Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
What did you expect him to really get traded for? This is the cost by ownership demanding a team to make it to the play in. They could have traded him for more last season but ownership stopped it cause they wanted to compete. They are going to get bent over on every trade

That's the issue though. I get Giddey is 21 probably has some upside if he can figure out the shooting. But the alarming thing is them NOT trading Caruso at the deadline. There were reports that they could have had a first or multiple firsts in a deal and chose not to take it because they wanted to make a run at the play in.

That's alarming. Now, who is that on...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Let me preface this by saying the following: I have always been of the opinion that making a move just to make a move is dumb. I remember people (not here, I think it was more media) saying, "AK hasn't made a trade since 2021," and my thought was always, "So?" So, in a vacuum this trade seems to be AK making a deal just to make a deal.

Positives: You got younger. There's a 9 year difference between Giddey and Caruso. So that's something, I suppose. Giddey has good size and is a good passer.

Negatives: Caruso is a fan favorite. He's an everyman out there. Does the dirty work, and brings toughness. He was also a vet presence that brought leadership.

Unknown: I just don't watch enough Thunder games to have an educated opinion at this point. I said he's a good passer, but I'm just getting that from Twitter reactions.

So, as of June 21st as it currently stands I'm not a fan of this trade. I'd prefer to rather have an opinion in October on this, but unfortunately this FO hasn't shown a vision of what they actually want this team to look like. I'd still like to know what the plans are with DeMarr and Pat Williams. After they settle on those I think we'll have a better idea of how to view this trade. I'm also wondering if trading for Giddey will start to give clarity on what they think of Lonzo, because Giddey can run the point.

On to the draft, and if I hear Donovan Clingan or Zach Edey's name called for the Bulls then you guys might not see me anymore in this forum. I'm liking Cody Williams and Ron Holland at this point. I'm not sure if either will fall to 11, but those are the two I'm high on.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Let me preface this by saying the following: I have always been of the opinion that making a move just to make a move is dumb. I remember people (not here, I think it was more media) saying, "AK hasn't made a trade since 2021," and my thought was always, "So?" So, in a vacuum this trade seems to be AK making a deal just to make a deal.

Positives: You got younger. There's a 9 year difference between Giddey and Caruso. So that's something, I suppose. Giddey has good size and is a good passer.

Negatives: Caruso is a fan favorite. He's an everyman out there. Does the dirty work, and brings toughness. He was also a vet presence that brought leadership.

Unknown: I just don't watch enough Thunder games to have an educated opinion at this point. I said he's a good passer, but I'm just getting that from Twitter reactions.

So, as of June 21st as it currently stands I'm not a fan of this trade. I'd prefer to rather have an opinion in October on this, but unfortunately this FO hasn't shown a vision of what they actually want this team to look like. I'd still like to know what the plans are with DeMarr and Pat Williams. After they settle on those I think we'll have a better idea of how to view this trade. I'm also wondering if trading for Giddey will start to give clarity on what they think of Lonzo, because Giddey can run the point.

On to the draft, and if I hear Donovan Clingan or Zach Edey's name called for the Bulls then you guys might not see me anymore in this forum. I'm liking Cody Williams and Ron Holland at this point. I'm not sure if either will fall to 11, but those are the two I'm high on.
what is it that has you as of June 21st, not a fan of the trade?

my view is that Caruso was never going to be a bull past this coming season. So, trading him now and getting an asset in return just makes sense.

i do agree that this FO needs to lay out a vision for what they want this roster to look like. IMO, they should sign and trade Demar and get asset(s) for him as well. Same for LaVine.

i also agree with you on not wanting to hear either of those two names called for the bulls in the draft. i know i am biased, but i would love to see Dalton Knecht in a bulls uniform, but he likely doesnt last to where the bulls pick.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah, I'm gonna try to give this one a chance. When Giddey was drafted, I think they envisioned him playing a different role than he wound up playing. There's no way they could have foreseen getting Chet, and then Jalen Williams (who wound up really blossoming this year). That put Giddey as the 4th option, and playing out of position. Yeah, the NBA has largely become "positionless", but roles on teams are still a thing. Giddey couldn't do his role with the way the Thunder were constructed. Caruso fits that role much better for them, since all they need him to do is defend and knock down shots when the ball comes to him.

Giddey is almost assured to play a different role with the Bulls. Until we see what he looks like in that role, it's hard to say this is a terrible trade.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
what is it that has you as of June 21st, not a fan of the trade?
Well as I said, I think it was a move to make a move. We can go back to this past trade deadline and bemoan that they didn't move him then, but I don't think that's particularly worthwhile. I think you could have kept him and moved him in a deadline trade this year.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I am not a fan of this trade, but the points that stick out in my head are mostly as mentioned but here I go if I'm going to try to justify it any. From what I've read and seen they got no picks, which is horrible from a team with a billion of them. They passed up the opportunity to trade him at the deadline for at least one protected first it has been reported. Which makes this deal look bad as well. However, that pick likely would have been on a Josh Giddy type, with more risk. So maybe it's a wash.

Outside of that, as mentioned he's younger. A player that needs the ball in his hands which is what the Bulls need. Caruso one of my favorites is set to make 20M a year for 4 years in 6 months. If Giddy works out and we can sign him for less than that it's at least a salary win for a rebuilding team. Separately, Caruso is not a player for a rebuilding team. He'd be a great leader and general, but he's that all around defensive winning piece on a team competing in the playoffs and he's not on one. I read that Reinsdorf wouldn't let Alex go at the deadline because he was making them push for the playoffs last year. Which is just dumb.

