?!?
C'mon. It's one of these:
- Bosh plays center with Beasley at PF (not great IMO, cause Bosh is too light to play C lots of minutes)
- Bosh plays PF and Beasley is moved to SF (he has range on his shot, so I think he might adapt fairly easy)
- Bosh plays PF and Beasley comes off the bench or is traded

- Bosh is no center. Not even part time. This has been tried and it failed.
- Again, no. Beasley would not fit in as a SF. His skill-set and ballhandling fits a PF.
- More likely, but the latest scoring outspurts and a potentially good playoffs could change that easily.

Regardless of what you think, this will present a problem.

I think it's your logic that is flawed, cause the Heat have the same GM/President that promised a parade and delivered. Paxson at this moment has nothing to help his credibility other than what he did as a player, which isn't that much.

Riles has 5 titles. He has the credentials. He can come to Bosh and say: "I promised a parade and delivered. Join us and I promise you'll get a title."

What can Paxson say ? "Join us and perhaps next time maybe we won't miss out on a good coach. Maybe." ????

So what? What the hell does that matter? Nothing is guarenteed anyway. Take today as an example. Riley could buy him a house shaped as the Larry O'Brien championship trophy, and it still wouldn't matter. Promises of a ring are truely and utterly worthless.

Besides, who's to say the Bulls won't be in the same hunt for a title as soon as Bosh is on board?

All these are a matter of opinion. So far Paxson and Vinnie did NOT prove themselves - and by that I mean building a contender, or at least a team that's constantly winning. If you need to hire a mason and 2 people come for the interview, one of them says "I built 5 houses" and the other one says "Well, I laid a few bricks so far" who you gonna hire ?!

Still completely irrelevant. For one, this is the NBA. Not a construction site. Second of all, the players hold the power. Was Doc Rivers considered an elite coach before he got Allen and KG? No, he was close to being fired actually.

The selling point you're trying to make is ridiculously low on the list, and not even worth mentioning. This is a 'what have you done for me lately' league, and a ring three years ago means squad. If Miami should pull the incredible upset and win this year, then you'll be right. Otherwise, that selling point means absolutley nothing.

And you underrate it.

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

There is no cap space, the Bulls have 2 massively overpaid players. Hinrich and Deng were overpaid when they signed those contracts. And then they started playing worse. Especially in this economy, how desirable do you think the contracts of Hinrich and Deng are ?!

Hinrich is not massively overpaid. That's ridiculous to even say that. He's owed $26 million on a declining deal for another three years. Excellent value for a starting point guard in the NBA. Something he would be on another team.

And having expiring contracts doesn't necessarily mean you have flexibility if the players whose contracts expire are filling a role for your team.

That depends. Are those role players moved for a star? If so, then yes. That's flexibility at it's finest. Since Bosh is a star, and we'd be trying to move those kind of contracts to get him, you have to look at them as financial options. Since we have two semi-large and one big, I'd say that's a good place to start.

Assuming you include Tyrus in a trade for Bosh, if you let Miller expire and not resign him (so you can have flexibility) who's gonna be your 3rd big ? Aaron Gray ? Are you kidding me ? And if you keep Miller, than you will have to pay let's say 5 million per season if not more. Then it's not a 12 million expiring anymore, is it ?

That made absolutely no sense.

What you're saying is, if we keep Miller, let him expire, and then re-sign him.. He's no longer an expiring? I thought that was well known by everyone that once a player becomes a FA, he will no longer be an expiring contract.......

No, the Cavs have flexibility with the contracts of Snow and Szczerbiak. Well, they had it but chose not to trade Wally. And they will have MAJOR FLEXIBILITY in 2010 when without the contract of Lebron they only have contracts worth 20 million.

Again. You're not really making sense here. What does Wally have to do with this? Cleveland had flexibility in the off-season and will again this summer with Wally off the cap. In 2010 they will also have flexibility. But what does that have to do with us?

See, now you contradict yourself.

I'm really not.

If the Bulls get Bosh, that's it. They won't have any other desirable contracts other than Rose and, maybe, Noah (but Noah alone won't bring much back). They won't have picks and for sure they won't have cap space.

