Can Murphy be the best defensive player in this draft?

msadows

Liked Posts:
We all say the same thing about TE's but there are plenty of them that do produce in year one just like Sam Laporta did last year.

Look at all the DT's who got paid this past offseason, then look up what they did their first couple years in the league.

Obviously there are outliers, but I don't expect a rookie DT to put dexter on the bench. Even if some don't think it, he came on strong near the end of the year. Him and billings are a good duo, just need to fix edge.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Look at all the DT's who got paid this past offseason, then look up what they did their first couple years in the league.

Obviously there are outliers, but I don't expect a rookie DT to put dexter on the bench. Even if some don't think it, he came on strong near the end of the year. Him and billings are a good duo, just need to fix edge.
I think there are enough snaps for Gervon to comfortably live with a high drafted DT in Flus' defense if the Bears go that route. Billings is a true nose that you dont want on the field on passing downs - he was only on the field about 45% of snaps and really it was only that many because of how bad the DT depth was. Dexter played 40% but you probably want him over 50% as a sophomore. Flus scheme does a ton of wide fronts on anything longer than 3rd and 6 so your "NT" in this defense is lined up as a 3T or even 5T on 3rd and long just as much as he is at 1T - you could easily have Gervon and Murphy/Newton both on the field at the same time for meaningful snaps.

With that said I still think at some point Poles just takes the layup and drafts Odunze at 9, or Verse if Odunzes gone - maybe a 1-2 spot tradedown and then Verse. At some point you get too cute trying to minmax draft return.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really prefer OFF vs DEF at #9.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I don't think anyone thinks if we draft a 3T in the 1st round that it will put Dexter on the bench but he will instantly go into a rotation with Dexter at 3T. Dexter can play the 1T as well so he can rotate with the new guy and Billings.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
I don't really understand how this guy is better than Johnny Newton as a prospect. He had better production in a tougher conference and did it for at least two seasons at a high level, and they are the same age. What's the thought process here, I don't know much about Murphy?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I don't really understand how this guy is better than Johnny Newton as a prospect. He had better production in a tougher conference and did it for at least two seasons at a high level, and they are the same age. What's the thought process here, I don't know much about Murphy?
Im also in the Newton as DT1 camp but to me the thing Murphy has over basically every other DL or edge in the draft is how he moves. Hes pound for pound the most sudden and explosive mover on defense in the draft imo and it really shows if you watch back of end zone film - OL cant stay in front of him on pass rushes. He combines that with a bit of a "fire hydrant build" where hes stouter than most of the super agile pass rushing DTs we see come out so people love the size and movement skills.

Theres a lot to love he is a great prospect, but I think sometimes hes almost too fast for his body as when he gets going down hill hes going to keep going down hill - he has very little bend when he can win a rep so bad he gets an unimpeded path to the QB because he cant stop his own 297 lbs. at full speed in case the QB side steps him. That imo is a big part of why his advanced stats like pass rush win rate or whatever are so good but then he doesnt have the total production behind it, there was a ton of penetration that led to a shifted QB and being washed out of the play. Old saying though is disruption is its own production so many people are happy to hang their hat on a disruptive guy that needs work on finishing. Or maybe just get a sick edge to clean up 10 sacks a season that Murphy does the hard work on to create, whatever.

I dont know wtf this youtuber is but he had the most back of endzone tape i could find in a hurry, just mute it and watch:

Last edited:

Luke

Liked Posts:

here's DJ's take on both. Perhaps the bolded helps distinguish them from a scouts eye.

19. Murphy

Murphy is a very explosive, nimble and instinctive defensive tackle. He is a dynamic disruptor against the pass game. He explodes out of his stance and can roll his hips on contact, creating instant push. He consistently gets underneath blockers and prevails in the leverage battle. He has quick hands to win with swipe moves, a push/pull maneuver or a violent club. Once he feels a blocker leaning left or right, he has elite change-of-direction quickness. Against the run, he can utilize his quickness to penetrate and create negative plays. He also has incredible balance to take on blocks while going to one knee before uncoiling and making plays. (I haven't seen anyone else use this technique before, but it's very effective.) He has plenty of range to make plays laterally. Overall, Murphy might lack ideal size, but he's a leverage machine who makes an impact on all three downs.

