Chad Ford's 2010 Free Agency Numbers

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Chad Ford wrote an ESPN piece on 2010 free agency, and here were the estimates he came up with for how much tema's have to spend in 2010 free agency.

1. New Jersey: $25-27 million
2. New York: $24 million
3. Miami: $20-22 million (includes Super Mario Chalmers, Beasley, and Wade staying)
4. Minnesota; $16-18 million
------Cut off of teams able to offer 7 year vet a max contract--------
5. Oklahoma City: $14-15 million
6. Chicago: $13-15 million (No Tyrus)
7. Houston: $12-14 million (No T-Mac)
8. LA Clippers: $8-9 million
9. Sacramento Kings: $9-10 million

So only four teams would be able to offer a true max contract for a 7 year vet under Ford's projected cap of $53.6 million.

What do we see because of this? Dwyane Wade is staying in Miami. He can make by far the most money in Miami, and they seem to have one of the best futures out of the 9 teams that have cap space this summer.

Where does that leave Lebron James and Chris Bosh? I think Lebron James either re-signs in Cleveland, or goes to Miami and joins D-Wade. If Lebron doesn't go to Miami, which I think is what will happen, Chris Bosh goes to Miami.

So now we take Miami out of the free agent equation.

We're left with New Jersey, New York, Minnesota as teams that can offer the max, and then Chicago and OKC as near-max teams.

The top remianing free agents would be Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce (if he opts out), Ray Allen, Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Redd (if he opts out), Richard Jefferson (if he opts out), and Carlos Boozer.

I think we can narrow this list down even more. Paul Pierce is probably a lifelong Celtic and Ray Allen is probably staying in Boston as well. Dirk Nowitzki is probably a lifelong Maverick.

So I think the list comes out to something like:

1. Amare Stoudemire
2. Joe Johnson
3. Carlos Boozer
4. Michael Redd
5. Richard Jefferson

as the free agents for the remaining eight teams to pursue (New Jersey, New York, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Chicago, Houston, LA Clippers, and Sacramento).

So where does this leave the Bulls? Are they willing to commit maximum money to any of those guys? If they aren't, they will probably lose out on those guys. I only see one max player on that list, and that's Amare Stoudemire, and by all reports, the Bulls don't seem too keen on giving Amare a big extension.

New Jersey/New York have based their rebuilding plans around 2010, so you know they're going to spend their money. Minnesota is probably going to spend their money too, to address the shooting guard position.

So what I think we can happen is that New York, New Jersey, OKC, and Chicago all put their bid in for Amare Stoudemire. I think Amare goes to where he can get the most money. If Salmons doesn't opt out, we will easily be beaten out in this regard.

So say New York signs Amare Stoudemire.

That leaves you with a free agent outlook of:

1. Joe Johnson
2. Carlos Boozer
3. Michael Redd
4. Richard Jefferson

With New Jersey, Minnesota, OKC, Chicago, and Houston as the guys who can offer really big contracts. Overpaying is the name of the game in free agency. So I think we'll see New Jersey and Minnesota and maybe Houston offering Joe Johnson the big money and OKC and maybe New Jersey/Houston (depending on Johnson outcome) offering Carlos Boozer a really big contract.

So 2010 free agency basically comes down to the question of this for the Bulls:

Do the Bulls want to commit near-max money to a 29 year old (34 at the end of the contract) shooting guard who averaged 21.4 PPG on 53.4 TS% who has less DWS than the previous "horrible defender" shooting guard, despite playing in 225 games? or an oft-injured power forward who just had a bad 16.2 PPG on 52.3 TS% season who is the same age as that shooting guard, who may never return to his allstar form because he's suffered too many injuries.

I don't mind taking a risk on a guy like Carlos Boozer when we're sending out expiring contracts for him. I do have a problem with locking a guy like Boozer up longterm for big money, while sacrificing various assets in the process (Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas, the usability of our expiring contracts in a trade for longterm talent) to get said player.

