Can Murphy be the best defensive player in this draft?

Luke

Liked Posts:
I agree with quite a bit of this article.
I wonder where Murphy fits on Poles board.
It's not difficult to imagine Flusy pounding the table for him.

Laiatu Latu’s tape is fantastic. Of the three edges, his tape is better than both Dallas Turner and Jared Verse’s. But the Bears need a blue-chipper to hit with this ninth pick, and I am just too scared that Latu’s neck trouble could become an issue for him moving forward.

I like Verse a lot less than the experts. I don’t love Verse’s bend, and I think he’s going to have some limitations at the next level. I expect Verse to be good, but I’m not sure I see a blue chip stud personally.

Turner is my favorite edge of this group. Turner needs to add a little more strength, but he’s a playmaker that just spends a lot of time in the backfield when you watch his game. He feels like he has the potential to become a true gamewrecker.

Murphy gets off blockers smoothly, consistently collapses the pocket on quarterbacks but also is a disruptive force in the running game. His motor doesn’t shut off all game long.

If all three of the top receivers are off the board, the ideal move for Ryan Poles would be to trade back and select Murphy, but if no trade partners are available and the Bears are forced to pick at nine. If they want to add to Flus’ defense, Murphy is the way to go.

I know this means absolutely squat but….a poor man’s AD?

Aaron Donald @ the combine:
6'1", 285 lbs, 1.63 10-yard, 35 bench reps, 32" vert, 115" broad hump

Murphy @ the combine:
6'1", 297 lbs, 1.69 10-yard, 28 bench reps, 33" vert, 111" broad hump.

Texas DT Byron Murphy is the best defensive player in 2024 NFL Draft - Windy City Gridiron

msadows

Liked Posts:
Sure,

But i'd be shocked if the bears draft him.

Lemme repeat this again, the disrespect that gervon dexter gets on this board is laughable. He was very good at the end of last year, even outplaying the godlike generational prospect fatboi carter.

Why they would be looking at DT when they have two legit starters instead of DE where they have 1 makes zero sense.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Gervon is not a legitimate starter currently. He was bad against the run and was absolutely terrible in the last game against GB, causing all those good feelings to fly right out the window. He's still got huge upside but is currently a rotational quality player that seems to lack natural instincts on the field

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I still like Newton as DT1 in the draft - hes close to as disruptive as murphy while being a much better finisher. Hopefully the pinky toe injury heals, foot injuries for big and/or tall men are bad but I've always thought the pinky toe was one of the least important parts of the foot for athletics. I dont like either DT at 9 though.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Gervon is not a legitimate starter currently. He was bad against the run and was absolutely terrible in the last game against GB, causing all those good feelings to fly right out the window. He's still got huge upside but is currently a rotational quality player that seems to lack natural instincts on the field

Yes he is, and no rookie will outplay him. DT's rarely make an impact year one. Most of the great ones dont come on until year 3-4

If you wanted a better DT they should have signed one in FA, not draft one.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Don't overthink it, go edge so you have actual pressure on 3rd downs.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I’m all for Latu. But if they move down, then Murphy it is for me. If Murphy can take over and just do what Jones did last year, great. That alone was enough for the defense to become 1st in the league after the Sweat trade. That’s with nothing on the other end. So that is enough to have a really good defense.

If poles thinks Dexter is ready to be that guy to replicate Jones, then you go get Latu.

Either way, you need these two combinations on the D-line to work. Either you need this: A good DT and a good DE with 1 below average DE and a 1 below average NT or 2 good DEs with 2 below average inter D - linemen. Either one works. Now if you can hit on draft picks and have better than below average players for those 2 spots, that works out better.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I’m all for Latu. But if they move down, then Murphy it is for me. If Murphy can take over and just do what Jones did last year, great. That alone was enough for the defense to become 1st in the league after the Sweat trade. That’s with nothing on the other end. So that is enough to have a really good defense.

