BREAKING NEWS: Roquan Smith Wants OUT!

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
PAY HIM! He's 25 years old and arguably the best player at his position in the NFL!

Feeva

Liked Posts:
I really don't side with either side. It's sports. Nothing but entertainment. I don't care one way or the other about billionaires and millionaires arguing over more or less millions when it comes to contracts. These guys play a game for money. More money than most of us will ever make. I have no sympathy for either side.

From a pure football point of view, he's not a star in the league and not worth the money. If you want any sort of chance of becoming a competent NFL franchise, you don't overpay for players that don't play a premium position. There are a LOT of players in college this year that you could draft at Smith's position and get equal production. Unless he can learn to cover WRs and elite TEs, he's not worth what LBs were worth 20 years ago.
Glad you think we can just go draft another Roquan Smith. The Bears are deficient on talent as it is. This is the perfect time to pay him because we have no one to pay right now. I think he’s better suited to pay WLB anyway. He should bet on himself and end up getting more. But Poles is messing up. If you knew you didn’t value him like that. Should of shipped him away while he was cleaning house. It makes no sense to drag this out. He’s not gonna sign for what we’re offering so he’s either getting traded or getting what he wants anyway. It’s a distraction that’s not needed

Also the owners make these high ass prices for us to watch this entertainment so of course they’re gonna have the pay the guys providing the entertainment. So I know it’s just a game but a lot work goes into being a football player. They just don’t wake up and become superstars. They deserve every penny they get

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Earlier you went into all this nonsense about how he should honor his contract so no it was not clear before.

I didn't say he SHOULD honor his contract. I said I have no sympathy for him to make more money NOW because he is playing on a contract he signed, making far more money than we will ever make.

I then followed that up with he has the choice to show up and honor that contract or sit out, pay fines, and forfeit checks. That's it.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Glad you think we can just go draft another Roquan Smith. The Bears are deficient on talent as it is. This is the perfect time to pay him because we have no one to pay right now. I think he’s better suited to pay WLB anyway. He should bet on himself and end up getting more. But Poles is messing up. If you knew you didn’t value him like that. Should of shipped him away while he was cleaning house. It makes no sense to drag this out. He’s not gonna sign for what we’re offering so he’s either getting traded or getting what he wants anyway. It’s a distraction that’s not needed

Also the owners make these high ass prices for us to watch this entertainment so of course they’re gonna have the pay the guys providing the entertainment. So I know it’s just a game but a lot work goes into being a football player. They just don’t wake up and become superstars. They deserve every penny they get

I'm not saying they don't deserve it. Get what you can get. It's a crazy world. My point is that Bears shouldn't strap themselves in the future to pay a player that isn't great just because we don't have any great players that we need to pay right now. He's the "best" turd on a crap team. That doesn't mean you give him crazy money. Yes, I fully believe we could draft an equal replacement this year at a huge savings. Will Anderson would be a perfect fit.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I really don't side with either side. It's sports. Nothing but entertainment. I don't care one way or the other about billionaires and millionaires arguing over more or less millions when it comes to contracts. These guys play a game for money. More money than most of us will ever make. I have no sympathy for either side.

From a pure football point of view, he's not a star in the league and not worth the money. If you want any sort of chance of becoming a competent NFL franchise, you don't overpay for players that don't play a premium position. There are a LOT of players in college this year that you could draft at Smith's position and get equal production. Unless he can learn to cover WRs and elite TEs, he's not worth what LBs were worth 20 years ago.
Smith happens to be one of the best Coverage LBs in the NFL. Through 12 games last year he was the only LB (non DB) on the Top 5 list that held apposing qbs QBR around 50 on qualifying players with 40 or more targets thrown their way.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
One thing he hasn’t done, is spend money unlike fk face pace

The teardown was needed, as painful as it is. Had to get it out of the way unless they want to wallow around in mediocrity. I'm still concerned about how he approached the draft after that first pick. Although I do like the Reiff and Schofield signings to at least give Fields some protection. It just feels to me like they weren't concerned with building around Fields when that should be a top priority to help the decision to move forward. I'm not very big on the HC hire either. Everything feels "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" to me. I don't want another JA/Lovie situation.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
"I dOnT SiDe WiTh ThE pLaYeRz"

LOL. That is such a dumb argument. Don't side with the player making millions, side with the owner making billions off his back and not wanting to pay him his worth in the context of the league. Love when people act like all they do is play a game, like they aren't putting in a tremendous amount of actual work to be in the top 0.1% of physical shape, or like they aren't sacrificing their body for that money.

I would love to get paid millions to work out, eat right, and play a game for a living. My sympathy is zero.

They work very hard and deserve whatever anybody is willing to pay them. I just don't support either side and don't care about millionaires arguing with billionaires. Especially when you aren't a star player at your position and wanting to be paid like one. The Bears have a ton of holes and paying Smith because he's the "best" player on a bad team is foolish.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is anyone surprised?

He had difficulties with his first contract.

He’s negotiating for himself and fired a good agent.

Not sure why people are attacking the Bears? They usually take care of players well. But that doesn’t mean they need to cave into every players demands.

Anyways…. Stay or go I really don’t care. This team was bad with him and it’ll be bad without him. Nothing matters if Fields isn’t the guy. And he doesn’t play a position that helps Fields so again… who cares? I’d be much more upset if this was Mooney.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Better to pay guys an amount you feel comfortable paying them. In the end you will be judged by wins and losses.

Absolutely. Overpaying for players doesn't help you get more wins than losses. Especially when that player can be replaced.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I didn't say he SHOULD honor his contract. I said I have no sympathy for him to make more money NOW because he is playing on a contract he signed, making far more money than we will ever make.

I then followed that up with he has the choice to show up and honor that contract or sit out, pay fines, and forfeit checks. That's it.

He also has the option of trying to force a trade which is what he is doing.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Smith happens to be one of the best Coverage LBs in the NFL. Through 12 games last year he was the only LB (non DB) on the Top 5 list that held apposing qbs QBR around 50 on qualifying players with 40 or more targets thrown their way.

So let's overpay a LB that can cover RBs and average TEs while the rest of the league is going deep with elite TEs and superstar WRs. Unless Smith can cover those guys and produce a 50 QBR he's not worth the money.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
He also has the option of trying to force a trade which is what he is doing.

You can try to force a trade, but I wouldn't give in unless I get decent compensation. I think he's replaceable, but I wouldn't dump him for a 7th rounder.

If you don't get decent compensation, you make him stay around and either play or sit and forfeit checks. Either way this team is going nowhere and if he sits out, the Bears save money.

There really is no incentive to trade him for anything less than DECENT compensation. Anybody with a brain can see he is overplaying his hand and really shouldn't have any sympathy for him.