Briggs Coming Back?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why does everyone assume Peanut would be a good safety? He's a good corner because he gets his body in the way of bigger receivers and jams them at the line of scrimmage. He doesn't have the body to be a physical safety and while he's a good tackler at the LOS, I don't think he would be very good (or even want to) take on running backs going full speed in space.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Wow-really? After this shitshow the last two years your are still surprised that players were pissed about firing Lovie?

Looks to me as if they were right.
I dont understand the need to relate the two. Yes, the Trestman hire was so awful it cost Emery a second chance to get it right. I still think his drafting will pan out to be above average once all his drafts have 2+ years in the league. But firing Lovie was 100%the right thing to do. His success was based on superior talent on defense, which Angelo hadn't hit on in years. The Lovie version of defense with the aging personnel the Bears had would have only been marginally better than Tuckers. Just look at TB, they sucked on every level last year.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
We need to change the culture and get players with youth, intensity, and focus. Briggs goes 0 for 3 on that front. No thanks.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
A lot of you guys worshipped each and every move that Emery and Trestman made from the moment they came onboard. You guys got the Cutler contract you wanted, you got rid of Urlacher, you got rid of Hester, it was offense offense and more offense, and look where it got us. Suddenly you hated management and Cutler when we were 5-11, maybe a few games sooner.

Along comes John Fox who understands exactly what went on here. Briggs didn't fuck over this organization, it fucked over him by bringing in morons to run the team. Fox wants to "fix" what the Bears did to Urlacher. Many of you loved what the Bears did to Urlacher and still don't think anything was wrong. My guess is Fox will also want to fix things with Briggs.

You may not like it, you may not like me for that matter, but things are going to swing back to a place that many of you are not going to like. It sucked for me for the last few years, watching these guys ruin this team. My guess is you guys aren't going to like a lot of things in the months ahead. But, its for the benefit of the team.

Yep, the 'grass is greener on the other side' 'new era Trestman' people look really stupid right now....

Ironic that eyedoc singled out Briggs when the whole damn team quit. Briggs was just the the guy who said what everyone was thinking. NOBODY had respect for Trestman, Emery and the rest. Not even Tillman, who the OP wants to keep...lol....

Briggs was right.

BEARS

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Briggs and Marshall were two of the worst influences in the locker room last year. Neither of these guys should be back tbh.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yep, the 'grass is greener on the other side' 'new era Trestman' people look really stupid right now....

Ironic that eyedoc singled out Briggs when the whole damn team quit. Briggs was just the the guy who said what everyone was thinking. NOBODY had respect for Trestman, Emery and the rest. Not even Tillman, who the OP wants to keep...lol....

Briggs was right.

BEARS

A player's thoughts on the given coaching staff does not excuse them from acting like professionals. There were still plenty of guys out there playing injured and working their asses off while others decided to pack it in. Which group would you want your team composed of?

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I hope they bring Charles Tillman back for at least one more season. I'd bring back Tillman before Lance Briggs as well.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
A lot of you guys worshipped each and every move that Emery and Trestman made from the moment they came onboard. You guys got the Cutler contract you wanted, you got rid of Urlacher, you got rid of Hester, it was offense offense and more offense, and look where it got us. Suddenly you hated management and Cutler when we were 5-11, maybe a few games sooner.

Along comes John Fox who understands exactly what went on here. Briggs didn't fuck over this organization, it fucked over him by bringing in morons to run the team. Fox wants to "fix" what the Bears did to Urlacher. Many of you loved what the Bears did to Urlacher and still don't think anything was wrong. My guess is Fox will also want to fix things with Briggs.

You may not like it, you may not like me for that matter, but things are going to swing back to a place that many of you are not going to like. It sucked for me for the last few years, watching these guys ruin this team. My guess is you guys aren't going to like a lot of things in the months ahead. But, its for the benefit of the team.

You are practicing revisionist history. Did not Lance Briggs do a bunch of selfish 'me first' things?

Regardless of what happened with prior regimes/etc. Let's focus on the player and what he would bring to the table.

- The player in question will be 35 years old.

- The player in question came back from an injury during the 2013 season slow and out of shape.

- The player in question arrived at training camp in 2014 overweight and out of shape.

- The player in question was overweight, slow and out of shape the entire season.

- The player in question made little to no impact on the field during the 2014 season.

- The player in question had a phantom injury that no one can really quantify that kept him out of multiple games during the 2014 season.

- The player in question finished the 2014 on IR.

- The player in question played 8 games in 2014 and had 24 tackles. He was on pace for 48. That is 35 tackles below his career average. This would rank him approximately #58 for all LB in the NFL.

And no one 'got rid' of Brian Urlacher. He, like Briggs was a shell of his former self, 35 years old and coming off of two sub par seasons with season ending injuries.

