Building around Fields = Ensuring Success for Next QB

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
You grab the guys who are available at the time you are drafting, passing up on a QB you think can be a franchise guy is beyond stupid.

Now if you don't think any of the top guys in this class are franchise guys then sure.. but to suggest that you should skip the QB and what hope we get another #1 overall pic next year? Really?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You grab the guys who are available at the time you are drafting, passing up on a QB you think can be a franchise guy is beyond stupid.

Now if you don't think any of the top guys in this class are franchise guys then sure.. but to suggest that you should skip the QB and what hope we get another #1 overall pic next year? Really?
Is anyone even doing what you're reallying? about?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think you can call Wentz a hit. He looked good to start, then got hurt and Nick Foles of all people took that team to a superbowl win. From that point forward, Wentz was a bust. It would be the same for a guy like RG3 who had a killer rookie year then pretty much sucked thereafter.
Disagree. He was having a good career until his back injury. I was on the fence with that one, in feel like the injury derailed him, not lack of talent.

He also tore his knee up pretty good before that. Guy could not get ahead of injuries.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Here's one way to look at it: would Brock Purdy still be player of the month on this team, or is he really more of a game manager excelling because of surrounding weapons, scheme, coaching etc.?

Honestly I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I'm pretty certain Poles' mind is already made up about which way he is gonna go, however.

I just hope he makes the right call.
Brock Purdy reads defenses, gets rid of the ball quickly and makes smart decisions.

Is he in a good system? Absolutely.
Is he simply a product of that system, and could just anyone succeed in it? No.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm sure that Jake Browning having Mixon, 3 good WRs, and some pass protection helped him alot.
Purdy looks good with Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, CMac and a good O-line
Geno Smith had a resurgence with Metcalf, Lockett, and Walker and an improved O-line
Jake Bowning has started two games.
In the first, he was awful.
In the second, he did very well. Against a team that lost key defenders, BTW.

How's Geno Smith looking this year? And oh, BTW, he was a top pick due to talent, not a QB that fell to the mid rounds.

Nobody is arguing that NO good QBs have good teammates. We are saying simply having a great RB or WR won't mean a team is Super Bowl bound. Tennessee Titans had AJ Brown and Derick Henry and a very good head coach at the same time and were never a serious threat.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
People here want to take a car that needs an engine and upgrade the stereo and wheel covers and add a spoiler......and just figure an engine will drop from the sky.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Although it is tempting to use the #1 on a QB, there's a good chance that they won't fare any better than Fields did. However, if we draft a generational talent at WR, get the best LT in the draft, and upgrade at C, we would not only help Justin Fields, but we will also help his eventual replacement. There will be other and possibly better QBs in future drafts that could come in and succeed in a situation where we have better offensive personnel in place.
Who is getting the ball then? Moore or the generational talent at WR? Cuz this Bears offense with Fields at QB doesn't throw the ball to Mooney or any other WR on the roster not named D.J. Moore. And it's not like other WRs aren't getting open either.

If you're picking at #1 or #2 and you feel that one of these QBs is a franchise altering type of player then you take the QB. There is absolutely zero guarantees that Chicago can get another top 2 pick in 2025 and trading up to get one costs an arm and a leg. No, you take the QB now if this draft class talent is as good as the so-called experts and scouts are saying it is at the QB position. Chicago has already built a solid OL, added a true #1 WR, a solid TE and a scary good rushing attack.

After 3 seasons in the NFL, Fields is what he is...an inconsistent QB with a fantastic deep ball and rare athleticism for the position. The inconsistency is due in large part to Justin Fields struggles with reading a defense and a propensity to turn the ball over.

If Fields was balling the fuck out week in and week out then it would be a no-brainer that you stick with him, but he's just not.

Last edited:

Speed

Liked Posts:
Wtf is this even based on and don’t fucking say it’s “what you see”

Do you guys hear him? Don't believe your own lying eyes people is what he's saying. Already started in bad faith, whatever but cool.