If poles thinks Dexter is ready to be that guy to replicate Jones, then you go get Latu.

Either way, you need these two combinations on the D-line to work. Either you need this: A good DT and a good DE with 1 below average DE and a 1 below average NT or 2 good DEs with 2 below average inter D - linemen. Either one works. Now if you can hit on draft picks and have better than below average players for those 2 spots, that works out better.

I actually think latu will slip due to the medicals, murphy should go ahead of him. If they trade down to the mid-late teens i'd love latu there.

It just reminds me of the Tev situation where on talent he seemed to be a lock to be a top 20 pick, but slipped due to injury concerns(Which were legitimate)

Play walker on 1st and 2nd, then shift him inside while playing latu on 3rd.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I actually think latu will slip due to the medicals, murphy should go ahead of him. If they trade down to the mid-late teens i'd love latu there.

It just reminds me of the Tev situation where on talent he seemed to be a lock to be a top 20 pick, but slipped due to injury concerns(Which were legitimate)

Play walker on 1st and 2nd, then shift him inside while playing latu on 3rd.
This, but I’m good with Turner too.
I loved Flus moving the linemen around last year. That really fucked w/ the offenses plans and I hope he keeps doing it. He obviously seems to like large athletic guys all over the line that can switch positions.

msadows

Liked Posts:
This, but I’m good with Turner too.
I loved Flus moving the linemen around last year. That really fucked w/ the offenses plans and I hope he keeps doing it. He obviously seems to like large athletic guys all over the line that can switch positions.

I like turner just dont know if he fits flus's scheme. I'm also football stupid so maybe he does. Not like verse is that much bigger than him either.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i dont think latu can be a 4-3 DE, hes too weak against the run his pass rush game is all about speed, he has no bull rush to speak of. him getting beat up by fuaga says it all. to add on on top of that one of the doctors has said latu is similar to vander esche who had his career cut short. hes def not a candidate at 9. turner is the best fit for the bears...i think murphy could be a stud but not at 9.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Sure,

But i'd be shocked if the bears draft him.

Lemme repeat this again, the disrespect that gervon dexter gets on this board is laughable. He was very good at the end of last year, even outplaying the godlike generational prospect fatboi carter.

Why they would be looking at DT when they have two legit starters instead of DE where they have 1 makes zero sense.
I could see Murphy grading out higher than either Verse or Latu on the Bears board. If that is the case, you draft him. Now since Murphy does not fit every defense, he probably will fall to the mid-first round. Trade with the Saints take Murphy and use the next two picks for a WR and a DE.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Yes he is, and no rookie will outplay him. DT's rarely make an impact year one. Most of the great ones dont come on until year 3-4

totally agree

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
i dont think latu can be a 4-3 DE, hes too weak against the run his pass rush game is all about speed, he has no bull rush to speak of. him getting beat up by fuaga says it all. to add on on top of that one of the doctors has said latu is similar to vander esche who had his career cut short. hes def not a candidate at 9. turner is the best fit for the bears...i think murphy could be a stud but not at 9.
Turner is smaller than Latu.

The best fit for the Bears is Verse, like it or not.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Agree and also agree on the fact that he was only a rookie so there's plenty of room to grow but to be good at pass rushing from the inside you need to have a really good get off and he didn't have one when we drafted him (bottom five 10 yard split at the combine at 1.81) and didn't seem to me like it was any better at the end of the year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I still like Newton as DT1 in the draft - hes close to as disruptive as murphy while being a much better finisher. Hopefully the pinky toe injury heals, foot injuries for big and/or tall men are bad but I've always thought the pinky toe was one of the least important parts of the foot for athletics. I dont like either DT at 9 though.
I think i have Murphy as my #1 but really big fan of Newton as well and we all know how Poles loves his in state guys with Newton playing at Illinois.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

We all say the same thing about TE's but there are plenty of them that do produce in year one just like Sam Laporta did last year.