Caleb Williams vs Justin Fields

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
NFL thought Marino was QB6

You guys don’t understand the difference between a prospect and a finished product do you?

The NFL didn’t think shit of a lot of players as prospects that turned into amazing professionals

Nelly

Liked Posts:
You guys don’t understand the difference between a prospect and a finished product do you?

The NFL didn’t think shit of a lot of players as prospects that turned into amazing professionals
And plenty of great prospects turn out to be shitty or just average pros. It's crap shoot really. Here's the starting QBs in the league drafted in the top 10 and then outside of it:
  • Matt Stafford
  • Jared Goff
  • Joe Burrow
  • Kyler Gordon
  • Trevor Lawrence
  • Bryce Young
  • Baker Mayfield
  • C.J. Stroud
  • Anthony Richardson
  • Tua Tagovailoa
  • Justin Herbert
  • Daniel Jones
  • Josh Allen
  • Patrick Mahomes
Starting QBs drafted outside of the top 10:
  • Deshaun Watson
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Mac Jones
  • Lamar Jackson
  • Kenny Pickett
  • Will Levis
  • Russell Wilson
  • Jimmy Garappolo
  • Kirk Cousins
  • Jordan Love
  • Justin Fields
  • Desmond Ridder
  • Derek Carr
  • Brock Purdy
  • Jalen Hurts
  • Dak Prescott
  • Geno Smith
  • Sam Howell

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

It's just really pointless to bring up where guys went in the draft as a knock or plus against them.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

The NFL didn't think Marino was the 6th most talented. They feared his rumored drug problem.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i went on PFF and looked for Mahomes metrics out of curiosity but they don't have his pre draft stuff. Honestly going by sack percentage and pressure ratings CJ Stroud doesn't look that good but he's great in reality. I just don't think there's a sure fire way to grade QBs and think it's a crapshoot

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thats a lot of text to say Justin Fields was the superior prospect

You are pulling a Trubisky. Williams is clearly the superior prospect. I likely stick with Fields but no need to destroy credibility by talking out of your ass.

Tbf Fields beat most of his tough competitors, Williams not so much

This means jack shit as Fields' NFL career proves. He has failed in the clutch numerous times in the NFL.

In fact one of his problems is he tries to play hero ball which may work in college but gets you a lot of turnovers and injuries in the NFL.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The NFL didn't think Marino was the 6th most talented. They feared his rumored drug problem.

Wow, it’s almost as if NFL teams factor in personal issues too!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's just really pointless to bring up where guys went in the draft as a knock or plus against them.

It isn’t about being a knock or a plus. The whole reason it’s brought up was msadows said Fields was a better prospect than any of these QBs.

That is an opinion.

The only factual way to determine who’s a better PROSPECT is where a player is drafted.

Otherwise it’s just a bunch of opinions.

This has nothing to do with future production or anything like that.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
And plenty of great prospects turn out to be shitty or just average pros. It's crap shoot really. Here's the starting QBs in the league drafted in the top 10 and then outside of it:
  • Matt Stafford
  • Jared Goff
  • Joe Burrow
  • Kyler Gordon
  • Trevor Lawrence
  • Bryce Young
  • Baker Mayfield
  • C.J. Stroud
  • Anthony Richardson
  • Tua Tagovailoa
  • Justin Herbert
  • Daniel Jones
  • Josh Allen
  • Patrick Mahomes
Starting QBs drafted outside of the top 10:
  • Deshaun Watson
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Mac Jones
  • Lamar Jackson
  • Kenny Pickett
  • Will Levis
  • Russell Wilson
  • Jimmy Garappolo
  • Kirk Cousins
  • Jordan Love
  • Justin Fields
  • Desmond Ridder
  • Derek Carr
  • Brock Purdy
  • Jalen Hurts
  • Dak Prescott
  • Geno Smith
  • Sam Howell

You’re 100% correct but this isn’t the conversation.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even can't miss prospects aren't always that but rolling the dice with the number one pick on a qb everyone has worries about is questionable. The Bears can take the best WR to come out in years and still take a QB to develop later.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Good morning troll mod, I'm happy your thread worked out for you

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm glad I'm not the GM making these kinds of decisions. This one will make or break his job.

