Bryant or Gray

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have read pretty mcuh everywhere that Appel would be ready for this year if needed and Gray wouldnt be that much longer behind him. The only reason I read people think 2015 is because the team that drafted them are going to be bad so why rush them. If the team is competing, Appel or Gray would be up by 2014.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
the only reason why i think they would grab bryant if Appel is gone is because i think they could be looking at filling a positional need (3B ) that they themselves dont have anyone ready to jump in as of now ( baez is a future possibility ) and there really noone available VIA FA..

i read gray or anyone else besides Appel may not be ready til at least 2015 or so..

so, i just feel they go for the closer MLB ready player in bryant that will also fill in a positional need and be content with a rotation with samardzija, resign garza, wood, and look via FA for other starters along with an eye on Arodys Vizcaino and draft best available pitchers in 2nd RD and above

I wouldn't concider Viz until he is pitching live. As far as we know he may not be the same guy post recovery. Pointless to toss his name out there at this point.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I have read pretty mcuh everywhere that Appel would be ready for this year if needed and Gray wouldnt be that much longer behind him. The only reason I read people think 2015 is because the team that drafted them are going to be bad so why rush them. If the team is competing, Appel or Gray would be up by 2014.

Cubs have the resources to compete in 2014. It would make sense to get Appel or Grey. Unless they are just looking for trade assets for down the road.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Based upon the production the Cubs have been able to get out of average to above pitchers over the past half dozen years (Dempster, Wood, Harden, Maholm & Lilly), I am starting to lean towards Bryant a little more.

Appel has the "safe pick" tag attached to him and scouts suggest that will likely develop into a solid #2 SP. He has 2 plus pitches (Fastball & Slurve), a solid changeup and is developing a cutter. Based upon his refinement and arsenal, he could be up with the Cubs in mid 2014 without injury or hiccup in progression. http://mlbdraftcountdown.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/2013-scouting-report-mark-appel-rhp-stanford/

Jonathan Gray has similar hype compared to Strasburg from a few years ago based upon his ability to pump up the fastball, although not quite to Strasburg's level. Apparently has solid secondary pitch (slider), and has a changeup that needs work. http://baseballprospectnation.com/2013/04/23/scouting-report-jonathan-gray-rhp/
It would likely take him a couple years to sharpen his 3rd pitch, whether he sticks to the changeup or tries picking up a cutter from Wood.

There are 2 things that I keep going back to:
1 - Young Pitchers tend to suffer from injury issues at a much higher rate than position players (There is a laundry list of 1st round pitchers that busted out due to injury).
2 - A lot of the things that are being said about Bryant remind me of similar things said about Ryan Braun. Here are the stats to compare for yourselves:
http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2012-2013/teamcume.html
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/stats.asp?Y=2005&T=20182

Bryant has 28 HR this year in 191 AB. Let me repeat that, Bryant has 28HR in 191 AB. He also has good plate discipline based upon his 55 BB (18 Intentional) to 35 K.

Bryant would likely start at A or A+ this year. He could start off at AA in 2014. If he progression matches is talent, he could be in AAA by July 2014 and possibly be a September call-up in 2014. He could theoretically be up by the start of 2015 if he follows this progression.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
They could hold Baez back a year at Daytona to adjust to 3rd and he would be ready at that point. To be honest Bryant makes as much sense as them picking Almora over a top arm.

No need to hold him back a year if the bat is ready to move on, short to third is a conversion that can be made at higher levels.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Baseball America on the 20-80 scale gave Gray's fastball an 80, Bryant's power, and there was one other guy who had an 80 at something else but isn't a top 5 pick (think it was in baserunning, so not as important). I know it is just a number, but it is very rare praise and either has stud-potential.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
This just in
"Ridiculous. MT @SoCal_CBDaily: KRIS BRYANT! #29! 2-run moonshot over the extra tall wall 400 feet in dead CF here at Riverside. USD 5, UCR 2"

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
images

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ill repeat my sentiments. It is a lot harder to lock down a true ace over a hitter. I want Gray or Appel or Theo and Hoyer gave scissor themselves for all I give a shit.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
On the question: Grey. Onto Bryant: 1st year if he signs and doesn't drag it out. Boise. Year 2 if advanced Daytona. Most anyone can expect.

Not true at all

patg006

Liked Posts:
Ill repeat my sentiments. It is a lot harder to lock down a true ace over a hitter. I want Gray or Appel or Theo and Hoyer gave scissor themselves for all I give a shit.

Oh Scissor-me-timbers!

:fap::fap::fap:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Exactly. The Cubs need pitching and in the worst way. I could care less if Bryant hit one to the moon.

There are two players to take and they are both pitchers, Appel or Gray. Either way, one of them has to be wearing a Cubs uniform next year.

Again, maybe they can get lucky with Dozier or Jagielo in the 2nd round if they need a third basemen. They are both big and power hitters too.

It would start to round out in the farm if they had "Chunk", Shoulders, Baez, Soler, Almora, Underwood, Amaya, Johnson, Viscaino, Villanueva, Szczur, Watkins, Appel/Gray, Dozier/Jagielo, B-Jax, Alcantara, and others.

I guess I don't have to mention that the Cubs will be getting a good pick next year too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not true at all

Really? Jackson started in Daytona. Gyroko on the Pads (drafted and developed by Hoyer's crew). 3 years in the system. You can not expect more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Really? Jackson started in Daytona. Gyroko on the Pads (drafted and developed by Hoyer's crew). 3 years in the system. You can not expect more.

Rule of thumb 5 years for a HS 3 years for a college player. There are always exceptions but this is what we should expect for and draft pick.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Depends how developed the player is. Zunino started the year in AAA

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I want Appel and if the Cubs don't get him I really don't give a shit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Depends how developed the player is. Zunino started the year in AAA

Again there are always exceptions.

I would expect a progression like Soler got. If he signs right away vs playing the hold out game for more cash.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Bryant reminds me of Braun. Braun was in drafted in June 2005 and was in Milwaukee May 25, 2007. If Bryant is drafted by the Cubs, I could see him going to A or A+ by the end of this year, start AA in 2014, end 2014 in AAA (might be a contractual callup in September 2014). If he follows that progression, he could be up with the Cubs early 2015.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Out of the 3 (Appel, Gray & Bryant); Appel would likely make the majors 1st, Bryant next and then Gray. Appel has control of 4 pitches and would need the least amount of time. Gray has 2 plus pitches, but needs a lot of work on his changeup or developing another 3rd pitch. Gray could get a callup before Bryant if he came through the bullpen; but the Cubs don't have a real track record of doing this over the past 10 years outside of Samardzija. Of coarse, the Cubs track record of developing any Starters with #1 stuff has been horrendous for the past 10-15 years (Do I need to say their names or can I just say Dusty Baker's puppets).