32. Newton

Newton is a slightly undersized defensive tackle with quick and powerful hands. As a pass rusher, he has shock in his mitts to jolt blockers. He mixes up his moves to generate sacks/pressures, routinely employing a violent club/swim and a quick-swipe maneuver. He also incorporates a Houdini-like move where he sticks his hand out and gets OTs to lunge at it before pulling it away and clearing the block. He isn't a loose, nimble rusher due to some hip tightness. Against the run, he generates knock-back at the point of attack and gives effort to chase plays down the line. Overall, Newton lacks ideal lower-body flexibility, but he's a very skilled rusher and holds up versus the run.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Sure,

But i'd be shocked if the bears draft him.

Lemme repeat this again, the disrespect that gervon dexter gets on this board is laughable. He was very good at the end of last year, even outplaying the godlike generational prospect fatboi carter.

Why they would be looking at DT when they have two legit starters instead of DE where they have 1 makes zero sense.
2 legit starters? I mean wtf are you even talking about here

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sure,

But i'd be shocked if the bears draft him.

Lemme repeat this again, the disrespect that gervon dexter gets on this board is laughable. He was very good at the end of last year, even outplaying the godlike generational prospect fatboi carter.

Why they would be looking at DT when they have two legit starters instead of DE where they have 1 makes zero sense.
I'm extremely happy with Dexter but want to see Murphy next to him. Dexter is now good off the snap and a real force but Murphy has special twitch and hands. Can be that low missile this D thrives upon. Can't teach Dexter's size and strength. Together they'd raise hell.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:

You don’t draft players for one year.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Billings was good last year, dexter was good the 2nd half.

They have no one at all to fit the other DE spot.
This is still where I would take the best defensive lineman rather than just look at a positional need DE. I would then trust Poles to fill in the need for DE later in the draft, or through what is left in free agency or even a trade.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I dont mind if they draft him, I'd just be surprised if they take another tackle since they technically have a 4 man rotation there already

I've been waiting for poles to sign someone to fill the massive gap at edge but there is like no one left. Guess they'll bring back yannick?
This is still where I would take the best defensive lineman rather than just look at a positional need DE. I would then trust Poles to fill in the need for DE later in the draft, or through what is left in free agency or even a trade.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I dont mind if they draft him, I'd just be surprised if they take another tackle since they technically have a 4 man rotation there already

I've been waiting for poles to sign someone to fill the massive gap at edge but there is like no one left. Guess they'll bring back yannick?
You could do worse than bring Yannick back, or I think Josh Sweat is still a trade option after the draft from the Eagles. Wouldn't mind a couple of Sweaty DE's.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Billings was good last year, dexter was good the 2nd half.

They have no one at all to fit the other DE spot.
So you are saying:
29 year old Billings = Good.
22 year old Dexter = Good.

Why not trade the older guy then and draft a fresh one who is only 21 at this moment. And you know he is going to be at least be good but we all know he is going to be a force. Use Billings plus a future pick to get a pick in the draft to draft a DE. Then you got a power house in Murphy and a DE that’s better than anything we have on the roster. Worst case, Murphy turns out to “Good” only. We still win because it’s the same where we were but got younger.

21 year old Muphy = Good
22 year old Dexter = Good

Potential:

21 year old Muphy = Great
22 year old Dexter = Above average

At least entertain the idea and see what can come about it. If nothing, the it is what it is. If some thing does open up? Then fantastic.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So you are saying:
29 year old Billings = Good.
22 year old Dexter = Good.

Why not trade the older guy then and draft a fresh one who is only 21 are this moment. And you know he is good to be at least good but we all know he is going to be a force. Use Billings plus a future pick to get a pick in the draft to draft a DE. Then you got a power house in Murphy and a DE that’s better than anything we have On the roster. Worst case, Murphy turns out to “Good” only. We still win because it’s the same where we were but got younger.

21 year old Muphy = Good
22 year old Dexter = Good

Potential:

21 year old Muphy = Great
22 year old Dexter = Above average

At least entertain the idea and see what can come about it. If nothing, the it is what it is. If some thing does open up?l, then fantastic.
@IBleedBearsBlood , I liked this even though it came without another mock draft. 😂