How would Miami have flexibility? Wade plus Bosh would take up a huge chunk of the salary cap. Since you also have to give Toronto something for Bosh, Miami would lose a lot of decent talent. The Bulls might not have a lot of movable contracts after a Bosh deal, but so what? We'll have Chris Bosh!

The problem is that Bosh alone won't make the Bulls championship material, and since they won't have flexibility, they won't be able to improve except via late 1st round picks so they will be stuck.

In your opinion maybe. I disagree. Rose + Bosh + Noah + Salmons or Deng + a possible BG return is a team I'd say could be a contender right off the bat.

Their only chance would be to hope a star falls in their lap a la "Gasol to the Lakers", but otherwise the Bulls would find themselves where the Rockets and Nuggets were the past seasons: always making the playoffs but never being a real contender.

Considering the Atlanta Hawks just made the 4th seed with Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby as their best players, I quite simply don't agree with that sentiment. I think we'd have a contending team if we gave up our picks, expiring deals and Tyrus for Bosh. Easily.

You keep coming back to money. That's your only real valid argument (although considering Doug's point of Miami having no state income tax, even that one is not valid anymore).

Even with the tax argument, a case can be made for Chicago. The size of the market plays a huge part in this. Bosh on a succesful Chicago Bulls team can make at least $10 million on the side each season through commercials and whatnot. He won't see that kind of money in Miami. Adding up everything, and Bosh could in fact be earning more here.

And in fact we don't even need to limit the conversation at Miami. What I was trying to do was to point out that in reality there aren't many reasons to believe Bosh will end up with the Bulls and I chose the Heat as an example of a team able to offer him more.

Again, I disagree. I think you're selling us way short. Not ever underestimate the attraction of a large market, and especially a large market that has a star rookie point guard on a team that just made the playoffs. We're standing strong, wheter you want to believe it or not.

But we can go to the Cavs if you want. In 2010 they'll have enough cap space to sign a major FA (after retaining Lebron) and then still have room to offer another contract or 2. I suppose Z will stay with them and give them a big discount, Varejao will get a raise, Ben Wallace may retire, but by then JJ Hickson might be good enough to round out the front court and they'll still have Mo Williams, Delonte and Boobie in the back court. And recently Kidd said he might consider going to the Cavs this summer.

In the summer of 2009, the majority of the 2010 free agents will likely sign extensions. That could include Chris Bosh. Only, he might want to do it with another team than Toronto. Since Cleveland can't absorb salary, and doesn't have the necessary pieces to make a valid pitch to Toronto, their chances are low. If Bosh test the waters in 2010 and not 2009, then yes. You'd be right. But both Bosh and Colangelo has said there will be talks over the summer, which strongly indicates it's 2009 and not 2010 he signs.

Why wouldn't Bosh want to go to Cleveland in this case ? He doesn't have to request a trade, and he can even let any team that might want to trade for him know (through his agent) that he won't stay there. So he kills all trades, plays out his contract and then signs with the Cavs. Does it seem that far fetched ? Not to me.

Exactly what he can do with the Bulls as well. As Doug said, he'll have a short list. But let's say Cleveland offers Toronto JJ Hickson and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Toronto would be better off hanging onto Chris a year longer in hope to change his mind. It's really not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

Again, I am 99.99% sure that you won't see Bosh in a Bulls uniform anytime soon. If ever. You just have to remember that the Bulls missed out on Gasol, on Kobe (when he was basically begging the Bulls to trade for him) and on D'Antoni, and remember all the blunders by the front office and then ask yourself if you have confidence in them to actually build a contender. The only way the Bulls become a contender is by accident or if the ownership and/or front office change.

Kobe was never really in play. You should know that. Gasol was vetoed by JR and is an inferior player to Bosh anyway, so JR might agree to a Bosh trade. D'Antoni is 100% correct. I don't know what went wrong there.

But the mid-season trade really did wonders for my confidence in the FO. You may not be a believer, which is fine. But you're most certainly not dragging me down with you in that department. I have confidence that the Bulls will make a valid pitch for Bosh or Amare Stoudemire. We did all we could at the deadline, which means we're active and ready to move pieces around.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Today should prove that Rose+Bosh or Amare+Noah+Salmons or Deng+Gordon is an elite basketball team.

dunkside.com

Liked Posts:

And you underrate it.

