Brisker

msadows

Liked Posts:
Cost controlled rookie vs paying more money to a guy who’s always hurt.

Not all 2nd round picks are world beaters. Most aren’t.

He's missed 2 games each of his first two years.

Thats not constantly hurt, most nfl players do not play a full 17

msadows

Liked Posts:
Nah I would not extend Brisker unless ir is dirt cheap. He is good not great and the concussions are a concern. Safety is also fairly cheap in FA to get someone of comparable ability and just draft a S on day 3.

True I also love wasting 2nd round picks on rentals

I dont care about paying brisker just a dumb ass idea to draft guys for only 4 years and let them walk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I dont care about paying brisker just a dumb ass idea to draft guys for only 4 years and let them walk

Not as dumb as extending a guy and then having him retire due to a history of concussions you knew about. You can make decisions based in logic or you can make decisions based on some sentimental notion of not wasting draft picks.

There are a few good safeties that are FA next year such as Holland, Hufanga, Reid, Moerig, etc.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He's missed 2 games each of his first two years.

Thats not constantly hurt, most nfl players do not play a full 17

Seems like he’s constantly getting banged up during the games as well. Not sure how that factors into missed games.

Either way, he’d have to come at a good price. He’s a solid yet unspectacular safety and you have to ask yourself a simple question: Do you trust you can rely on him to be healthy or is he going to be constantly dinged up and miss games, and/or not be full strength for games?

Personally, I believe the ladder is true. Although, there’s still plenty of time before poles has to make that decision.

Enasic

Liked Posts:

Dude…what do you think, all 2nd round picks earn 2nd contracts? Most of them bust or end up not being as good as their team hoped. You don’t have to extend a guy just because you drafted them in the 2nd round. Most 2nd round picks in the NFL are “rentals.” Hell, a large percentage of 1st round picks are too.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Dude…what do you think, all 2nd round picks earn 2nd contracts? Most of them bust or end up not being as good as their team hoped. You don’t have to extend a guy just because you drafted them in the 2nd round. Most 2nd round picks in the NFL are “rentals.” Hell, a large percentage of 1st round picks are too.

Yea, most who play well like brisker do earn 2nd contracts, otherwise its a waste of a 2nd round pick

msadows

Liked Posts:
Not as dumb as extending a guy and then having him retire due to a history of concussions you knew about. You can make decisions based in logic or you can make decisions based on some sentimental notion of not wasting draft picks.

There are a few good safeties that are FA next year such as Holland, Hufanga, Reid, Moerig, etc.

So you wont have to pay him anyways cause he retired. Sounds good to me.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Gordon has missed more time than brisker.

Why is he getting a 2nd contract then? lol

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Yea, most who play well like brisker do earn 2nd contracts, otherwise its a waste of a 2nd round pick

He’ll earn a 2nd contract somewhere. You have to weigh a lot of things when handing out extensions. Getting solid play from a 2nd rounder over 4 years at a cheap price isn’t a wasted pick either. It’s not a home run, but I’d call it a double.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He’ll earn a 2nd contract somewhere. You have to weigh a lot of things when handing out extensions. Getting solid play from a 2nd rounder over 4 years at a cheap price isn’t a wasted pick either. It’s not a home run, but I’d call it a double.

Yea its a wasted pick, he's finally playing well and you let him walk. Thats a waste of player development and draft picks.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Yea its a wasted pick, he's finally playing well and you let him walk. Thats a waste of player development and draft picks.

He’s playing fine but he’s already missing action. Considering his play style, I’m pretty sure this will pop up again. Or some other injury. Again, this could change over the next 2 years but as of now, I would not extend him. If he continues to grow and play well and is available on the field over the next 2 years, then I may change my mind. Currently, I think he’s a bit overrated. Solid player, but replaceable

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you wont have to pay him anyways cause he retired. Sounds good to me.

No if he retires due to injury then you still owe him guaranteed money as that is usually guaranteed for injury.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Who said he is and concusssions are a bigger issue than other injuries? Thought this point would be obvious.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He’s playing fine but he’s already missing action. Considering his play style, I’m pretty sure this will pop up again. Or some other injury. Again, this could change over the next 2 years but as of now, I would not extend him. If he continues to grow and play well and is available on the field over the next 2 years, then I may change my mind. Currently, I think he’s a bit overrated. Solid player, but replaceable

More like year and a half as he is a free agent after next year. I suspect they do the same as they did with Jenkins and say no extension talks until midseason next year.

GoDJtop10

Liked Posts:
If Poles won’t give up on a bust like VJJ because he’s one of his prized draft picks, why would anyone believe that Poles would give up on a young star Safety that is also one of his prized draft picks?

Brisker and Gordon will be extended by the end of this upcoming offseason. The person that I’m worried about is Stevenson the following offseason, because he will command serious money if he continues on his current trajectory. Stevenson’s talent is not a big drop off from Johnson, but I’m not sure there will be enough DB-designated money remaining. Also, Dexter will be eligible for an extension that same offseason.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
If Poles won’t give up on a bust like VJJ because he’s one of his prized draft picks, why would anyone believe that Poles would give up on a young star Safety that is also one of his prized draft picks?

Brisker and Gordon will be extended by the end of this upcoming offseason. The person that I’m worried about is Stevenson the following offseason, because he will command serious money if he continues on his current trajectory. Stevenson’s talent is not a big drop off from Johnson, but I’m not sure there will be enough DB-designated money remaining. Also, Dexter will be eligible for an extension that same offseason.

Star safety? 🤔

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Jones hasn't been om the active roster since week 2. I think he's been pretty much given up on.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

if you do let him go then maybe you can get one of those elusive comp picks.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
You don't dish out contracts for what a player did, you dish it out for what they will do.

And he'll have given 4 years of starting play, so it's not a waste of a 2nd round pick at all. You sound silly.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Gordon is an impact player. Brisker is not. He’s good not great. I’d risk extending Gordon over brisker in a heartbeat.