Cameron Meredith is getting ready to run the NFC South ahead of schedule

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think AR has not been shooting his gun off in ANY drills.

I like the fact that Cam was an UDFA that worked his way up. He now has that .... "Show the BEARs brass his ass" mentality, motivating him in his 110% efforts in Rehab.

Wish I could say the same for AR.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I predict no reasonable fan watching the Bears this upcoming season will lament the fact that Meredith is not part of our WR corps.

Nobody will be crying “Meredith would have caught that one” or “We’d have won if Meredith was our go to guy!”.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
First, I like Cam. I thought his route running was extremely under valued. That said... I don't think it's wise to pay the 6th catching target on your team $5.3mil guaranteed. It's just not smart business.

For those who wish the Bears kept Cam... Who on the current roster would you give up to keep him? And would you expect Cam to have played special teams if he stayed?

Robinson
White (5.2mil guaranteed, so replacing him with Cam means it's costing $10.5mil minus offset if White was signed elsewhere)
Gabriel
Miller
Wimms (7th rnd rookie contract and will probably play Special teams)

One of these 2 might stay but even if they do, they'll be way down the pecking order and they're cheaper combined.

Fowler ($1mil - 1 year)
Brown ($705K - 1 year)

First off, Cam at one year was 2.9 million to the bears. Second off, there's a fallacy in how you're looking at the cost to replace white. It's already sunk, so it's an either White, or Cam costing 2.9 less any offset (so very little). 10.5 is irrelevant.

Third off, I wouldn't take away from the WR group, I would take Sims out and roll lighter at TE.

But either way, I like what Pace has done at WR subsequent to the Cam decision.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First off, Cam at one year was 2.9 million to the bears. Second off, there's a fallacy in how you're looking at the cost to replace white. It's already sunk, so it's an either White, or Cam costing 2.9 less any offset (so very little). 10.5 is irrelevant.

Third off, I wouldn't take away from the WR group, I would take Sims out and roll lighter at TE.

But either way, I like what Pace has done at WR subsequent to the Cam decision.

He's guaranteed 5.3mil though. So even if you consider it a 1 year (and cut him next year) or keep him for 2 and pay him $9.5mil, he's getting that guaranteed money. If you're dropping Kevin White (which has a sunk cost of $5.2, then you're getting nothing for that $5.2 and you're paying Cam. Sure, White would get signed somewhere else, but who's going to pay him more than a million when he has zero production?

If you didn't take away from the current WR list, then Cam is still probably your 5th or 6th target option behind;

ARod
Gabriel
Miller
Burton
Shaheen
Cohen

and I'm not even counting White. I'm just saying there's not enough balls to go around to warrant paying him that much is all.

edit: Forgot you are probably talking about using the original round tender on him. To me that's still too much for a 1 year rental for a guy that deep on your depth chart.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I predict no reasonable fan watching the Bears this upcoming season will lament the fact that Meredith is not part of our WR corps.

Nobody will be crying “Meredith would have caught that one” or “We’d have won if Meredith was our go to guy!”.

Adipost when finding out when CM signed with NO
tumblr_n6ra7kklgG1qg1euzo6_250.gif

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's guaranteed 5.3mil though. So even if you consider it a 1 year (and cut him next year) or keep him for 2 and pay him $9.5mil, he's getting that guaranteed money. If you're dropping Kevin White (which has a sunk cost of $5.2, then you're getting nothing for that $5.2 and you're paying Cam. Sure, White would get signed somewhere else, but who's going to pay him more than a million when he has zero production?

If you didn't take away from the current WR list, then Cam is still probably your 5th or 6th target option behind;

ARod
Gabriel
Miller
Burton
Shaheen
Cohen

and I'm not even counting White. I'm just saying there's not enough balls to go around to warrant paying him that much is all.

edit: Forgot you are probably talking about using the original round tender on him. To me that's still too much for a 1 year rental for a guy that deep on your depth chart.

That's still pretty much the definition of the sunk cost fallacy.

Anyways. The 2nd round tender on Cam was 2.9, so that's the relevant number for his cost because you have to assume that would be the route they would have taken if they weren't ok losing him.

If you don't think he is worth 2.9, Ryan Pace agrees. I see him as a #2 WR, and the second best WR on this team, and to me, that's worth 2.9 million. I like the rest of the receiving group though, so I think Pace has done a good job mitigate in that choice.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think AR has not been shooting his gun off in ANY drills.

I like the fact that Cam was an UDFA that worked his way up. He now has that .... "Show the BEARs brass his ass" mentality, motivating him in his 110% efforts in Rehab.

Wish I could say the same for AR.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
IT was just the order things were done with him. You would think talking to him first would have been a priority before moving on free agents, who, you basically got a replacement for one of them in the draft already.For all we know they did and the meeting did not go well, and there is no doubt that with White already have their injury concern at receiver. Now giving AR big money with an injury kind of contradicts that, but its the basic luck of this franchise to get a draft steal, turn him into a receiver and then lose him.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
From what I gather it's a question of, was he expected to be this far along in his recovery at this time. From what I read, he was not, putting him ahead of schedule.

This was all covered in the OP. Read more, post less.

I won’t bother hunting it down but I said Aeons ago that signing cam should have nothing to do with his injury due to when he injured it. ACL’s can be rehabbed in 9-12 months back to ready to go.

There’s inherent risk to training on an ACL from 6-9 months as the knee will feel fine and ready to go but the replaced ligament is still becoming stronger during that time.

It’s humanly impossible to speed the process up any faster than 9 months at least with current science. What I am getting at here is that the statement that a person is ‘ahead of schedule’ during this 6-9 month period is ignorant to make. If you desire further educating I can.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Allen Robinson on the field doing any kind of drills? People here were saying that Meredith was behind Robinson’s recovery and might start on the PUP list.

Meredith was on 670 Score I think it was March and asked what timetable his DR's had for him being ready for full participation, he said they didn't know. AR stated in January his DR's said he'd be ready for TC.

As far as AR participating in drills in May does it matter, as long as he's sticking to his re-hab plan it shouldn't matter. Cam going half speed in drills in May Yep, I think you may be onto something Pro Bowl bound.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I won’t bother hunting it down but I said Aeons ago that signing cam should have nothing to do with his injury due to when he injured it. ACL’s can be rehabbed in 9-12 months back to ready to go.

There’s inherent risk to training on an ACL from 6-9 months as the knee will feel fine and ready to go but the replaced ligament is still becoming stronger during that time.

It’s humanly impossible to speed the process up any faster than 9 months at least with current science. What I am getting at here is that the statement that a person is ‘ahead of schedule’ during this 6-9 month period is ignorant to make. If you desire further educating I can.

I think I see one of your many problems here, you think you are arguing with me, you are not. The people you should be "educating" are Sean Payton and the Saints team Doctors, they are the ones that claimed Cam was "ahead of schedule". If you had bothered reading the link in the OP you would know that, but you didn't, you were in too much of a hurry to play pretend doctor/educator. Now go read the OP and educate yourself you pompous ass.

I love it when some random forum dweller thinks he knows more about medicine than actual medical professionals, and knows more about football than a SB winning coach.

I gotta remember this SugarWalls guy, clearly an idiot and amateur physician, a man not to be taken seriously.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This whole nonsense could be easily explained that perhaps the Saints medical staff is not as pedantic and cautious as the Bears medical staff. It's not even June yet FFS. Both coaches say their newly signed WRs coming off a season ending injury are ahead of schedule.

The hand wringing on these boards is unreal.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I think I see one of your many problems here, you think you are arguing with me, you are not. The people you should be "educating" are Sean Payton and the Saints team Doctors, they are the ones that claimed Cam was "ahead of schedule". If you had bothered reading the link in the OP you would know that, but you didn't, you were in too much of a hurry to play pretend doctor/educator. Now go read the OP and educate yourself you pompous ass.

I love it when some random forum dweller thinks he knows more about medicine than actual medical professionals, and knows more about football than a SB winning coach.

I gotta remember this SugarWalls guy, clearly an idiot and amateur physician, a man not to be taken seriously.

They say ahead of schedule to be positive and explain things to you peons. I didn’t realize Sean Payton was a medical doctor. I guess being a SB winning coach means you know something about surgery and rehab.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They say ahead of schedule to be positive and explain things to you peons. I didn’t realize Sean Payton was a medical doctor. I guess being a SB winning coach means you know something about surgery and rehab.

The doctors evaluated their patient, examined his knee, then shared their opinions with the HC. Being a SB winning head coach Payton is smart enough to listen to the doctors and trust his eyes. You are a know nothing chump, no knowledge, no information to base anything on, just another goof on the internet pretending to be something he is not.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This whole nonsense could be easily explained that perhaps the Saints medical staff is not as pedantic and cautious as the Bears medical staff. It's not even June yet FFS. Both coaches say their newly signed WRs coming off a season ending injury are ahead of schedule.

The hand wringing on these boards is unreal.

Nothing to see here, it sounds like both guys are coming along fine, so far so good, I hope they both bounce back nicely. I am more likely to believe professionals (even with agendas) than know nothing web randos.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The doctors evaluated their patient, examined his knee, then shared their opinions with the HC. Being a SB winning head coach Payton is smart enough to listen to the doctors and trust his eyes. You are a know nothing chump, no knowledge, no information to base anything on, just another goof on the internet pretending to be something he is not.

I can’t even explain to you how stupid you are.

If you want for me to try to teach you tissue biomechanics and the life cycle of type I collagen I’m going to need a couple of months.

So just go ahead and continue to be a lemming. It’s fine. Meredith is ahead of schedule.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Difference is the Bears don't want their guy risking a false step causing a re-injury on something that obviously isn't fully healed yet and NO was willing to. Ahead of schedule means more about leg strength and mobility than the healing of the surgery. The odds are that you will get away with it at this point but the better question is why take an unnecessary risk? It's a silly way to prove anything.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Difference is the Bears don't want their guy risking a false step causing a re-injury on something that obviously isn't fully healed yet and NO was willing to. Ahead of schedule means more about leg strength and mobility than the healing of the surgery. The odds are that you will get away with it at this point but the better question is why take an unnecessary risk? It's a silly way to prove anything.

Exactly this. Putting a helmet on and moving through non-contact drills at half speed proves absolutely nothing.