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

That's a great debate we're having here.
:laugh:

Morten Jensen wrote:
Again. You're not really making sense here. What does Wally have to do with this? Cleveland had flexibility in the off-season and will again this summer with Wally off the cap. In 2010 they will also have flexibility. But what does that have to do with us?

Let's talk a little about flexibility. When a contract expires, like Wally this summer, it doesn't offer you flexibility if you're over the cap. It does while it's still an expiring and you can trade it.

Flexibility = the possibility of acquiring talent. Is achieved through a combination of:
- cap space so you can sign FA's or taken on bigger contracts
- picks
- desirable contracts (expirings, rookie contracts, role players on decent deals)
- young talent

Morten Jensen wrote:
How would Miami have flexibility? Wade plus Bosh would take up a huge chunk of the salary cap. Since you also have to give Toronto something for Bosh, Miami would lose a lot of decent talent.

I suggest you check the numbers. Miami has enough cap space to sign 3 max contracts in 2010 (or close, depending on the cap value).

I also suggest you read more carefully. I said that Bosh can chose Miami and PLAY OUT HIS CURRENT CONTRACT then go to the Heat. In fact, him not requesting a trade makes it even more likely. So there's no trade, and the Heat lose no talent to get him.

Morten Jensen wrote:
The Bulls might not have a lot of movable contracts after a Bosh deal, but so what? We'll have Chris Bosh!

Again I suggest you read carefully. I said Bosh would be more inclined to chose Miami because they'd still have flexibility AFTER he got there. AFTER. Not before, AFTER.

Bosh being the informed smart player he is, he'd think about it, right ?!
The Heat would have him, Wade, Cook, Beasley, Chalmers and James Jones. Haslem would be a FA, but he might sign with the Heat for even less money than he's making now. That's a decent core. And the Heat could be looking at an extra 5-10 million to throw at other FA's. And veteran FAs will be flocking to Miami with "discount" tags around their necks.

In any case we seem to disagree on the subject and each of us feels strongly on the subject so I say we end this for the moment. Time will tell who was right.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
Anybody with common sense know that if Bosh name come up in trade talks -similar to Jay Cutler- will result in Bosh feeling disloyalty in regard to management. We should just go after Shaq or Stat. If that doesn't work, we have the 16th pick and the 26th. I like adding a banger in Blair or Mullens. Just imagine if we add them to this current roster..., nice right? The big thing is we need depth in the front-court. adding a contributor in the back-court is only more muscle milk - too good!

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Basghetti80 wrote:
Today should prove that Rose+Bosh or Amare+Noah+Salmons or Deng+Gordon is an elite basketball team.
I don't think anyone doubted that a starting 5 of Rose, BG, Salmons/Deng, Bosh and Noah is a top team in the east. I think people are doubting the attainability of Bosh. Certainly we aren't the only one interested.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
dunkside.com wrote:
That's a great debate we're having here.
:laugh:

Indeed. Takes me back to pre-school when discussing if Batman could beat Superman. (He so can, BTW)

Let's talk a little about flexibility. When a contract expires, like Wally this summer, it doesn't offer you flexibility if you're over the cap. It does while it's still an expiring and you can trade it.

Which is what Brad Miller, Tim Thomas and Jerome James are. Expirings. From the moment the season ended, they have been viewed as expiring contracts. On draft day, that's what they'll be viewed as.

I also disagree that just because you're over the cap, it removes your financial flexibility. By my account, flexability means you have movable contracts that can be desirable for other teams. Given the market and economy, I'd say they look good right about now.

Flexibility = the possibility of acquiring talent. Is achieved through a combination of:
- cap space so you can sign FA's or taken on bigger contracts
- picks
- desirable contracts (expirings, rookie contracts, role players on decent deals)
- young talent

All these can be achieved with the kind of contracts we have. Well, except maybe for picks. You can technically be $50M away from sniffing any form of cap space, and you can still have flexibility. The Knicks had it for years despite them being in luxury tax hell. I do agree you also have flexibility (can we just call it 'F' from now on?) when under the cap, but it's not a criteria.

I suggest you check the numbers. Miami has enough cap space to sign 3 max contracts in 2010 (or close, depending on the cap value).