We could have had Ben Gordon back at $9 million a year. Maybe around $11.5 million a year if we chose to re-sign him this year.

So what would you rather have, Ben Gordon at $69 million/6 years ($57.5 million/5 years converted to 5 year scale), or Joe Johnson/Carlos Boozer at $15.66 million a year ($78.3 million/5 years).

I know which one I would rather have. Ben Gordon at that price (granted I'd take Gordon at $15.66 million over those guys too) over those guys. Gordon's not only a lot cheaper option, but we have a lot more flexibility toward building a championship team (keeping Tyrus Thomas, using MLE's, and leveraging expiring contracts in trade) than we do going the free agency and signing Johnson/Boozer (or worse!) route.

I think in order for the 2010 plan to be a success, the Bulls need to sign either Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, or Amare Stoudemire. (To a lesser extent Dirk Nowitzki and Yao Ming, which I find unlikely, because I don't see Dirk leaving the Mavs, and Yao Ming is probably not opting out after sitting out the year with injury...not to mention that Yao may be a bad player when he comes back, which would not make the 2010 free agency a success by signing him).

If we don't get one of those 4 (or 6 including Dirk, and a Yao who makes a full recovery), then we essentially will have a player who is equal to Gordon at best...only on a lot bigger contract, while taking away a lot of flexibility in team building.

Unfortunately for the Bulls, everything rides on Salmons. I think Salmons will have a declined year, and choose not to opt out, and hope for a better economy in 2011 free agency. If Salmons opts out, the Bulls become playes for Wade/Lebron/Bosh/Amare. If Salmons opts in, then the writing is already on the wall, and the Bulls will not get one of those four guys, and 2010 free agency will be a bust for the Bulls.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
Re:Chad For's 2010 Free Agency Numbers

According to your outlook, we will never get the Superstar to mesh with Rose. When you start thinking about the bad, proven annually, that person never gets a good outcome. Hell, every player has a downside in FA [except Lebron James] so I don't want to hear that B.S. about Amare is questionable and Boozer is questionable, too. Bottom line is this, if you need a guy that has your fondness, then you go get him; unless you feel another athlete on the market is more of an investment. You guys kill me with that Gar Forman don't want to give Boozer the max - I tell you this much, if Rose isn't getting the help he needs just say goodbye to number 1. It's a business, not the Paxson brothers' show. Fuck off.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:

The Bulls will have the cap space to sign a max free agent. I have no doubt that Thomas will be gone, and Salmons is worth more than what he's going to be on the books for in 2010. So the problem is not if the Bulls will have the ability to sign a max free agent. The problem is whether or not they'll be attractive enough to get one of the top free agents to sign.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

JimmyBulls wrote:
The Bulls will have the cap space to sign a max free agent. I have no doubt that Thomas will be gone, and Salmons is worth more than what he's going to be on the books for in 2010. So the problem is not if the Bulls will have the ability to sign a max free agent. The problem is whether or not they'll be attractive enough to get one of the top free agents to sign.

How can you be so certain? Salmons seems like a mle guy. The MLE would be a paycut from the last year on his deal and there will be a lot of FA's ahead of him next year. A lot of guys will be getting the MLE next year and he might just want to wait another year, his value won't fluctuate.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:

I believe 2010 is going to be a outright spending frenzy, where guys get their market value or probably a little above their market value. Salmons is on the books for 5,808,000 in 2010. I have to believe he will get at least 6.5 per season on the market, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him sign for 7.5-8 million per season.

If Salmons was making 6,600,000(like Jerome James), I could wrap my head around him opting into his final contract year. But at 5,808,000, I think it's pretty much a lock that he'll look to get his last sizeable pay day. The only thing that would chnge my mind is if Salmons' game goes into the tank. Personally, I consider that to be highly unlikely. Salmons still have a lot of good basketball in him, and he will opt to cash in.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

JimmyBulls wrote:
I believe 2010 is going to be a outright spending frenzy, where guys get their market value or probably a little above their market value. Salmons is on the books for 5,808,000 in 2010. I have to believe he will get at least 6.5 per season on the market, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him sign for 7.5-8 million per season.