And no one 'got rid' of Devin Hester. He was a one trick pony who had lost much of his effectiveness who commanded more money than the Bears could afford for a return guy. He was a luxury they could not afford in a salary cap era with so many other, more critical areas to fix. Devin Hester is someone that Falcons fans would like to see go to free up needed salary cap money to fix more critical areas of their underproducing team.

And no, they would not be 'getting rid of' Lance Briggs.

All 3 players were aging free agents. Briggs and Urlacher in particular, are/were 35 years old. LBs don't play in today's NFL after the age of 35. You'll probably bring up Ray Lewis. Ray Lewis retired at 37. When he did, he was a slow ineffective shadow of his former self. He effectively served as team cheerleader. That said, he's also arguably one of the greatest ever to play his position.

Stop living in the past. Lance Briggs was a good player in an era where the Bears had a chance to do something good and they didn't. That era is over. He's a free agent. No other team in the NFL will want him - an out of shape, oft injured, ineffective 35 year old player. The Bears shouldn't either.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
A player's thoughts on the given coaching staff does not excuse them from acting like professionals. There were still plenty of guys out there playing injured and working their asses off while others decided to pack it in. Which group would you want your team composed of?

I understand what you're saying, but I am saying it permeated the entire locker room. Cutler defenders slurp all over his 'don't care' attitude, so why is Briggs being singled out?

BEARS

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
"In my opinion, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to (bring Briggs back to the Bears)," Briggs said on Monday's edition of SportsTalk Live. "Obviously, in the Draft, that's probably going to be one of the focal points is getting a linebacker, (but) a guy who's been around, a guy who understands football, who's a great football player and can play at a high level still, to me, is enticing. A guy like John Fox — love the hire — and hopefully I get a call and I get an opportunity to come back and play in Chicago, where I'm supposed to be."

I personally hope Briggs gets his wish. I know many here don't like him. I still believe the problem was the management.

Bring him back Fox!

I have no problem bringing back Briggs or Peanut if the contracts are right.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
He became an unmotivated because he was playing for three stooges - Emery, Trestman, Tucker. He will be once again the person and player that he is for Fox and Fangio, that is why.

Hey, I don't know if he will be coming back, but I do think it would be a huge positive.

You are aware that he'll be 35 years old right?

Apparently Fangio and Fox have the Google Map of the whereabouts of the Fountain of Youth?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Maybe having a new coach thats a defensive guy would invigorate Briggs..He seemed to do great under Lovie who was of the same mindset...He only soured under Trestman..And lets face it,99% of the team did as well... I'd give him a 1 year deal and see how it goes

Are you familiar with the concept of human beings aging?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I heard the same exact shit over and over again last year with Hester, nobody will pay him more than the league minimum. A couple of weeks later he signs for 3-4 million a year. Not saying that Atlanta didn't overpay, but the message board posters aren't very good at projecting these contracts. How many games did Cutler play out of the prior 30 games and we made him the highest paid QB in the NFL, and he sucks.

I am sure that John Fox has great admiration and respect for the play of Briggs.

Yes, and that worked out wonderfully for Atlanta.

Christ almighty, do any of you people think before you type shit?

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
let me ask you this, if the excuse is that he became unmotivated because he was playing for bad bosses, why didn't Peanut Tillman fly out to LA to open up a barbecue joint or run his mouth about ignoring teammates during heated discussions or coaches during team meetings?

Because Briggs is a bitch, and Peanut is not. End of story. No more little bitches on our team please

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I understand what you're saying, but I am saying it permeated the entire locker room. Cutler defenders slurp all over his 'don't care' attitude, so why is Briggs being singled out?

BEARS

When a guy who was a captain on the D and a veteran that was expected to help lead the team admits to sleeping through meetings I'm pretty sure it's he that singled himself out at that point. And this just happens to be a thread about Briggs, so we're discussing Briggs. His past shitty attitude doesn't particularly help his case either.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace is the GM. He makes the personnel decisions.

I'm sure a guy who has attained a GM position so early in his life absolutely gets the value of signing a roster complete with 35 year old players.

Especially ones that, over the last couple of seasons, have been overweight, out of shape, slow and hurt.

The 'Football Stupid' is strong in this thread.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I don't mind him back for the minimum. I don't think he took it seriously the last two years. Tillman I would sign to a minimum deal with a bonus.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont understand the need to relate the two. Yes, the Trestman hire was so awful it cost Emery a second chance to get it right. I still think his drafting will pan out to be above average once all his drafts have 2+ years in the league. But firing Lovie was 100%the right thing to do. His success was based on superior talent on defense, which Angelo hadn't hit on in years. The Lovie version of defense with the aging personnel the Bears had would have only been marginally better than Tuckers. Just look at TB, they sucked on every level last year.

Lovies first year with the Bears wasnt record setting either..New coach usually takes a year or two

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Cutler doesn't have a 'don't care' attitude, thats a meme.

can you not tell the difference between a meme and real life?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Why do you talk as if you know what moves are coming?