1. We don't know the economy in 2010, which you hinted at.

2. Most likely, the majority of the FA's sign extensions in 2009 - Their 'F' might not be there. Also, it's unlikely they sign three max players. The deals will all be increasing dramatically which would put you in tax hell for years. The Lakers are a perfect example of this. The have a tremendous amount of talent, but they're paying for it. They were actively looking to shed salary despite them being the second best team in the NBA.

I also suggest you read more carefully. I said that Bosh can chose Miami and PLAY OUT HIS CURRENT CONTRACT then go to the Heat. In fact, him not requesting a trade makes it even more likely. So there's no trade, and the Heat lose no talent to get him.

That really wasn't what you said though. THIS is what you said.

Which is wrong. You basically say Miami would have more 'F' than we would after getting Bosh due to extra cap space. I wildly disagree with that assumption, as the Bulls would have much stronger trade pieces remaining on their team than Miami would. For one, it's no guarentee Miami will sign three MAX players. If Bosh goes to Bulls, that's one off the list right there. Besides, Bulls have much better general assets than Miami.

I believe it all boils down to this. You believe 'F' is at it's best when under the cap. I do not. I believe the right contracts can give you just as much, if not more, 'F' than having cap space. I point to the Ben Wallace signing as evidence.

Again I suggest you read carefully. I said Bosh would be more inclined to chose Miami because they'd still have flexibility AFTER he got there. AFTER. Not before, AFTER.

Except that assumption is inaccurate which is why I'm jumping at it. You don't know the cap at that time(as I believe you yourself mentioned earlier), and Miami would need to clean house completely. If they do that, they'd have three MAX players and zero role players. They'd also be in tax hell for the next six season, which is exactly why it's unrealistic. Bosh would know this going in, and he'd be knowing he'd be going to a team in financial trouble down the road.

Bosh being the informed smart player he is, he'd think about it, right ?!

Read above.

The Heat would have him, Wade, Cook, Beasley, Chalmers and James Jones. Haslem would be a FA, but he might sign with the Heat for even less money than he's making now. That's a decent core. And the Heat could be looking at an extra 5-10 million to throw at other FA's. And veteran FAs will be flocking to Miami with "discount" tags around their necks.

Again, there will be a Beasley issue. But disregarding that for a few seconds;

The Bulls, compared to that Miami team, is not a worse destination. Cook, James Jones, Chalmers? Bulls trump Miami with their overall talent on the roster. Even with a possible $5M - $10M extra (though, there goes your idea about three MAX players) that Heat team won't be close to matching the overall talent of the Bulls. Obviously, Wade is key here. But assuming Derrick takes that superstar leap next year, there is not a single scenario where I see someone choose Miami over Chicago.

Keep in mind that the ring chasers will come to Chicago also, if Bosh is acquired. Why wouldn't they? With an MLE and LLE available and possible contending team, we might even make uncle Jerry pay the tax. Not putting any eggs into that one, but it's not out of the realm of possibility given such a situation.

In any case we seem to disagree on the subject and each of us feels strongly on the subject so I say we end this for the moment. Time will tell who was right.

Tim will indeed tell you that I'm right. I agree.

dunkside.com

Liked Posts:
A few points:

1. Chicago can get Bosh only through trade, but Miami (or Cleveland) for that matter would be more likely to get him as a FA (S&T or direct signing) in 2010.

2. In order to get Bosh, the Bulls would have to give up some of their assets, while the Heat don't need to do that.

2. I see the contracts of Hinrich and Deng as bad contracts, not assets. This means teams won't be eager to give you lottery picks and/or stars for them. They might have 1-2 seasons ago (at least for Deng), but not anymore. In the end it seems that our whole discussion revolves around how we evaluate Deng and Hinrich, which is kinda sad, cause those 2 are the last Bulls I want to discuss right now. The sooner their bloated contracts are off the roster, the better.

3. I think you're underrating Miami's assets. They have 3 players on rookie contracts, of which one has star potential: Beasley, Chalmers, Cook. They can get Bosh while retaining those 3, while the Bulls would have to give at least one up (Tyrus). Beasley might not fit well with Bosh, but Chalmers and Cook fit perfectly with Wade and Bosh. Chalmers already is a pretty good PG (no Rose, but good enough) and Cook can fill in the defender/3p shooter role. Every title team that I can think of had one of those: Horry, Bowen, Posey.