If Salmons was making 6,600,000(like Jerome James), I could wrap my head around him opting into his final contract year. But at 5,808,000, I think it's pretty much a lock that he'll look to get his last sizeable pay day. The only thing that would chnge my mind is if Salmons' game goes into the tank. Personally, I consider that to be highly unlikely. Salmons still have a lot of good basketball in him, and he will opt to cash in.

There's only a small amount of teams with cap space. It will probably be a spending frenzy for those 9 teams, but other teams without cap space won't have money to throw around. Maybe some contenders give out some MLE deals.

There are enough free agents in line next year, that Salmons won't be one of the guys to get more than the MLE. MLE is probably the best case scenario for Salmons either next year, or the year after. His option for next year is higher than what the MLE will be, so that might be an incentive to take that contract.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:

You can't look at teams cap situation now as a snapshot of what's going to be the reality next off season. That's the same mistake a lot of people made when they thought BG wouldn't get paid. There will be teams with more than enough capspace to give Salmons the 6.5-8 millions he's looking to sign for. It's not like he's going to ask for max money or anything close. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a Hawk if JJ decides to sign elsewhere.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

JimmyBulls wrote:
You can't look at teams cap situation now as a snapshot of what's going to be the reality next off season. That's the same mistake a lot of people made when they thought BG wouldn't get paid. There will be teams with more than enough capspace to give Salmons the 6.5-8 millions he's looking to sign for. It's not like he's going to ask for max money or anything close. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a Hawk if JJ decides to sign elsewhere.

If they lose JJ, they are going into a full scale rebuild. JJ setups their whole offense and Salmons wouldn't be able to help with that at all.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:

If the Hawks lose Johnson they'll be in the market for a new scorer, and Salmons is a good scorer. There is no way in hell the Hawks would opt to blow up their roster.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

JimmyBulls wrote:
If the Hawks lose Johnson they'll be in the market for a new scorer, and Salmons is a good scorer. There is no way in hell the Hawks would opt to blow up their roster.

You can't build a offense around John Salmons, ask Sacramento where that got them? Joe Johnson is their franchise player, they will blow up their roster if they lose him, the only keepers are probably Hortford, Williams and maybe Smith.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:

When did the Kings try to build a offense around John Salmons? That's like saying the Bulls are building their offense around Loul Deng.

Salmons is a guy that can score, and if you lose scoring production you have to get someone who can put up numbers to replace that production. I didn't say it was likely, but as I did say, I wouldn't be shocked. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Salmons sign with the Knicks. It's highly unlikely they'll be able to sign two max level stars. So Salmons could be on their radar as a cheaper option. I'm not sure how much capspace they'll have since they dropped the ball by not trading away Jefferies and Nate to the Kings though.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:

ok, that's 3/5 of your starting lineup you're keeping. they're not gonna just get rid of their whole bench because they lose joe johnson. they might try to test their luck with a younger pg, and then sign a scorer, but they're not going to basically just blow up their bench because joe johnson leaves...

TheStig

Liked Posts:

JimmyBulls wrote:
When did the Kings try to build a offense around John Salmons? That's like saying the Bulls are building their offense around Loul Deng.

Salmons is a guy that can score, and if you lose scoring production you have to get someone who can put up numbers to replace that production. I didn't say it was likely, but as I did say, I wouldn't be shocked. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Salmons sign with the Knicks. It's highly unlikely they'll be able to sign two max level stars. So Salmons could be on their radar as a cheaper option. I'm not sure how much capspace they'll have since they dropped the ball by not trading away Jefferies and Nate to the Kings though.

