Bryant or Gray

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Assuming that the Astros would take Appel at #1, would you rather see the Cubs take Jonathan Gray or Kris Bryant?

I'd be happy with either one, but I'd prefer Bryant to be honest. Of course, it would be nice to have pitcher who can hit 100 mph with late movement and a lot of sink of his pitches. But with all pitchers there is more risk involved, especially a guy who is constantly throwing 100 on the gun.

I know Bryant comes from a smaller D1 school(U of San Diego) but here are his numbers against 2 good teams

3 games vs #6 Oregon St: 5-12, 5R, 5RBI, 3BB, 2HR
1 game vs #9 Cal St. Fullerton: 2-2, 2R, 4RBI, 2BB, 2HR

Those are the really good teams he has faced. I didnt go through all the games against mid-pack teams but I did notice he had a 3 HR games against #52 BYU, and a 2-4, 1HR game against #41 Seton Hall.

They start playing tournament games so hopefully we can get a larger sample against better teams.

Thoughts?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want Gray or Appel and no one else. Finding true aces are harder and harder these day. These guys have that potential. You dont pass them up!

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I want Gray or Appel and no one else. Finding true aces are harder and harder these day. These guys have that potential. You dont pass them up!

Silence. You had then better hope for the big tanking after the deadline. The Cubs will not be the only ones trying to get the "prize".

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Assuming that the Astros would take Appel at #1, would you rather see the Cubs take Jonathan Gray or Kris Bryant?

I'd be happy with either one, but I'd prefer Bryant to be honest. Of course, it would be nice to have pitcher who can hit 100 mph with late movement and a lot of sink of his pitches. But with all pitchers there is more risk involved, especially a guy who is constantly throwing 100 on the gun.

I know Bryant comes from a smaller D1 school(U of San Diego) but here are his numbers against 2 good teams

3 games vs #6 Oregon St: 5-12, 5R, 5RBI, 3BB, 2HR
1 game vs #9 Cal St. Fullerton: 2-2, 2R, 4RBI, 2BB, 2HR

Those are the really good teams he has faced. I didnt go through all the games against mid-pack teams but I did notice he had a 3 HR games against #52 BYU, and a 2-4, 1HR game against #41 Seton Hall.

They start playing tournament games so hopefully we can get a larger sample against better teams.

Thoughts?

Its thinking like this that dooms a franchise for years.

You have two players that much better then everybody else right now atm. You take one of them. BPA when you have a pick that high. And the whole injury concern is worthless on account of anybody can get injured.

Breast

CSF77

Liked Posts:
First I doubt the Astros will take Appel. They had him last year and passed. Why would they turn around and take him? But just for argument sake. My answer is the one that takes the least amount of time to get to the Cubs. When you are planning on building via the draft you need to see results at the major league level or the attendance is going to suffer. They have 49 more picks to fill the tank in the system with filler. 1st pick needs to be quick in their situation. After a few years where the farm quality is better then pick the best player. The sense of urgency is not there because their methods have been proving to work. So the pick needs to have some hype value. Appel has that. Grey with his recent hype maybe. Bryant filled a need but when would he be on the team? 2016? That need could be closed by then. Teams always need pitching.

patg006

Liked Posts:
If Appel is gone, it really doesnt matter what I think. This team needs pitching. But they will take Bryant.......I'll be incredibly surprised if they go Gray over Bryant......McLeod and his staff got boners for Bryant.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i think if they dont get appel, they grab bryant for 3B and then go after pitchers in the 2nd and 3rd round..

im hoping they start making moves for players that are major league ready or close to ( by mid season 2014 ) with their first and or 2nd pick..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Bryant filled a need but when would he be on the team? 2016? That need could be closed by then.

not knit pickn your 1 yr difference but most experts ticket bryant for 2015 ETA, with a chance to jump by july. AUG 2014 if he show a fast paced advancement through the system...

i think the cubs. If they draft him, im sure they will try and push his rise thru the system and hope to get him going in AA by the start of 2014 and then AAA by june, hoping he ready to go by july / aug. 2014..

though he will be 21 at the start of 2014, i think most experts see him in a same mode as bryce harper being able to make a quick jump..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Clint Frazier has been gaining some steam. Maybe a dark horse #1

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
First I doubt the Astros will take Appel. They had him last year and passed. Why would they turn around and take him? But just for argument sake. My answer is the one that takes the least amount of time to get to the Cubs. When you are planning on building via the draft you need to see results at the major league level or the attendance is going to suffer. They have 49 more picks to fill the tank in the system with filler. 1st pick needs to be quick in their situation. After a few years where the farm quality is better then pick the best player. The sense of urgency is not there because their methods have been proving to work. So the pick needs to have some hype value. Appel has that. Grey with his recent hype maybe. Bryant filled a need but when would he be on the team? 2016? That need could be closed by then. Teams always need pitching.

There's a reason that the Astros didn't take Appel and that seven other teams passed on him. That is because he was a tough guy to sign. He was going to demand top dollar and a lot of teams weren't willing to do that. Being a junior, he had leverage. Now that he is a senior, he obviously will be easier to sign. I still think the Astros take him at #1

And I think 2016 is a little long. He is a junior so he is a little more developed and wouldnt take as long to get him to the majors as it would for Baez, Almora, etc.
Bryant probably wont be that hard to sign, despite being a junior because his numbers are so high right now that has him at top of draft boards. Look at what happened to Matt Barkley. Bryant will sign with whoever drafts him.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Gray > Bryant IMO, but Brant does have some sick power and would be exciting nevertheless.

And why would Houston pass last year then draft him this year? Probably signability concerns last year, now as a Senior he has less leverage.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gray has to be the choice. I've thought I read that Bryant is unlikely to stick at 3B. If Bryant can't handle the hot corner than I don't think it is even close between the two, but I haven't been watching these guys.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On the question: Grey. Onto Bryant: 1st year if he signs and doesn't drag it out. Boise. Year 2 if advanced Daytona. Most anyone can expect.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
not knit pickn your 1 yr difference but most experts ticket bryant for 2015 ETA, with a chance to jump by july. AUG 2014 if he show a fast paced advancement through the system...

i think the cubs. If they draft him, im sure they will try and push his rise thru the system and hope to get him going in AA by the start of 2014 and then AAA by june, hoping he ready to go by july / aug. 2014..

though he will be 21 at the start of 2014, i think most experts see him in a same mode as bryce harper being able to make a quick jump..

They could hold Baez back a year at Daytona to adjust to 3rd and he would be ready at that point. To be honest Bryant makes as much sense as them picking Almora over a top arm.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
the only reason why i think they would grab bryant if Appel is gone is because i think they could be looking at filling a positional need (3B ) that they themselves dont have anyone ready to jump in as of now ( baez is a future possibility ) and there really noone available VIA FA..

i read gray or anyone else besides Appel may not be ready til at least 2015 or so..

so, i just feel they go for the closer MLB ready player in bryant that will also fill in a positional need and be content with a rotation with samardzija, resign garza, wood, and look via FA for other starters along with an eye on Arodys Vizcaino and draft best available pitchers in 2nd RD and above