4. Mikey Arison already proved that he's willing to pay for a winner. Uncle Jerry so far refused to do that. I guess he first wants to see the results and then, maybe, pay for them.

Morten Jensen wrote:
If they do that, they'd have three MAX players and zero role players. They'd also be in tax hell for the next six season, which is exactly why it's unrealistic.

3 max contracts with some young players/rookies as role players an not much depth ?
Isn't that exactly where Boston was 2 summers ago ? It worked out pretty well for them, didn't it ?! And the Heat would get much younger players, too.

Morten Jensen wrote:
The Bulls, compared to that Miami team, is not a worse destination. Cook, James Jones, Chalmers? Bulls trump Miami with their overall talent on the roster.

Wade says they don't.

Morten Jensen wrote:
Even with a possible $5M - $10M extra (though, there goes your idea about three MAX players) that Heat team won't be close to matching the overall talent of the Bulls.

5-10 after retaining Haslem, if they do.
Without Wade they have 14 million committed. If the cap is at 60 mil, that's 3 contracts starting at 15 mil/season. If they offer 2 contracts that start at around 18-20 (I don't know what's the max), they would still have 6-10 mil left to spend. And let's not forget they could trade Beasley, so in case of a S&T, they'd have 6-10 + the 5 mil Beasley makes, so that's 11-15 million. They could, for example, trade Beasley for Chandler and picks. This way they get their C too. (see, that's flexibility :D )

Morten Jensen wrote:
Tim will indeed tell you that I'm right.

I don't know who Tim is, but when Bosh ends up in Miami or Cleveland I'll make sure to let both of you know that "I TOLD YOU SO !!"

:D :laugh:

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
I know the post is about bosh, but I think Amare will be available too...and at a much cheaper/reduced price. How much more "valuable" is Bosh versus Amare? Is it Deng? Is it a couple first round picks? Is it Tyrus or Noah?

Seems to me that Phoenix may be in the mood to clean house this offseason, and while Bosh would be a dream come true, Amare may be the best and most realistic option.

Tyrus + Tim Thomas + Jerome James + 1st round pick for Amare

Rose / MLE
Kirk / Salmons / Nelson
Deng / Salmons
Amare / 1st round pick
Noah / Miller

Or...is it better to trade both firsts, Ty Thomas, Deng and then have to take back a crap contract (kapono) with Bosh? This is assuming theyd take this (maybe they wont, idk)

Rose / MLE
Kirk / Salmons
Salmons / Kapono
Bosh / TiT
Noah / Miller / James

Either option is an upgrade, but what do you think....is one better than the other?

dunkside.com

Liked Posts:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
I know the post is about bosh, but I think Amare will be available too...and at a much cheaper/reduced price. How much more "valuable" is Bosh versus Amare? Is it Deng? Is it a couple first round picks? Is it Tyrus or Noah?

Seems to me that Phoenix may be in the mood to clean house this offseason, and while Bosh would be a dream come true, Amare may be the best and most realistic option.

Tyrus + Tim Thomas + Jerome James + 1st round pick for Amare

Rose / MLE
Kirk / Salmons / Nelson
Deng / Salmons
Amare / 1st round pick
Noah / Miller

Or...is it better to trade both firsts, Ty Thomas, Deng and then have to take back a crap contract (kapono) with Bosh? This is assuming theyd take this (maybe they wont, idk)

Rose / MLE
Kirk / Salmons
Salmons / Kapono
Bosh / TiT
Noah / Miller / James

Either option is an upgrade, but what do you think....is one better than the other?

I'm sick of hearing about Amare. Amare is at home nursing his eye injury and resting his microfractured knee, while Tyrus is hitting clutch jumpers against the defending champions and playing some defense of his own to boot.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' ....

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
dunkside.com wrote:
A few points:

1. Chicago can get Bosh only through trade, but Miami (or Cleveland) for that matter would be more likely to get him as a FA (S&T or direct signing) in 2010.

That is if he wants to wait this long. It's likely Bosh would want that extension this summer. If that is the case, very few teams can match our re-building package.

