Bulls Interested In Signing Lance Stephenson

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
The Bulls have formed their Plan B if they are unable to sign Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James.

The Bulls would need to sell Anthony or James on the possibility of playing with a recovered Derrick Rose, along with the value of Joakim Noah, Jimmy Butler and Tom Thibodeau.

But if the Bulls are unable to secure a deal with either player, they are likely to turn to Lance Stephenson.

Stephenson will be an unrestricted free agent.

The Bulls would move Jimmy Butler to small forward if they were to sign Stephenson.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
He is going to have a lot of attention on him too. Just hoping the Bulls come out of free agency closer to a championship.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
surprised....Lance isnt the type of guy pax likes character wise

but he can create his own shot and would fit in defensively and is a great rebounder for a guard

but it would cost upwards of 10m to get him...would he be worth that much? personally i dont think so

i say Carmelo or bust...if it means moving Taj to free enough space DO IT...as Hue said you're closer to a title with Rose/Melo than Rose/Taj

Liked Posts:
Just hope they don't overpay him like they did with the 2010 "plan b"

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
There is nothing in this free agency class that really helps us(and when I say free agency, I mean UFAs, because praying for options to drop changes everything, and RFAs that are worth a damn, will be even more of a long shot because the good ones are in high demand for their respective teams). The draft is the best way to go, and best place to focus.

Although :thinking: GarPax SHOULD be throwing smoke screens left and right to increase these guys value, and screw with other teams. :yep:

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't believe Stephenson and Butler like each other...regarding their meeting years ago in Cinci when they were in college. Stephenson got in several tussles with Hinrich this year, too.

I really really don't see Stephenson being a Bull.

Liked Posts:
I don't believe Stephenson and Butler like each other...regarding their meeting years ago in Cinci when they were in college. Stephenson got in several tussles with Hinrich this year, too.

I really really don't see Stephenson being a Bull.

You can never say never..........
[video=youtube;IhQyaKWsQy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQyaKWsQy8[/video]

..but I really don't see him leaving Indy plus he's not a prototypical paxgar glory boy

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I remember when Stephenson looked like he was just another scrub...

He's definitely a player that could help us on both ends of the court, but imo he's not going to play at the same level next year and he'll likely be viewed as overpaid. Still...great rebounding guard, proven ability to hit the 3 and play defense, playmaker offensively (this year at least)...all things we could use. Don't see him coming here though, mostly because some other team will pay him way more than he's worth.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Its on Hoopshype.com
Thanks bro. I found it in the Sun-times also:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/bask...n-derrick-rose-and-big-bang-in-offseason.html

The biggest leap of faith is Rose. While a growing minority seems to feel the Bulls can’t rely on a player whose knees continue to betray him, that’s exactly what they’re doing.

Explaining the Deng trade last week, vice president of basketball operations John Paxson said, ‘‘What we’ve done in the long run is we’ve given ourselves an opportunity going forward to create flexibility and to put together a complete roster, and with depth — again, with the idea of guys that can compliment Derrick and can play well with Derrick. That’s our challenge going forward, and we’re looking forward to it.’’

That means looking forward to meetings with soon-to-be free agents such as LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony and trying to sell them on taking a leap of faith on Rose as well. The upcoming offseason could define the Paxson/Forman era.

If they fail to land a star of the magnitude of Anthony or James, there is a consolation prize. The Bulls would love to nab Lance Stephenson from the Indiana Pacers, move Jimmy Butler to the three and add highly touted Nikola Mirotic after using the amnesty clause on Carlos Boozer. That would give them a talented roster, but still not a great one.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Bulls are going to need to shed more cap to have any shot at Lebron or Melo. They will need to trade Dunleavy, Noah or Gibson as well as amnesty Boozer just to have enough for a max contract.

Lance Stephenson is the ONLY solid player other than Melo or Lebron that will be available at a position of need this off-season. I have called it several times already that he will be a Bulls if he signs for 6-8 million which, truly represents his value.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
I have called it several times already that he will be a Bulls if he signs for 6-8 million which, truly represents his value.
So, it was you.

I thought that I remembered a recent conversation about Stephenson on this board...lol

ginny

Liked Posts:
Lance Stephenson is the ONLY solid player other than Melo or Lebron that will be available at a position of need this off-season. I have called it several times already that he will be a Bulls if he signs for 6-8 million which, truly represents his value.

That doesn't sound like too bad of a plan PolarBear.

About Dunleavy...I don't know if I would be in too much of a hurry to get rid of him though. His 3pt threat provides much needed floor spacing to allow shot creators to work their game. Don't get me wrong, if I was wowed with a trade that was too good to pass on, I would definately pull the trigger.

Using the amnesty provision on Boozer - which I am in favor of - will leave us thin in the front court though. So assuming the Bulls are able to sign Stephenson, what do you think would be their options to fill the front court void, based on availability and available cap space, be it FA signing, and or trade?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
That doesn't sound like too bad of a plan PolarBear.

About Dunleavy...I don't know if I would be in too much of a hurry to get rid of him though. His 3pt threat provides much needed floor spacing to allow shot creators to work their game. Don't get me wrong, if I was wowed with a trade that was too good to pass on, I would definately pull the trigger.

Using the amnesty provision on Boozer - which I am in favor of - will leave us thin in the front court though. So assuming the Bulls are able to sign Stephenson, what do you think would be their options to fill the front court void, based on availability and available cap space, be it FA signing, and or trade?

Sign Nikola Mirotic using the MLE to play the backup 4 to Gibson. Hopefully we get 1 of our protected picks this year as well as our own so the Bulls can draft a big and guard.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Mirotic would be signed to a rookie contract using the rookie scale. MLE isn't a factor.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Mirotic would be signed to a rookie contract using the rookie scale. MLE isn't a factor.

I am pretty sure that's the reason he isn't here now. He is getting paid more in Europe. This offseason, Mirotic is no longer bound by the rookie payscale and in order to bring him over here, the Bulls are going to have to pay up. The use of the MLE should be sufficient enough.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nba/1840/nikola-mirotic

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Idk how I would feel about signing him. Don't get me wrong, he's a pretty good player the problem is I think he'll get a deal worth 10-12 mil a year. I just have a feeling he'll end up like Boozer, a pretty good player but vastly overpaid.

Then again I didn't see James Harden becoming what he is today either so who knows. He leads all SGs in rebounding, is 4th in assists, 1st in double doubles, 3rd in FG%. Plus he is a durable player. I'd also worry about him getting that pay day and then just coasting afterwards.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons

Not true. Starting in 2014 the Bulls can sign Mirotic to the MLE. And it would probably take the full MLE to make financial sense to Mirotic.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I am pretty sure that's the reason he isn't here now. He is getting paid more in Europe. This offseason, Mirotic is no longer bound by the rookie payscale and in order to bring him over here, the Bulls are going to have to pay up. The use of the MLE should be sufficient enough.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nba/1840/nikola-mirotic

No, you're right. MLE can be used. They didn't get the restriction that covers an extension based on international league contracts, I was thinking of Veremeenko, which expired this last offseason.