When was the last time a franchise had back to back number 1 overall picks? The season isn't over but, short of Carolina suddenly finding competence, it looks like the Bears will be getting that again.

I don't know what we are going to get if we draft Williams. No one does. What really needs to be addressed is whether this is the best we are going to see from Fields. Are the Bears going to sign him to an extension after this year. Even if we extend him Chicago for his fifth year that means we have to try to get an extension done before the final season of his rookie contract. And at that point the window of opportunity to draft someone like Caleb Williams, good or bad, will be gone.

I don't know. Justin Fields does some things very well. His mobility and ability to extend plays is amazing. He has a great arm and pretty good touch throwing on the move. These are really nice things to have in a QB and Fields does well. He has shown some improvement but are we at his ceiling or will he get better with time? Will bringing in a big body receiver improve his passing ability, or at least increase his comfort throwing the ball. I mean would a team like Seattle be willing to make a Carolina like trade but with DK Metcalf?

There are so many options and boy do I want Chicago t get this right. Fields, good and bad, is a known quantity and probably can continue in the QB1 role for a reasonable price. You could put talent around him. But is he good enough, with that talent, to lead a game winning drive in the Superbowl? If he isn't then you need to replace him.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You are pulling a Trubisky. Williams is clearly the superior prospect. I likely stick with Fields but no need to destroy credibility by talking out of your ass.

This means jack shit as Fields' NFL career proves. He has failed in the clutch numerous times in the NFL.

In fact one of his problems is he tries to play hero ball which may work in college but gets you a lot of turnovers and injuries in the NFL.
That's also part of Caleb's problem in college already. Hero ball. It's why he also fumbles as much as he does. I know it looks like I'm against Williams but I'm not. If the Bears move on from Fields, the only QBs I think they should target are Williams or Daniels. That's it. I don't want to see the Bears move on from Fields for any of the other prospects in this class. It's just the talk around Williams has gotten out of control. Like, way out of control. Comparing him to Mahomes, who very well might be the most talented all-around QB ever, is pretty unfair to Williams and putting unrealistic expectations on him just because he made a couple throws at odd arm angles.
Yeah, and that's part of the reason that Fields dropped was because of rumored health issues. So it's pretty pointless to talk about where a guy was drafted as an indictment or vindication of his talent.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It isn’t about being a knock or a plus. The whole reason it’s brought up was msadows said Fields was a better prospect than any of these QBs.

That is an opinion.

The only factual way to determine who’s a better PROSPECT is where a player is drafted.

Otherwise it’s just a bunch of opinions.

This has nothing to do with future production or anything like that.
True, but I also don't believe the bolded. Fields was the number 2 prospect until the Jets pulled a Jets move and fell in love with Wilson at the combine while the rumors about Fields started to make their rounds. IIRC there was also stuff that was completely untrue about why he left Georgia and it was used as a knock against him, even though the real story had to do with racism. That was on top of the epilepsy stuff. I'd say time has proven he definitely was the 2nd best QB in that draft, for whatever that's worth.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Legit question: Are there any concerns about Caleb Williams leadership or ability to handle the spotlight?

I feel like guys really gravitate to Fields and he definitely has not shied away from media and takes things head on from that standpoint.

Not saying that I would not draft Williams but just curious if there are any concerns about his ability to handle the Chicago media and fans spotlight
It is one of the biggest negatives that I see with Williams. Ignoring the media after tough losses in college where in the pros he has to answer the hard questions. I think Chicago media would eat him alive. I think he is a thin- skinned mama's boy much like Jeff George coming out of college was.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
True, but I also don't believe the bolded. Fields was the number 2 prospect until the Jets pulled a Jets move and fell in love with Wilson at the combine while the rumors about Fields started to make their rounds. IIRC there was also stuff that was completely untrue about why he left Georgia and it was used as a knock against him, even though the real story had to do with racism. That was on top of the epilepsy stuff. I'd say time has proven he definitely was the 2nd best QB in that draft, for whatever that's worth.

Per the media and fans. Which are opinions and not facts. Which is my point

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The option that Bears trade down in the 1st and takes one of the next tier of QB's in the late 1st or maybe even early 2nd round. M.Penix, Bo Nix, JJ.McCarthy.