2. In order to get Bosh, the Bulls would have to give up some of their assets, while the Heat don't need to do that.

Again, that's only under the assumption that Bosh wait it out. I doubt he does. He and Colangelo have been mentioning contract talk. So all signs point to Chris wanting a new deal asap.

2. I see the contracts of Hinrich and Deng as bad contracts, not assets. This means teams won't be eager to give you lottery picks and/or stars for them. They might have 1-2 seasons ago (at least for Deng), but not anymore. In the end it seems that our whole discussion revolves around how we evaluate Deng and Hinrich, which is kinda sad, cause those 2 are the last Bulls I want to discuss right now. The sooner their bloated contracts are off the roster, the better.

Since you caught my 'Tim' (which was supposed to be 'time', only I'm tired) I'll point out that this is your second 2. ;)

With all due respect. You see wrong. Maybe not with Deng, but with Hinrich. His contract is definitely movable and is an asset. A low turnover PG with a good handle, excellent defense and a decent shot for $26M on a declining deal? That's an asset.

3. I think you're underrating Miami's assets. They have 3 players on rookie contracts, of which one has star potential: Beasley, Chalmers, Cook. They can get Bosh while retaining those 3, while the Bulls would have to give at least one up (Tyrus). Beasley might not fit well with Bosh, but Chalmers and Cook fit perfectly with Wade and Bosh. Chalmers already is a pretty good PG (no Rose, but good enough) and Cook can fill in the defender/3p shooter role. Every title team that I can think of had one of those: Horry, Bowen, Posey.

1. How likely is it they move Beasley. Even for Bosh to some extend?
2. Chalmers and Cook? Dude. One is a shooter with no all-around game, the other needs to be set up for every single point.
3. I hate the argument of what other title teams did or had. Bulls had Michael Jordan, but that doesn't mean you need the greatest player in the world to win championships. Fact is, Miami's supporting cast isn't as good as the Bulls'. Far from it. You replace Hinrich with Cook or Chalmers, and you downgrade considerably.

4. Mikey Arison already proved that he's willing to pay for a winner. Uncle Jerry so far refused to do that. I guess he first wants to see the results and then, maybe, pay for them.

Agreed. Which is why I'm crossing my fingers here. That's all I can do when it comes to JR.

3 max contracts with some young players/rookies as role players an not much depth ?
Isn't that exactly where Boston was 2 summers ago ? It worked out pretty well for them, didn't it ?! And the Heat would get much younger players, too.

Boston had excellent depth. Eddie House, James Posey, Leon Powe, PJ Brown. Besides, after doing the math, it's impossible for Miami to sign three max players. A max deal is 30% of the cap, which means they'll occupy 90% of the total. With the players under contract at that point, you won't be able to afford it, unless you renounce Beasley (which they won't). The scenario you're lobbying for is more unlikely than Bosh coming here, IMO.

Wade says they don't.

Wade isn't a role player, which was what we were discussing.

5-10 after retaining Haslem, if they do.

They won't. He's guarenteed a MLE somewhere.

Without Wade they have 14 million committed. If the cap is at 60 mil, that's 3 contracts starting at 15 mil/season. If they offer 2 contracts that start at around 18-20 (I don't know what's the max), they would still have 6-10 mil left to spend. And let's not forget they could trade Beasley, so in case of a S&T, they'd have 6-10 + the 5 mil Beasley makes, so that's 11-15 million. They could, for example, trade Beasley for Chandler and picks. This way they get their C too. (see, that's flexibility :D )

The max is 30% of the total cap. So 30% of $60M would be $18M. 18 x 3 = $54M - Since the Heat have more than $6M on the cap by that time, it's impossible to sign 3 max players.

Also, you're being extremely optimistic in these scenarios. I find it amusing that you believe Miami would be capable of all this, but the Bulls would only have a 00,1% chance at Bosh.

You are underrating the Bulls and both their assets and flexibility. There's really nothing else I can say. I realise you believe this is some sort of second rate organiztion and the Heat is the almighty, but the cold facts are that we have more to offer all-around.

The upgrade from Rose to Wade would have to be worth the extra money Bosh can earn in a bigger market, a worse supporting cast (trust me) and less exposure. Considering Bosh has his finger on the NBA pulse, and has said Chicago is a target, I really doubt he'll select Miami over Chicago.

