Bryant or Gray

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What scares me about Bryant is that he's not projecting to stay at third. That's our primary position need and if we're drafting another guy who'll end up having to move, I look at it as wasted value when you have a future ace sitting there in either Appel or Gray. For a team building a foundation, Bryant simply isn't as valuable if he goes from a third baseman with potential 75-power and plus hitting to an outfielder where his skill set takes a dip because of where he's playing.

Everybody knows pitching is king in the MLB. Top tier rotations are next to impossible to build with how expensive quality free agent pitching is, so if you've got the chance to control a guy like Appel or Gray for 6+ seasons, you absolutely have to do that. Sure, Bryant could become a 35-homer guy, but Gray could end up being the true ace the Cubs haven't had since Mark Prior faded away. Obviously, I'd take Appel if Houston somehow passes on him. But Gray is one Hell of a consolation prize.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Because you probably have no clue who anyone else is

Well yeah, why should anyone give a serious consideration to a guy who more than likely won't even make the MLB level.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baseball America on the 20-80 scale gave Gray's fastball an 80, Bryant's power, and there was one other guy who had an 80 at something else but isn't a top 5 pick (think it was in baserunning, so not as important). I know it is just a number, but it is very rare praise and either has stud-potential.

I will have to look for the exact tweet but Jim Callis from BA stated that Gray's fastball is an 80 pitch and Appel's is a 70.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Because you probably have no clue who anyone else is

That should probably tell you something......oh--I dont know, Appel is the best player 2 years running now. And the only "knock" on him is that :fap: like you see him and scream "oh no, hes too expensive! Stay away!" Well quick tip sally, good players cost money......the best player in the draft costs money.

But I keep forgetting who I'm trying to argue with.....

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
images

:gtfo:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Appel is more polished and the safer pick to make it at the top of the rotation. Gray probably has more of a ceiling. Granted, no that much more but that fastball is what give him the edge on ceiling.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Is it going to hurt the Cubs at all knowing that Mark Appel grew up in Houston and was an Astro's fan? :nervous: