Bulls Beat #116 - The first draft preview

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
It's just one scout so we gotta wait to Doug's talks to more guys but after listening to this podcast I'm looking at Williams and Ellington at 16. Forget looking at Ellington at 26. He can fill a void for us this year with losing BG

James Johnson and Mullens also interest me now too. I left this podcast looking at totally different guys from before which is great

Guys I will research now are James Johnson,Clark,Mullens,Ellington and Williams

Rose1

Liked Posts:
I've been watching these guys out their whole. I'm more of a NBA draft guy when it comes to that segment of pro ball. I love listening to people argue of who's better for the Bulls. I remember when Clark couldn't even dribble the ball his freshman year. He has improved a lot. One thing I notice from his freshman year to now is his feel. He resembles Lebron James and Lamar Odom in that sense. Wayne Ellington reminds me a lot of Cuttino Mobley. I'm not big on him. He's a tweener and he'll make his money just shooting the rock similar to Daniel Boobie Gibson. Though, I mustt admit his jump-shot does look smooth and deliberate. James Johnson is Ryan Gomes of T'Wolves, he basically when get his at that Forward spot. His moves are not pretty but effective. Terrence Williams is the player you want to have next to a Kobe or Wade. His role player potential is so crazy. He's definitely a second type star on the NBA team. One thing about him is that Coaches won't question his conditioning. He resembles the Corey Maggette of Depaul.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
For some reason I just don't think BJ Mullens will be available because he's 7 foot 1 inch, complemented with explosiveness and nice fundamentals. He not far from being a legit starter. I just can't see Warriors or some other team in the lottery passing on him. I know Gar shouldn't hesitate if he's still there waiting. This guy was like Shaq at the Boost Mobile Game. I love his upside with a player like Derrick Rose. You never know, I didn't think Deandre Jordan would fall as far as he did. And speaking of late picks, that 26th selection should take Jermaine Tyler in consideration. I watched him at the skills game this year at Auburn Hills. He plays like a Dwayne Wade out there. He's 6'4'' with long arms that has a knack for intercepting the basketball in pending passing lanes. He has a quick release which is fluid too. I also think he doesn't mind being the go-to guy unlike Chase Budinger and others. The only con I see is his age. I'm a fan of teens coming into the league just reaching 20 after their rookie year - something to that affect.

Rose Hinrich
Tyler Salmons
Deng Salmons
Noah Ty.Thomas
Mullens Miller

*I also got some negative feed back from Bulls fans about Austin Daye. Don't criticized my endorsement of the guy, especially if you haven't seen him play. Sure he makes Tayshaun Prince look like Ronnie Coleman but once he gets stronger, I believe he'll be top 5 far as best player in this year draft.

JakeN7

Liked Posts:
Lookin' forward to the listen, I love the draft talk. I actually watched a lot more college bball this season than I normally do. With that said, I completely agree with those who want Blair. He was a beast, very tough minded player.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
JakeN7 wrote:
Lookin' forward to the listen, I love the draft talk. I actually watched a lot more college bball this season than I normally do. With that said, I completely agree with those who want Blair. He was a beast, very tough minded player.

He brings a new attitude to this team. I think he'll be Derrick Rose's Charles Oakley. The guy can easily be the most respected on the team because he gets it done from a blue collar approach. He might be the most outspoken prospect too. Blair is unique in many ways. His talent is great but it's his personality that will make him a plus more.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Rose1 wrote:
Doug Man, I haven't listen to the podcast yet about the draft. I want to know are you going to have more in the near future?

Yeah, I'll probably do another one this sunday talking at great length about a couple of prospects, and then some Gordon discussions and emails I didn't answer in this one.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I don't think it'd be fair by any means, but I can already hear a bunch of jokes about him fitting in perfectly with our existing front court.

Dumb and bad work ethic - not much of an endorsement.

He was described to me as a guy who if he had good work ethic and basketball IQ would be a top 2-3 pick in the draft, but he doesn't. I've been told he has among the best potential in the draft, but the lowest probability of reaching it.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
For some reason I just don't think BJ Mullens will be available because he's 7 foot 1 inch, complemented with explosiveness and nice fundamentals. He not far from being a legit starter. I just can't see Warriors or some other team in the lottery passing on him. I know Gar shouldn't hesitate if he's still there waiting. This guy was like Shaq at the Boost Mobile Game. I love his upside with a player like Derrick Rose.

Mullens has a load of potential, but I don't know, he looked awfully far away. Never trust a 7 foot guy with his athleticism and bulk who can't rebound in college. That's a really big red flag that something is wrong with the dude.

*I also got some negative feed back from Bulls fans about Austin Daye. Don't criticized my endorsement of the guy, especially if you haven't seen him play. Sure he makes Tayshaun Prince look like Ronnie Coleman but once he gets stronger, I believe he'll be top 5 far as best player in this year draft.

I haven't looked at Daye yet, but upon reading his DX report he seems like he'd be a really high potential guy that you'd need to wait a long time on developing. A guy who could probably raise his stock a lot if he went back to school.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Mullens has a load of potential, but I don't know, he looked awfully far away. Never trust a 7 foot guy with his athleticism and bulk who can't rebound in college. That's a really big red flag that something is wrong with the dude.

Kind of a certain somebody mentioned with Brook Lopez last year? ;)

I don't think you can blame anyone for that though, it seemed like Lopez just turned into a different player in terms of rebounding once he reached the NBA. It's probably pretty tough to project that kind of a turnaround with any accuracy.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
Terrence Williams at #16 would be excellent. I doubt however, he's available. Given his athleticism, superb rebounding and passing skills for a 6'6 swing, I just can't imagine him later than #10. Someone will take a chance.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
ryguy24 wrote:

I don't think you can blame anyone for that though, it seemed like Lopez just turned into a different player in terms of rebounding once he reached the NBA. It's probably pretty tough to project that kind of a turnaround with any accuracy.

