Brady, Rodgers and Manning have given us a false premise.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Well if this happens and there's only 2 legit QB's coming out, which is another big if cause it seems like there could be 4 or 5 legit QB's coming out, but i would definitely do my best to trade up to get one of the top QB's and with a good draft this year and if some of the free agents we brought in work out then we should be in a better position to trade some picks to move up. This is all a lot of If's though.

I agree there are a lot of ifs. I would say it is likely that there are only two QBs that make it through next season without being completely picked apart. We see it every year. I think 4 or 5 legit QBs is certainly pretty fanciful though - that really is a lot of ifs.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
This. Rules changes have all but insured that QB/WR will remain much more important than RB. That's not to say a good RB won't help you, but you just need them to respect the run.

How many rings do Moss, TO, Antonio Brown, Chris Carter, ODB, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson have?

Do you know which WR's have rings? Julian Edelman, Doug Baldwin, Jordy Nelson, Santonio Holmes, Marques Colston...

Wide receivers might be the most overrated position in football.

mecha

Liked Posts:
How many rings do Moss, TO, Antonio Brown, Chris Carter, ODB, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson have?

Do you know which WR's have rings? Julian Edelman, Doug Baldwin, Jordy Nelson, Santonio Holmes, Marques Colston...

Wide receivers might be the most overrated position in football.

that's why I find it a little silly that Jerry Rice is hailed as the greatest player EVER. wide receiver is only as good as the guy throwing to them. Peyton Manning took complete nobodies and made them household names. same for Tom Brady. Rodgers has probably sunk a little bit since his guys started retiring or going elsewhere.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
that's why I find it a little silly that Jerry Rice is hailed as the greatest player EVER. wide receiver is only as good as the guy throwing to them. Peyton Manning took complete nobodies and made them household names. same for Tom Brady. Rodgers has probably sunk a little bit since his guys started retiring or going elsewhere.

First rounders.....Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, with Edgerrin James catching passes outta the back field were all "complete nobodies"

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

To call Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark etc nobodies I think is a little extreme.

I think it's fair to say though that none of those guys would have had the types of careers they had without Peyton.

The amount of flack Peyton has gotten on this post I think is ridiculous. If it wasn't for Brady (the GOAT), Peyton may have had 1 or 2 more Superbowls.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure everyone understands that we have the 3rd pick and might not be that high or high enough next year but with that schedule we landed we could be picking quite high next year. I also don't think anyone on this board think Glennon is our savior and knows he's just a stop gap until we do get our savior....hopefully. To try to predict what Glennon will be before he even plays a down for us and to say he's K.Orton is very much premature.

How often do we pick in the top five? It's not as easy as the browns make it look. We normally build a team good enough to be average so be ready to lose out on multiple drafts to get a qb next year cause that's what it will take to move up. Glennon has played before he is coming into a similar situation so I'm ready to be underwhelmed

mecha

Liked Posts:
To call Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark etc nobodies I think is a little extreme.

I think it's fair to say though that none of those guys would have had the types of careers they had without Peyton.

The amount of flack Peyton has gotten on this post I think is ridiculous. If it wasn't for Brady (the GOAT), Peyton may have had 1 or 2 more Superbowls.

well there was that mormon kid, and a few others after Marvin Harrison. :p I'm thinking well past SB41.

Brady did play with legit nobodies though, and ironically in the upset of forever had Randy Moss and Wes Welker at his disposal.

to the BEARZOMBIE's credit the Bears aren't ordinarily as bad as they've been the last couple seasons, they had a ton of 7-9 and 8-8 affairs between the Super Bowl and now. I don't think the Browns serve as a measuring stick for any purpose though given they've spent 3-4 1st round picks on QBs that aren't even with the team anymore, ie. not franchise guys. the Bears could miss like the Browns have, or maybe they get something good. the "next year" excuse is a lame deflection given that it's the same argument every single year about the talent available. for every Tim Tebow or Johnny Manziel there's a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott looming somewhere. granted, the latter 2 good examples weren't drafted in the 1st, but whatever.

it depends where the scouts place the floors and ceilings of the top guys relative to the rest that can be had later. if they're about even in terms of potential, then grab the stud defensive player at #3 and find your guy elsewhere later on. it can be done, one of my examples won a Super Bowl.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
How often do we pick in the top five? It's not as easy as the browns make it look. We normally build a team good enough to be average so be ready to lose out on multiple drafts to get a qb next year cause that's what it will take to move up. Glennon has played before he is coming into a similar situation so I'm ready to be underwhelmed

Then you can also ask when was the last time we had a GM come in and do a full on rebuild?? Next year will still be a part of the rebuild and we still have many positions with question marks so with so many new guys and not enough play makers we could find ourselves near the top again.

We could end up top 5 or top 15 next year and we could go back and forth all day with questions of why we could land in the top 5 and why we could land in the top 15, lets just hope that Pace finds his QB in this draft and then we won't have to worry about it.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
IF we take a QB early, there will be pressure to start him at the slightest hint of Glennon being anything less than Tom Brady.

I realize I am among the minority of guys that do not want a QB at #3, BUT if they did take one I hope the rookie would be given at least one year to learn, and Glennon be given the entire year to start.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Its not who you want at 3 but who Pace wants at 3 and that's why I have stated from the get go that he wont take a QB there.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Manning will probably go to the HOF based on reg. stats and the 2 SB's. But as we peel back the skin of the onion we find that his $$$ games record was mediocre ( reg. season...different story). And the SB's were given to him 1) by us via Grossman literally throwing the game away 2) the Denver "D" vs a ill-prepared Panther "O".

Brady/Rodger have actually at many times been all their teams have had. Kudos to Brady for making it to the SB without a real wr's corp.

Russell Wilson has already proven to be a elite Qb ( I read where he has the best Qb rating of any Qb in the first 3 yrs.). He's basically had garbage weapons to work with. Anyway....what we need is a Qb who brings the Brady-Wilson-Precott work ethic to the field and we'll be fine at the Qb position..... in today's game that favors the passing.

Warren Moon had a 3-7 playoff record. Russell Wilson threw away his second SB. Has worse than a 2-1 TD/INT ratio in the playoffs as does Manning. Both have winning Playoff records which is difficult to do. Unless you win the SB, your last game is a loss without an opportunity to balance the scales. If you look at last years Playoffs, you'll find that 6 teams had losing records vs 4 teams with winning records. .500 is not average here. It's actually above average.

I brought up Moon because I know you think he was great and I agree as I very much like all the QBs mentioned. I just hate the way you pull shit out of your ass to disparage one QB while ignoring that same circumstance for another. Constantly harping in Trubisky's INT in the bowl game but have never mentioned Wilson's game ending INT in the SB. I haven't mentioned it before because I don't make mountains out of molehills so you don't have to defend Wilson here. I'm just pointing to your inconsistency and multiple biases.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
It would be wise for the Bears to invest in a QB...picking one 3 also gives Pace a couple more years at his job.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the big thing here is consistency. A lot of the guys being discussed have essentially been with the same coaches for much of their career. When you have played in the same system for so long you are able to be cerebral because of having the same offensive system drilled in you.

The reason why a morning QBs fail it's because they keep having to learn new offenses or adjust to new coaches so they end up with a hodge podge of offensive systems bouncing around in their heads.

Guys like Brady and Rodgers have literally been with the same HC their entire lives.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IF we take a QB early, there will be pressure to start him at the slightest hint of Glennon being anything less than Tom Brady.

I realize I am among the minority of guys that do not want a QB at #3, BUT if they did take one I hope the rookie would be given at least one year to learn, and Glennon be given the entire year to start.

Does anyone on this board think that Glennon will last a full season? Come-on. The guy is the most immobile quarterback in the NFL and they have two of the shittiest OTS in the NFL.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the big thing here is consistency. A lot of the guys being discussed have essentially been with the same coaches for much of their career. When you have played in the same system for so long you are able to be cerebral because of having the same offensive system drilled in you.

The reason why a morning QBs fail it's because they keep having to learn new offenses or adjust to new coaches so they end up with a hodge podge of offensive systems bouncing around in their heads.

Guys like Brady and Rodgers have literally been with the same HC their entire lives.

No. Brady and Rodgers are way better than all of those QBs that failed. In no form, way or shape is their success in the NFL due to circumstances. On the Super Bowl side I would say that if Brady wasn't on New England all these years, he would not have seen so many Super Bowls, that is Belichick as well. By the way, Aaron Rodgers has been in the same amount of Super Bowls as the Bears since he joined the NFL.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

Everything always thinks theyre in the minority!

Glennon will start unless the new QB does something incredible. If we're 2-8 or something then the rookie will probably get some game time.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It would be wise for the Bears to invest in a QB...picking one 3 also gives Pace a couple more years at his job.

Pace isn't going anywhere whether he drafts a QB at 3 or not.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace isn't going anywhere whether he drafts a QB at 3 or not.

If the team is relatively healthy, Glennon is mediocre (while Watson and/or Trubisky have promising rookie campaigns) and they finish picking 14th next year without any kind of answer at QB, how much longer do you really think they'll give him a free reign to avoid making aggressive moves to fix the position?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the team is relatively healthy, Glennon is mediocre (while Watson and/or Trubisky have promising rookie campaigns) and they finish picking 14th next year without any kind of answer at QB, how much longer do you really think they'll give him a free reign to avoid making aggressive moves to fix the position?

That would be absolute worst case scenario... a nightmare.
Glennon is worth the shot as long as they hedge their bets with a pick.

IMO, If pace doesnt go after a QB, Glennon better be a pro bowl player or a ryan leaf level flop- 1st pick or the answer. In between is just more nonsense.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild