Bulls draft James Johnson

DASMACKDOWN

Liked Posts:
Doug,
Now I am a big Tyrus guy.. But in your opinion, if you gave Johnson, the exact same shots and opportunities that Tyrus got last season to score, would you say Johnson could score at least 13ppg-15ppg?

Tyrus avgd 10.8

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Doug,
Now I am a big Tyrus guy.. But in your opinion, if you gave Johnson, the exact same shots and opportunities that Tyrus got last season to score, would you say Johnson could score at least 13ppg-15ppg?

Tyrus avgd 10.8

I think Johnson's definitely a better offensive player right now than Tyrus. The main thing is that Johnson's a very good finisher around the basket even when drawing contact, he has nice touch when attacking the rim.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
BTW, Gar Forman said that the Bulls aren't trading Kirk Hinrich, and he also said the Bulls plan on bringing back Ben Gordon.

PG-Derrick Rose/Kirk Hinrich
SG-Ben Gordon/Kirk Hinrich

It'd be great if management realized that that is a hell of a guard rotation, and is worth paying for.

I think Tyrus Thomas is going to be the one on the out.

Doug, if we trade Tyrus Thomas along with Luol Deng for a big man (Amare, Bosh?), do you think Johnson could fill in at small forward? He seems like a pure power forward to me.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Lets hope so. JJ could be playing significant minutes this year. Ford hinting about twice during draft he was on the block. Now we only have to find way to get rid of Deng and somebody has to force him to retire or cripple him.

Rose/Hinrich
Gordon/Hinrich
Salmons/JJ
JJ/Noah/Gibson
Miller/Noah

Hunter,Roberson,Nelson,Tim Thomas

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
This is weird because Johnson measure at 6'7'' 3/4. He will struggle at PF but that shouldn't be his slot. He should play at the three on the Bulls. I like the Gibson pick because he can score inside. He was the one carrying USC, not Derozen.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
BTW, Gar Forman said that the Bulls aren't trading Kirk Hinrich, and he also said the Bulls plan on bringing back Ben Gordon.

It'd be great if management realized that that is a hell of a guard rotation, and is worth paying for.

Doug, if we trade Tyrus Thomas along with Luol Deng for a big man (Amare, Bosh?), do you think Johnson could fill in at small forward? He seems like a pure power forward to me.

First, don't believe any of that stuff Forman said. He also said that the SG with size and defensive ability that the Bulls need is on the roster (Salmons). So don't be to quick to think anything concrete about what moves will/won't be made in the future.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Simeon2UC wrote:
This is weird because Johnson measure at 6'7'' 3/4. He will struggle at PF but that shouldn't be his slot. He should play at the three on the Bulls. I like the Gibson pick because he can score inside. He was the one carrying USC, not Derozen.

How will he struggle at PF? It's not like hes twig or anything, has nice wingspan I think 7 ft or 6 ft 11

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Simeon2UC wrote:

Keep in mind he got shafted with his shoes. A guy like Beasley was 6'7 w/o shoes and measured at 6'8.25 in shoes. Johnson was 6'7 w/o shoes and 6'7.75 with shoes. Hopefully he changes his kicks.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
I am happy with the pick of Johnson. What I love most is that he is 260, the one thing we need is someone big down low that can bang. It doesn't matter to me whether he is a 3 or a 4 as long as we have him on the roster to throw in when someone like Big Baby is pushing us around. I think already Johnson could probably defend someone like him.

As for Taj I think that was solid, not a bad pick. I don't think Blair will be anything special probably another Michael Sweetney. Blair has bad knees I heard that it is inevitable that he will have microfracture surgeries in a few years. That's probably why he went so low. At the 26th pick I am not expecting to get someone who will be that great so Gibson is a good risk. And 33" vertical sucks if that is Blair's measurement. I had a 32 inch vertical in high school and I can't jump at all. A normal person in their late 20's has about a 28 inch vertical, anecdotal evidence from basketball camps. Either way 33 inches is not good at all. But he is big so that doesn't matter, McHale couldn't jump and Rodman could jump but he didn't a lot because he boxed out so well. I just don't think Blair is as smart as those guys, has the footwork of those guys and he won't stay healthy.

hfritz32

Liked Posts:
i am very dissapointed in our draft, I am not sold on Johnson and dont think he will be any where near an all star or even a starter. I dont get how he fits on this roster, he cant play the 4, and WTF IS WITH THE 26 PICK. I dont care if Blair has health problems i would rather have someone who can contribute for a little bit then someone who wont play 5 min a game for our team. Taj will not be in our rotation and never will be what a joke of a pick. Would of been better selling it for cash. But Really couldnt even of got Carrol? Ellington? or Budinger? I sure hope Johnson will be a solid player for us because i think we passed on a few with our 26 pick

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:

JJ has said many times that he sees himself as a SF, but will do whatever the teams asks of him. That leaves Fish, Deng, and JJ at the 3. Salmons is easier than Deng to trade, so I could see him + Tyrus + Tim outgoing in a trade for a Amare or Bosh.

But i'm not sure how much that saves Reinsdorf, will it be enough to give BG 10 mil this season?

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
James Johnsin is crazy!

From Yahoo Sports

Analysis: Here's what to like about Johnson. He's a big athlete from Cheyenne, Wyoming, of all places. He says if the NBA doesn't work out, he'll give give mixed martial arts a try (he was a junior champion back home). And he supposedly talked so much trash to Chris Paul during summer pickup games at Wake Forest, that CP3 didn't want New Orleans to draft him. At least he's interesting. -- Dan Wetzel

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/draft;_ylt=Ar8xSOkO_JMq4XXmP8GG1ZO8vLYF

Looks like we might have our enforcer too.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Re:James Johnsin is crazy!

Derrick Rose was lobbying for Johnson, apparently:
"That's a team that was in the mix with us," Ndiaye said. "We feel really, really comfortable having James in Chicago. First of all, Derrick Rose -- one of our clients who just won Rookie of the Year -- got to work out with James while they were in Los Angeles and he wanted James on that team."

"We've got a lot of connections with that team and we thought it was a young and upcoming team and James would fit right in," Ndiaye added.
"Derrick Rose is a winner, I feel like I'm a winner," Johnson said. "Going to Chicago is great for me."
http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2009/06/26/sports/19sports_06-26-09.txt

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
ryguy24 wrote:
Simeon2UC wrote:

Keep in mind he got shafted with his shoes. A guy like Beasley was 6'7 w/o shoes and measured at 6'8.25 in shoes. Johnson was 6'7 w/o shoes and 6'7.75 with shoes. Hopefully he changes his kicks.

good point, I forgot all about Michael Beasley.

Seth

Liked Posts:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:
Spurs take Dejuan Blair. Why do the rich keep getting richer?

Bulls take Taj Gibson and James Johnson. why do the tweener teams keep getting tweeners?

Hey whats wrong with Tweeners?

Rashad Lewis and Hedo are tweeners. Jamison. Even Odom.

you can add Lebron to that list

Jamfan

Twitter: @jamfan41
Liked Posts:
I love this pick.