Uh, the bulls did try to build their offense around deng a couple of years ago. He was the second leading scorer and supposed young potential superstar to our org. Salmons was the kings offense when Martin was out in the beginning of the year. It was so bad, Theus got fired. Don't get me wrong, Salmons is a good player, but no team in the league can replace their best scorer with him and hope for anything more than the lottery. Espically a team that relies on someone as much as JJ to facilitate the offense.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

bullsman24 wrote:
ok, that's 3/5 of your starting lineup you're keeping. they're not gonna just get rid of their whole bench because they lose joe johnson. they might try to test their luck with a younger pg, and then sign a scorer, but they're not going to basically just blow up their bench because joe johnson leaves...

I really hope your kidding, right? They are going to try to keep such greats as crawford, evans, and Mario West? 3.5 of their starting lineup is a lot and what young pg are you talking about Jeff Teague? Lol. Atlanta is built around JJ and he is that team, without him they are just a mish mosh of underachievers. They wouldn't make it out of the lottery with or without Salmons. They would need another all star and they barely got JJ there. They wouldn't have max cap space and anything less than JJ would cost them the playoffs.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

There was a lot of talk on national TV about the Hawks needing to choose between Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, as the two apparently can't co-exist.

Given Smith is locked into a fixed price, if they do choose between the two, I think that will be the direction they go.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:

TheStig wrote:
JimmyBulls wrote:

Uh, the bulls did try to build their offense around deng a couple of years ago. He was the second leading scorer and supposed young potential superstar to our org. Salmons was the kings offense when Martin was out in the beginning of the year. It was so bad, Theus got fired. Don't get me wrong, Salmons is a good player, but no team in the league can replace their best scorer with him and hope for anything more than the lottery. Espically a team that relies on someone as much as JJ to facilitate the offense.

Deng was a important producer, but I don't think Skiles or Vinny's scheme was mainly focusing on getting him off.

A team is building a offense around a player when the main guy on offense is injured? That makes no sense. I know what Joe Johnson brings to the table, but let's not act as if the Hawks are going to look for some type of instant clone for him if he decides to bolt. When the talent changes, the team's offensive scheme is going to change as well.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

??? ?????? wrote:
There was a lot of talk on national TV about the Hawks needing to choose between Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, as the two apparently can't co-exist.

Given Smith is locked into a fixed price, if they do choose between the two, I think that will be the direction they go.

Smith has been on the outs with the Hawks for awhile and has had issues with Woodson. I doubt they pick him over their franchise player, you can be assusred they will match any offer for JJ. No one really wants Smith on his big deal.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

JimmyBulls wrote:
TheStig wrote:
JimmyBulls wrote:

Deng was a important producer, but I don't think Skiles or Vinny's scheme was mainly focusing on getting him off.

A team is building a offense around a player when the main guy on offense is injured? That makes no sense. I know what Joe Johnson brings to the table, but let's not act as if the Hawks are going to look for some type of instant clone for him if he decides to bolt. When the talent changes, the team's offensive scheme is going to change as well.

Skiles was focusing on getting Deng off in 06-07, he was our potential allstar, which is why he got his deal.

What makes no sense? Salmons was their go to guy when Martin was out. He can't lead an offense. JJ can. If they lose JJ, no one else on that team is able to create their own shot or create for others consistently like JJ can. If they lost JJ, they would rebuild, that team without him is a lottery team. You underestimate the value of allstars. If you take Wade off the heat, are they more than a lotto team?

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:

ok, you overestimate all stars. if you take jamal magloire off the heat, are they any more than a lotto team? i think so...

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:

Skiles offense was geared towards the concept of getting guys good looks on the perimeter. He ran a lot of deception with high pick and rolls, but ultimately the focus was on good looks on the perimeter. Even at his best Deng was more of a complementary glue guy, and not a guy that had our offense built around him. At best, what Skiles ran was geared towards a overall concept, and not one player. But if I had to choose a player that was the feature guy, I'd have to go with Ben Gordon. I say that because the offense was geared towards his strengths as a basketball player more than anybody.