It's a fair point, Brook Lopez's stats really scream bust when you project them to the next level. Low FG% and rebound rate in college while towering over everyone he plays against.

It's really interesting how well he's performed thusfar in the NBA. It certainly goes to show that you never know what a guy will do on the next level.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Doug what do you think about Patrick Patterson at #16? The podcast never got around to talking about him but he is one of my top choices for guys I would like that I expect to be at 16. He is an efficient post scorer, can spot up and shoot, plays well in the pick and roll. Draftexpress compares him to Brandon Bass and that would be a nice addition to go with Tyrus, Noah and Miller upfront. I like Budinger at 26 but am intrigued by Jermaine Taylor.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Basghetti80 wrote:
Doug what do you think about Patrick Patterson at #16? The podcast never got around to talking about him but he is one of my top choices for guys I would like that I expect to be at 16. He is an efficient post scorer, can spot up and shoot, plays well in the pick and roll. Draftexpress compares him to Brandon Bass and that would be a nice addition to go with Tyrus, Noah and Miller upfront. I like Budinger at 26 but am intrigued by Jermaine Taylor.

I haven't watched Patterson yet, I mentioned him, but Joey skipped over him, he probably just forgot him because I gave him a long list. I meant to get back to it, but I didn't get around to it.

I don't think Budinger will be there at #26, but if he is then it's a no brainer. I haven't watched budinger this year, but I thought he was a good mid round pick when I scouted him two years ago.

I spoke to Jonathan Givony about a lot of these guys today, he really doesn't like Ellington at all and has a view entirely different than Joey's view. I haven't watched him myself to create my own view yet though.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
I have to agree with Givony on Ellington. I don't like his game not one bit. Personally, I think that kid is the second coming of Trajan Langdon. The Bulls shouldn't draft him if they had a second round pick.

Danny Green will be just fine with the 26th pick.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
JimmyBulls wrote:
I have to agree with Givony on Ellington. I don't like his game not one bit. Personally, I think that kid is the second coming of Trajan Langdon. The Bulls shouldn't draft him if they had a second round pick.

Danny Green will be just fine with the 26th pick.

Danny Green is one of those guys whom basketball picked him. He really is nothing more than James Jones on the NBA level. I wouldn't waste my pick on someone with modest talent. He's projected to go undrafted to second round bubble. You don't take him when you have players like Calathes available. Besides, from here and out Paxson should focus on building a team that's precisely constructed around Rose. Green also likes to defer a lot and his game masters none. He's o.k.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
You clearly have a problem with the defense side of the basketball court. Danny Green is Dante Jones with a jumpshot. He definitely will have to work on his ball handling skills, but I don't think he'll play the role of creator on this Bulls team. Green will be a guy that can play solid defense, knockdown open shots, fill the lanes on the break, and knockdown his free throws. I like the kid because he won't have to learn how to be a effective roleplayer.

Calathes? There is more to the game of basketball then just offense. Calathes won't be much of a creator on the pro level, not much of a defender either. The guy will only be out there to make shots. Danny Green is way more valuable when compared to over-rated prospects like Nick Calathes. My guess is Nick Calathes will probably opt to go back to Florida.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
Doug what's the story with James Johnson. You mention him as a guy you like and from the little highlights I can watch he looks pretty good. Do you consider him a 4? Does he have a little inside game?

From what I watched he kinda reminded me of Thad Young

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
JimmyBulls wrote:
You clearly have a problem with the defense side of the basketball court. Danny Green is Dante Jones with a jumpshot. He definitely will have to work on his ball handling skills, but I don't think he'll play the role of creator on this Bulls team. Green will be a guy that can play solid defense, knockdown open shots, fill the lanes on the break, and knockdown his free throws. I like the kid because he's a guy that won't have to learn how to be a effective roleplayer.

Calathes? There is more to the game of basketball then just offense. Calathes won't be much of a creator on the pro level, not much of a defender either. The guy will only be out there to make shots. Danny Green is way more valuable when compared to over-rated prospects like Nick Calathes. My guess is Nick Calathes will probably opt to go back to Florida.

Yeah at 26 we need a guy that is NBA ready that can be a solid role player unless a guy like Mullens were to fall which won't be the case. So unless someone that falls that you just can't pass on you gotta get someone that can step in and fill a role

IMO though this draft lacks superstar potential it seems like a draft that if you're picking mid-late 1st that you can find good role players and that what we need right now

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
A thought I have is could we make a draft day deal that moves us up into the top 10 to get a specific player we like and at the same time create capspace to get Gordon signed and stay under the luxury tax?

A deal something like #16 plus a player(Hinrich, Salmons or Deng) for a higher draft pick. Is something like that possible? It would have to be a team with capspace so that means Timberwolves at 5, Grizzlies at 6, Raptors at 9. Is something like this doable to create the capspace for Gordon and get a higher level player? Is there a top 10 player that we would do that for? Maybe Hinrich and the #16 to Minny for the #5 and use it on Jordan Hill. Or any deal along those lines?

HeavyC

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
ryguy24 wrote:

It's a fair point, Brook Lopez's stats really scream bust when you project them to the next level. Low FG% and rebound rate in college while towering over everyone he plays against.

It's really interesting how well he's performed thusfar in the NBA. It certainly goes to show that you never know what a guy will do on the next level.

At 16, to me, Mullens would be a gift. Anybody they pick there will have shortcomings. I'd rather get lucky taking a 7'1 Center then get lucky taking a SG or SF.