I don't know who Tim is, but when Bosh ends up in Miami or Cleveland I'll make sure to let both of you know that "I TOLD YOU SO !!"

It won't happen. Tim knows. He always does.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Chi_hawks I hear ya on the Amare thing, I think Tyrus, Tim, James, #16 gets us Amare and is a deal we should do. My only concern is this. Not counting the #26 pick after this trade we have 7 players under contract for next year and their total in salaries equals up to $62.5 million. That gives you only $5.5 million to fill out the rest of your roster if you want to stay under the luxury tax which should be at $68 million.

Rose,Hinrich,Salmons,Deng
Amare, Noah,Miller

Throw in the #26 pick and you still only have 8 players and must sign 5 more to get to the limit of 13 players and you would have only $4.5 million or so to get it done and stay under luxury tax. That means filling out roster with Anthony Roberson, Linton Johnson, DeMarcus Nelson types. Is it worth it?

Rose,Hinrich,Roberson
Salmons,Nelson
Deng, Young(#26), Johnson
Amare, vet minimum player(Novak?)
Noah,Miller,Gray

Something along these lines gets you right at the luxury tax limit of $68 million. Your top 8 would be outstanding but you better hope no one gets hurt for any long period of time.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
dunkside.com wrote:
I'm sick of hearing about Amare. Amare is at home nursing his eye injury and resting his microfractured knee, while Tyrus is hitting clutch jumpers against the defending champions and playing some defense of his own to boot.

So if you could trade tyrus for amare straight up (ignoring salary implications), you would not do it?

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
Basghetti80 wrote:
Chi_hawks I hear ya on the Amare thing, I think Tyrus, Tim, James, #16 gets us Amare and is a deal we should do. My only concern is this. Not counting the #26 pick after this trade we have 7 players under contract for next year and their total in salaries equals up to $62.5 million. That gives you only $5.5 million to fill out the rest of your roster if you want to stay under the luxury tax which should be at $68 million.

Rose,Hinrich,Salmons,Deng
Amare, Noah,Miller

Throw in the #26 pick and you still only have 8 players and must sign 5 more to get to the limit of 13 players and you would have only $4.5 million or so to get it done and stay under luxury tax. That means filling out roster with Anthony Roberson, Linton Johnson, DeMarcus Nelson types. Is it worth it?

Rose,Hinrich,Roberson
Salmons,Nelson
Deng, Young(#26), Johnson
Amare, vet minimum player(Novak?)
Noah,Miller,Gray

Something along these lines gets you right at the luxury tax limit of $68 million. Your top 8 would be outstanding but you better hope no one gets hurt for any long period of time.

The problem is that we would still have 20 mil per year wrapped up in deng and hinrich. Hinrich is a backup point, and Deng is not even our best small forward. As long as they are on this team, we will have serious issues signing another "max" type player. For that very reason, I bet Pax re-opens talks with Minny and Portland about trading kirk and deng.

dunkside.com

Liked Posts:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
dunkside.com wrote:

So if you could trade tyrus for amare straight up (ignoring salary implications), you would not do it?

NO !!

I know my answer is surprising so I'll give you a couple of minutes to recover from the shock :p

OK. Now, hear me out.
If your big man with a max contract doesn't play defense you won't win a title. Dirk couldn't lead his team to a title, Amare as well. And I doubt Bosh would, either.
I'd only offer a max contract to a very limited number of players, who I think can lead a team to a title: Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Howard, CP3. Kidd, Duncan and Shaq in their prime would make that list too. And soon Rose might be on that list. Each of them still needs at least another all star and a good support cast to win it all, but that is relatively easy to achieve. Far easier than getting together 3 superstars not too far removed from their prime, like Boston did.

So if I have to chose between paying max money to a guy who won't lead the team (not just in scoring, but set the tone in practice, lead by example, play hard on both ends of the floor and so on) and paying less than half of that for a guy who's decent/good at both ends of the floor, I'll pick the second guy.

Your superstar, your max money guy, has to be much more than just a good player. Look at AI - amazing player, tough, gives all on the court, yet his teams failed more often than they succeeded, and you can trace the reason to his lack of leadership.