Now, lastly, you're getting a kid with all-star potential 3-years into his career who is only 21. At 30 and his style of play we have already seen the (multiple) injury bug creep up on him, it's not known exactly how much tread he still has on his tires. This is the only real point that i could see making sense for this trade value, if the Bulls know something others don't, but even then you are still trading on his potential not his future value.
I won't don't even want to get into all the off court stuff with Giddy... I don't know enough about it but what I remember I hate. But... well he was cleared or something?

At the end of the day, I think the deal makes sense for both teams, OKC got the better side of it right now, we'll see where it's at in 6 months. It's going to take a lot of other moves to properly slot the pieces in place and this makes me really curious for how it changes their draft board for next week. Still have to dump Lavine. Do something with Williams. Do something with DeMar. Figure out where the commitment to Vuc fits into all this. Try not to screw up resigning Coby. Make sure Ayo keeps developing to get that next back. And somehow try not to fuck up all the young kids and rookies so that you can find some pieces there. Ohhh... and then their is Ball. What a mess of considerations. That's why AK get paid the big bucks I guess. I think the next move, whether it's the draft or another trade is actually going to be more critical than this trade. At the end of the day I think people don't hate the trade, they just hate the return, and if we would have gotten a draft pick or two with Giddy I think people would consider it even. For me, those picks are great if you can use them to trade up or something, but on their own the actuality of returning a key player going forward is not high, so I'm not too concerned in not getting one.

Also... we can't forget that we need to bring back the Big Cat or find his replacement... Gonna be a big offseason coming if they are finally allowed to go full rebuild.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Well as I said, I think it was a move to make a move. We can go back to this past trade deadline and bemoan that they didn't move him then, but I don't think that's particularly worthwhile. I think you could have kept him and moved him in a deadline trade this year.
i guess my question comes down to, when does it no longer seem like making a move to make a move to you? waiting to the trade deadline in this upcoming season? to me, that would seem like a desperation move because that becomes the last moment you can trade him without losing him for nothing or having to extend him

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
In that scenario you risk an injury prone player getting injured and getting nothing, and also at the deadline teams will probably view Caruso as a short term rental and you'll get short term rental value. This offseason was our last chance at getting any value imo.

Sure i wish we could have got a pick too, but i actually like this trade. The worst part is going to be Stacey's catchphrase for him. Someone on realgm suggested it would be "Giddey Up" and I'm cringing already.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
i guess my question comes down to, when does it no longer seem like making a move to make a move to you? waiting to the trade deadline in this upcoming season? to me, that would seem like a desperation move because that becomes the last moment you can trade him without losing him for nothing or having to extend him
It becomes not making a move for the sake of the move when it's clear what they are building towards. I just don't see how this moves your needle any closer to being a contending team.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It becomes not making a move for the sake of the move when it's clear what they are building towards. I just don't see how this moves your needle any closer to being a contending team.
It doesn’t. An organization that is known for developing players decided he wasn’t worth keeping to develop and found himself out of the rotation during the playoffs(he was fucking atrocious in May/June). His advanced metrics simply aren’t good. Hoping he develops into a stud but do you pay him before that happens(free agent next year from what I believe). Flush the entire roster and endure some shit years, because this team is still stuck in purgatory for the foreseeable future if they keep going this way.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
well, it moves it by giving you a building block as opposed to a 30 year old vet that is best served on an actual winning roster. its the first baby step. now, if AKME stands pat with every other roster spot, then yeah it doesnt move the needle much.

they gotta move demar and ZL IMO too

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
well, it moves it by giving you a building block as opposed to a 30 year old vet that is best served on an actual winning roster. its the first baby step. now, if AKME stands pat with every other roster spot, then yeah it doesnt move the needle much.

they gotta move demar and ZL IMO too

CBS Sports makes that same exact point that you just made.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Think this signals that the Bulls are going full rebuild. Expect a sign and trade of DeRozan soon. I don’t think they can move either LaVine or Vuc though. Donovan gets this season and then fired.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Think this signals that the Bulls are going full rebuild. Expect a sign and trade of DeRozan soon. I don’t think they can move either LaVine or Vuc though. Donovan gets this season and then fired.
Can’t the clippers and Philly sign DeRozan outright?

LaVine will be very difficult to trade. The entire league knows the Bulls are desperate.

50/50 on Vuc. His contract isn’t terrible and maybe some team offers a bad contract or 2 and a pick.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Sign and trade allows DeRozan to get more money, I believe.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Can’t the clippers and Philly sign DeRozan outright?

LaVine will be very difficult to trade. The entire league knows the Bulls are desperate.

50/50 on Vuc. His contract isn’t terrible and maybe some team offers a bad contract or 2 and a pick.
They will only get pennies on the dollar for LaVine right now, they probably get more if they wait until the trade deadline to move him. But he could be injured again or the team could have amassed too many wins to keep the pick protected(unless they lose 80% of the games afterwards).

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They will only get pennies on the dollar for LaVine right now, they probably get more if they wait until the trade deadline to move him. But he could be injured again or the team could have amassed too many wins to keep the pick protected(unless they lose 80% of the games afterwards).
Dragging things out when both parties want the split will have a negative effect. Not likely bulls going anywhere next year but still dont want that on the team starting the year.