Cheating Astros GM and Manager suspended 1 year

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I get the sentiment for blood here but honestly the 1st/2nd round picks for 2 straight years is gonna FUCK them hard. For example, last year the cubs had all their picks and had roughly $5.8 mil they could spend in the draft. $3.8 mil of that came in the first two picks. So, they are left either pinning all their hopes on like one maybe 2 guys in those drafts or trying to spread the money around and finding gems. Thing is that usually just means you wind up with a lot of crap not talented enough to make the majors.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think most people recognize that Rose's punishment was grossly disproportionate and unfair.
Pete Rose’s punishment was absolutely appropriate. the worst thing that can possibly happen to baseball is cheating and betting on the games and Pete did it The rule is posted in every clubhouse players were warned about it forever he went ahead and did it

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Houston is dipping that world series trophy in a big ol’ vat of Tarn-X tonight.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Houston sports fans today: “Wow, that collapse by our team in the NFL playoffs was the worst of all time. It eclipsed the playoff collapse by our previous NFL team, which had been the worst ever. If only we had something to take our minds off of it.”

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
When the dust settles won't surprise me if Cora and Beltran's respective front offices fire them

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Quasi-Hot Take: this is toothless without players being suspended, and Hinch/Cora/Lunhow being able to get jobs again.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I'm a little curious about one thing. Why did Houston's owner wait until now to fire them? Is he suggesting that if they had been suspended for less time they wouldn't have been fired?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm a little curious about one thing. Why did Houston's owner wait until now to fire them? Is he suggesting that if they had been suspended for less time they wouldn't have been fired?
Are you asking why he waited to see if they were found guilty?

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
He was waiting on the final report by MLB....

With that said, uh oh Alex Cora soon to be ex Red Sox manager.

The report also stated that Cora “was involved in developing both the banging scheme and utilizing the replay review room to decode and transmit signs.”

Commissioner Rob Manfred said he was not commenting on Cora’s punishment as the Red Sox are still being investigated for using electronics to steal signs in 2018.

“Cora participated in both schemes, and through his active participation, implicitly condoned the players’ conduct,” Manfred wrote in his nine-page statement, which outed a lengthy list of wrongdoers. “I will withhold determining the appropriate level of discipline for Cora until after the DOI completes its investigation of the allegations that the Red Sox engaged in impermissible electronic sign stealing in 2018 while Cora was the manager.”

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Are you asking why he waited to see if they were found guilty?

Basically. Was he waiting/hoping they wouldn't be found guilty or just wanting to see if their suspension was less? The stain was already there.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
What's the justification in not vacating their title?

I would guess because you'd have to have all the other owners sign off on it. Then it would become a question of just exactly what would it take to have a title vacated. Like most pro sports punishments, it's about punishing the future.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He was waiting on the final report by MLB....

With that said, uh oh Alex Cora soon to be ex Red Sox manager.

The report also stated that Cora “was involved in developing both the banging scheme and utilizing the replay review room to decode and transmit signs.”

Commissioner Rob Manfred said he was not commenting on Cora’s punishment as the Red Sox are still being investigated for using electronics to steal signs in 2018.

“Cora participated in both schemes, and through his active participation, implicitly condoned the players’ conduct,” Manfred wrote in his nine-page statement, which outed a lengthy list of wrongdoers. “I will withhold determining the appropriate level of discipline for Cora until after the DOI completes its investigation of the allegations that the Red Sox engaged in impermissible electronic sign stealing in 2018 while Cora was the manager.”
The investigation of the Astros is complete. I don't get why they must complete the investigation of the Red Sox to impose penalties for Cora's involvement in the Astros cheating.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
The investigation of the Astros is complete. I don't get why they must complete the investigation of the Red Sox to impose penalties for Cora's involvement in the Astros cheating.

Perhaps they want to see if there should be any direct penalty to the Red Sox.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Red Sox were tagged once for Apple watches. Manfred could come down harder

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Good for Yu. I seem to recall noting a year or more ago that it seemed like the Astros were cheating, and I've wondered since the 2017 WS just exactly how Darvish was tipping his pitches.

Ron Darling made a good point yesterday on MLB Network, that there are pitchers out there who, either due to getting close to their ceiling or just because of some little glitch, are struggling to get their feet under them. A guy who is going well, making steady progress, and then gets shelled every time he faces "good teams" like the Red Sox and Astros, not only gets his confidence crapped on, but can find himself taking a trip to AAA that is not actually justified by problems that are his fault.

TBH, while Darvish is being very gracious, you gotta wonder if he was pushing too hard that first year with the Cubs, trying to prove the whole pitch-tipping thing was a fluke, fiddling with his mechanics and trying to throw too hard -- ending up on the shelf most of '18 and dealing with confidence issues for the first half of '19.

At the *very* least, the 2017 World Series plaque at Cooperstown needs an asterisk on it. Might yet need to add an asterisk to the 2018 WS plaque, as well. And when it gets down to needing to asterisk a championship as tainted, you cannot blame the League Office for imposing such harsh penalties.

On just a personal note, during spring training after their 2017 title, George Springer (ISTR) was asked why the Astros should expect to repeat, when a super-strong Cubs team that was expected to repeat in 2017 did not. "Because we've got better players, that's why!" was his smug response. So, the Cubs deserve a specific apology from Springer, and a rephrasing of his answer of the time to "Because we cheat and get away with it, that's why!" Either that or let a bunch of selected Cubs fans wipe that smirk off his face in 4K HD TV -- would be a nice feature to run on the new Marquee Network, LOL.

-Doug

p.s. -- yeah, been away for a while, but what has been taking my attention, my mother's illness, has resolved, she died last week. So, we'll see if I get back into posting here, once the funeral is all done and I need something to keep my mind off of things...