Bullpen Discussion Thread

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The pen looks like it is beat, especially the rookies. In 2005 we went thru three closers. I am thinking now might be the time to change.

Thoughts on Reed to a setup role and Myers to closer? This is only for this year. I would bring Reed back out next year as closer.

Huffalicious

Liked Posts:
The pen looks like it is beat, especially the rookies. In 2005 we went thru three closers. I am thinking now might be the time to change.

Thoughts on Reed to a setup role and Myers to closer? This is only for this year. I would bring Reed back out next year as closer.
Myers is becoming a little shaky out there as well. Right now the bullpen is just fucked. I wouldn't mess with the setup/closer roles at all though.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Myers hasnt been all that great lately. I wouldnt change closers this late in the season.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So you two think it's wise to ride with what we have in Reed when he hasn't been all that effective lately and when Myers did such a good job of it for Hou?

Huffalicious

Liked Posts:
Sup guys. I'm Jason.

He wasn't that great for Houston. Also- yes, at this point in the season, I'd keep Reed doing what he has been doing for most of the season.

*This message may look like shit thanks to Tapatalk.

SaberSox

Ass Man
Liked Posts:
Reed hasn't had a 1-2-3 inning in a save situation since July 17th. I think he has only had 5 or 6 1-2-3's all year. When he gets hit, he get hit very hard. I like the kid, but I don't trust him in a one-run game. I personally would rather see Myers in the closer role should the Sox, by some miracle, make the playoffs with this shitty pitching staff.

Huffalicious

Liked Posts:
Reed hasn't had a 1-2-3 inning in a save situation since July 17th. I think he has only had 5 or 6 1-2-3's all year.

And neither has Valverde and he's been one of the best closers in baseball.

Reed has what... 3 blown saves all year?

*This message may look like shit thanks to Tapatalk.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Huffalicious

Liked Posts:
Eh, ERA doesn't really mean shit as far as closers go. He had 2 blown saves in 19 tries for the Astros. Reed has 4 blown on 30 attempts. So... it's not much different really.

You've seen what happens to some pitchers when they switch roles. Best to just leave it.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I agree in general, but in closer situations it speaks volumes. I hope Reed rights the ship, I really do, but if he chokes the next time he's out there it will be somethign else to question our Rookie manager about.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) you cannot compare closers ERAs and use that as the end all be all when you are looking at a huge sample size.

2) you cannot compare when someone was pitching in the NL plus in combination of above.

3) 1,2,3 innings for closers are overrated

4) there are too many changes too fast for the sox and their pitching, no need to fuck with addisons head and than insert myers in the closer role in the AL in the middle of a pennant chase.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1) you cannot compare closers ERAs and use that as the end all be all when you are looking at a huge sample size.

2) you cannot compare when someone was pitching in the NL plus in combination of above.

3) 1,2,3 innings for closers are overrated

4) there are too many changes too fast for the sox and their pitching, no need to fuck with addisons head and than insert myers in the closer role in the AL in the middle of a pennant chase.

1) I never called it the be all end all stat
2) I agree there is a factor, that said I would think teams facing Myers as an Astro would think they would have teh advantage since it's the 'stros
3) Overrated or rare?
4) Yes, I agree witht hat too, but if Reed can't do the job it could cost the Sox the playoffs. That scares me. I applaud what the Sox management team did with their closers in 2005.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I disagree that a 1,2,3 closer is not needed, but at the same time you don't purposely go looking for one considering they are rare.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
now im done with reed and i dont trust myers. so we have no closer

Sent from my USCfans guide to being an uneducated baseball fan using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't trust Myers either, but I would rather him have the ball. I commend Ventura for pulling Reed and focusing on the win at this point more than the players psyche.

SaberSox

Ass Man
Liked Posts:
Reed has what... 3 blown saves all year?

How can you trust this guy? Saturday's game was a prime example of what he's been doing all year. You really want that uncertianty in a playoff game? I don't. You can't trust him in one-run save opps.

jcrab66

Liked Posts:
i dont know what the answer is, i dont get paid to know it but i will say that as of late Reed seems to not be on top of his game and Myers has been fairly shaky too. On the other hand Thornton came in with 0 outs and the bases loaded yesterday and took care of business so maybe his head is where it needs to be to do the job down the stretch.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm tossing my hat with the best closer this year. That has been by far Myers.

Huffalicious

Liked Posts:
i dont know what the answer is, i dont get paid to know it but i will say that as of late Reed seems to not be on top of his game and Myers has been fairly shaky too. On the other hand Thornton came in with 0 outs and the bases loaded yesterday and took care of business so maybe his head is where it needs to be to do the job down the stretch.
Sure, Thornton looked fine Saturday, but he's usually not so good in the closer role. Not really sure who to put in there. Maybe try Thornton in another game and see what happens.