Charles Leno just got Fitzmagic Injured..

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Damn, another big time L for the Pacesexuals. WE MISS YOU LENO!

All true but he would likely have been the Bears Leno on the Bear without that kick in his ass of getting cut. He's now playing for a contract, staying vertical and playing to the whistle.

That said, getting cut was not caused by his play as much as it was by the fucked up cap situation which Pacesexuals are still defending to this day. Whether this team would have been better with a healthy Jenkins or not, it would have been that much more better with Leno ready and waiting. I'm just happy I got to use 'more better' in a grammatically correct fashion.

mecha

Liked Posts:
All true but he would likely have been the Bears Leno on the Bear without that kick in his ass of getting cut. He's now playing for a contract, staying vertical and playing to the whistle.

That said, getting cut was not caused by his play as much as it was by the fucked up cap situation which Pacesexuals are still defending to this day. Whether this team would have been better with a healthy Jenkins or not, it would have been that much more better with Leno ready and waiting. I'm just happy I got to use 'more better' in a grammatically correct fashion.
seems to be a recurring theme with this team. like when Pace came in, the first act was to dump Marshall and blow a 1st round pick on Kevin White that wound up not only downgrading the position significantly, but it made Alshon Jeffery depressed and want to leave, and White wound up not doing shit ever. or in other words, take something that's useful, get rid of it, and spend draft/money capital to try and replace it and do worse.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
seems to be a recurring theme with this team. like when Pace came in, the first act was to dump Marshall and blow a 1st round pick on Kevin White that wound up not only downgrading the position significantly, but it made Alshon Jeffery depressed and want to leave, and White wound up not doing shit ever. or in other words, take something that's useful, get rid of it, and spend draft/money capital to try and replace it and do worse.
Marshall did his destructive thing the year before and that may have come from above and he had one more good year in him. Alshon is a #2 that got paid like a #1 at the time. I can't blame Pace for either and he signed AR for similar money to Alshon. He didn't create all the issues but it is his job to fix them and we've been light on WRs since he got here.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
So, the Bears saved 8 million in cap space and added depth and yet managed to get similar production and somehow this is an indictment on Pace?!?!

mecha

Liked Posts:
Marshall did his destructive thing the year before and that may have come from above and he had one more good year in him. Alshon is a #2 that got paid like a #1 at the time. I can't blame Pace for either and he signed AR for similar money to Alshon. He didn't create all the issues but it is his job to fix them and we've been light on WRs since he got here.
yes, that's my point. like his very first ever draft pick was a wide receiver and that failed catastrophically and has been a problem ever since.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I've adjusted my thoughts on Leno. I think he's okay. Not great, not terrible, just okay.

The larger issue with him is that he needs to be in an environment to pushes him. Washington is far from an OL factory, but based on him being previously cut, having a smaller contract and there being some youth behind him he's motivated to perform better. This can happen to anyone in the work place. We can say 'he's getting paid millions, so that's all the motivation he needs', but we also know that's not the case. Look at K-Aaron Rodgers. When made uncomfortable it fires up some internal fight and he raises his level of play.

So, then let's focus on what his situation was like in Chicago. Was there any competition? No. Were there financial incentives to be better? Not really. He did well enough a long time ago to get a bad contract then rode it out.

We can blame the player all we want, but what kind of GM creates just a cushy, non-competitive situation?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
So, the Bears saved 8 million in cap space and added depth and yet managed to get similar production and somehow this is an indictment on Pace?!?!
Well, they 'saved' $8M in cap space by cutting him, but then had a hole on the roster. That put them in a situation where they reached a bit on a player with medical red flags (Jenkins), then also had to sign a 39 year old FA.

Actually, taking a step back the Bears were extremely lucky that Peters held up for most of the season. When they signed him they had no starting left tackle and the market was really bare.

Truthfully, Leno's cap number for Washington this season is just under $4M. The team could have asked his agent to seek a trade (while also asking what his FA contract would look like). They bring that info back to Pace, he validates some things, then they renegotiate a deal, spreading that $8M cap hit over 2-3 more years.

When it comes to Pace along the OL all his decisions seem so reactive and rushed. There's no proactivity in restocking that area, which always has injuries. I think giving Massie and Leno big deals was a mistake. They ended up being very lucky that neither of those players missed significant time. Granted, neither was good, but there was no depth, so it actually could have been worse. It's not like Pace adopted those contracts or that OL depth situation. He created it, then did nothing to change it.

mecha

Liked Posts:
this thread is like herpes. it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Leno plays soft.

I will take borom or Jenkins over Leno any day right now. I get the jury still out on Jenkins, but he plays with enough aggression that I like him as a prospect better than the finished product of Leno.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Leno plays soft.

I will take borom or Jenkins over Leno any day right now. I get the jury still out on Jenkins, but he plays with enough aggression that I like him as a prospect better than the finished product of Leno.
You post soft