IDGAF I'm not trying to win anybody over. You and I, both know that's a waste of time. If you wanna believe in Justin, which it's obvious you do for whatever reason despite seeing a hundred million cabillion bust QBs in Chicago, do what you wanna do man. You're a great fan, I'll give it up to you.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Who is getting the ball then? Moore or the generational talent at WR? Cuz this Bears offense with Fields at QB doesn't throw the ball to Mooney or any other WR on the roster not named D.J. Moore. And it's not like other WRs aren't getting open either.

If you're picking at #1 or #2 and you feel that one of these QBs is a franchise altering type of player then you take the QB. There is absolutely zero guarantees that Chicago can get another top 2 pick in 2025 and trading up to get one costs an arm and a leg. No, you take the QB now if this draft class talent is as good as the so-called experts and scouts are saying it is at the QB position. Chicago has already built a solid OL, added a true #1 WR, a solid TE and a scary good rushing attack.

After 3 seasons in the NFL, Fields is what he is...an inconsistent QB with a fantastic deep ball and rare athleticism for the position. The inconsistency is due in large part to Justin Fields struggles with reading a defense and a propensity to turn the ball over.

If Fields was balling the fuck out week in and week out then it would be a no-brainer that you stick with him, but he's just not.
Kmet, Scott and St brown get the ball during games but don’t let this stop you. Bears fans annoy me, they’re like kids who just got a toy but see a new one despite not even knowing the function of the one they just got

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Disagree. He was having a good career until his back injury. I was on the fence with that one, in feel like the injury derailed him, not lack of talent.

He also tore his knee up pretty good before that. Guy could not get ahead of injuries.
Was Kevin White a bust? Or did he just have injuries derail his career? Same with RG3.

If you're spending a top 2 pick on a guy and only getting a year or two of good play out of him before he's middling around the league for whatever reason, i don't think you can call it a "hit" really.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was Kevin White a bust? Or did he just have injuries derail his career? Same with RG3.

If you're spending a top 2 pick on a guy and only getting a year or two of good play out of him before he's middling around the league for whatever reason, i don't think you can call it a "hit" really.
oh for ffs, Kevin White couldn't even do anything when he was on the field. RG3 blew his knee out too. lol there is no comparison between Kevin White and Wentz, jesus.

Bears_Almighty

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  2. North Carolina Tar Heels
People here want to take a car that needs an engine and upgrade the stereo and wheel covers and add a spoiler......and just figure an engine will drop from the sky.
Or maybe the engine is good, but you have to stop taking your car to a shop where the mechanic is fucking it up.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Kmet, Scott and St brown get the ball during games but don’t let this stop you. Bears fans annoy me, they’re like kids who just got a toy but see a new one despite not even knowing the function of the one they just got
LOL. St Brown has 5 targets this year.

monkforasia

Liked Posts:
If fields isn't the QB, do we wait until 2045 to draft Arch Mannings son?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
LOL. St Brown has 5 targets this year.
Considering he’s like the 5th WR I’m surprised it’s that many, looks like that the “he only targets Moore” trope is a lie. You need to stop lying to people, they look up to you

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Considering he’s like the 5th WR I’m surprised it’s that many, looks like that the “he only targets Moore” trope is a lie. You need to stop lying to people, they look up to you

I was only commenting that using St Brown was not the best example. I didn’t comment about Kmet. Obviously Moore is his BFF but he does target other receivers.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was only commenting that using St Brown was not the best example. I didn’t comment about Kmet. Obviously Moore is his BFF but he does target other receivers.
And I only brought up him targeting others because it’s a common lie that he doesn’t

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Kmet isnt a WR. Scott has 10 catches while ESB has a whopping 4. Try again.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Kmet isnt a WR. Scott has 10 catches while ESB has a whopping 4. Try again.
Kmet is supposed to catch the ball, it’s part of his role. That’s like me saying WRs aren’t supposed to run block because they’re not listed as OL. Try again

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Kmet is supposed to catch the ball, it’s part of his role. That’s like me saying WRs aren’t supposed to run block because they’re not listed as OL. Try again
I said Fields doesnt target Mooney or any other WIDE RECEIVERS (or WR). I didnt say TE.

Which takes us back to my original question to the OP. .who gets the ball, Moore or the generatonal talent at WR? Cuz statistically speaking, Fields isnt throwing much to other WRs as it stands now and they are gwtting open.