Checking in on Matt Patricia....

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So the source that Patricia is always late to team meetings?

Get this...

"an anonymous former player"

God the media...they really have no bottom.

Man you are white knighting hard

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His "skill" at evaluating QBs led him to drafting a man in the first round who couldn't throw a pass ten yards accurately. Fact.

He also tried to keep Jay once his deal for the QB he coached up in NE fell through. Jay forced that trade, not McD.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Get this...

He leaves on time but keeps tripping over his pant cuffs.
DZPv-wfVMAAVq4L.jpg

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Speaking of....

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Get this...

Unrelated, but I have a question Captnc0gnet0, Why does Patricia wear a pencil behind his ear when his play sheet is laminated? If a grown man wears a pencil as a fashion accessory, that is truly odd. Maybe he is always late because he has to try on so many pencils to find the right one to match his ensemble.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Someone needs to tell Captn that the Loins have had a Pats GM for several years now, working to help instill the Patriot culture in Detroit and bring in Pat type players. He kept Caldwell, who is anything but a pansy players coach, to help instill discipline. Likely planned to hire Pattycake's as HC at first opportunity.

So it's not like this is the 1st season of trying to instill a "Patriot culture". It's just that culture doesn't truly exist outside of Foxboro.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If Patricia feels like he knows more about football than sportswriters it is almost certainly 100% due to the fact that he does more about football than sportswriters. If he's frustrated at the fact they have hounded him since he got hired, including a borderline libelous digging up of a long-since discredited sexual assault allegation, and that has caused him to not like them or be dismissive of them I dont blame him one bit.

He hasn't been given the benefit of the doubt one second as Lions head coach and it has NOTHING to do with his record. They were after him like this when the Lions were 0-0. If the Lions had won the NFC North he would be telling them to shove it, but unfortunately for him the Lions are maybe the least talented team in the entire NFC, about tied with the likes of Arizona and San Francisco. Give Patricia the Bears roster and he probably goes 10-6 or so.

So....they had the gall to bring up his past when he was hired? How dare they! (In most cases, that would keep a person rom getting the job, but he got the job anyway, and somehow feels picked on. Got it.)

If your team hired a man who is tasked with turning around the team, and he feels like a victim because the press doesn't give him a free pass he has no right to.....you hired the wrong guy.

If you hired a head football coach with no self confidence....you hired the wrong guy.

If your coach feels the need to criticize a reporter for "not sitting up", while he himself can't get to a team meeting or press conference on time.....you hired the wrong guy.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The same thing is happening to Jon Gruden. The media just refuses to acknowledge the fact the Raiders have an obvious plan in place to and already there are signs of it working. Gruden's schemes and coaching is still 100% sharp, I know nobody watches the Raiders but if you do you'll notice they are an extremely well coached team that is simply bereft of any talent whatsoever.

Poor Gruden.

Took over a team without a great OLB or WR.

The larger point....I am willing to give a coach time. I don't judge a coach on his first year generally, especially since most take over poor teams.

Vrabel took over a team that made the playoffs under a knucklehead coach last year, and is likely going to miss the playoffs, but it doesn't look like he has been in over his head.

Frank Reich could miss (if Vrabel's team can beat his), and it would be due to his inexplicable decision to take a loss instead of a tie due to pride. But overall, it doesn't look like he is in over his head.

I don't think by any means people would consider Gruden in over his head. And nobody says he doesn't have coaching ability. The only criticism I have heard of Gruden is his insistence on trading away his two best players. I don't have a problem with coaches making personnel changes, and I typically admire a cocah who is willing to get rid of popular players if they are doing what they feel needs to be done, and are not afraid to take the heat in the short term. But in Gruden's case, it just smacks so much of "I will show everybody how smart I am!" that a lot of people see right through that. It's comical to read about Gruden not getting treated fairly, as this is a man whose accomplishments as a HC and a color analyst / "QB Guru" have been so greatly overblown it is unbelievable.

When it comes to Patricia, I haven't watched Detroit closely enough to make a judgement. All I know of the guy is that he has won half as many as they won last year, in a division that has a GB team that is struggling to win, and a Minnesota team that has underperformed (exactly opposite of your analysis of the NFC North). Patricia compounds poor on the field results with disrespectful, arrogant behavior. That, generally, is not a good mix.

Your excuses for him, hard feelings toward those who call him out for his behavior, and general butt hurt are surprising. How can anyone have that much invested in a new coach that they are as defensive of him as his spouse would be?

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Someone needs to tell Captn that the Loins have had a Pats GM for several years now, working to help instill the Patriot culture in Detroit and bring in Pat type players. He kept Caldwell, who is anything but a pansy players coach, to help instill discipline. Likely planned to hire Pattycake's as HC at first opportunity.

So it's not like this is the 1st season of trying to instill a "Patriot culture". It's just that culture doesn't truly exist outside of Foxboro.
Tried and failed soo many times. It's almost funny at this point everyone keeps trying when the evidence is clear. The amount of money Brady and BB have made people riding their coat tails is absurd.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This guy is routinely late to press conferences yet he has the audacity to tell a reporter to sit up straight. Lions got a real winner here.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lol, NcNooget has an alt account after losing his ban bet

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The difference between Andy Reid guys and Bill Belichick guys is, Andy Reid has taught his people that to be like him, they need to be smart, connect with their players, think innovatively. Bill Belichick’s people think to be like him, they need to, I don’t know, be an asshole to everyone, including their own players.

Belichick guys want to act like Belichick.

Reid guys want to *be* like Reid.

I think that might say something about the two guys.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The difference between Andy Reid guys and Bill Belichick guys is, Andy Reid has taught his people that to be like him, they need to be smart, connect with their players, think innovatively. Bill Belichick’s people think to be like him, they need to, I don’t know, be an asshole to everyone, including their own players.

Plus who truly respects a giant, fat guy?

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I think Patricia is in Detroit for the long haul. Lions knew this season they were at best going to finish, at best, third in the division and knew a rebuild was going to be on the horizon. Patriot GM hired a Patriot guys for HC to help build a culture similar to what they have in New England. No different than when NCAA teams hire Saban coaches. Patricia and the Lions were gonna have some rough years early on, but get the draft picks, build a team similar to "the Patriot way", or whatever and let Matt be in charge while this is unfolding and be the guy to lead the team once they're ready.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:

Belichick is not an asshole to his players. Common misconception.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
To Czar Nicholas^^^Man, I gotta disagree. I agree that management knows they’re stuck with Patricia for better or worse. They’re destined to go along for the ride no matter what.

But when people were talking about what the most attractive head coach opening was and who could have success immediately and make the playoffs in Year 1, the Lions and Colts were at the top of everyone’s list. There absolutely was a big contingent of people who thought this team could contend for a division title.

So what happened? What always happens. The season played out, and through the play on the field, the flaws and team issues become magnified and more apparent, revealing a team that’s much further away than people thought.

If you saw ahead of time that the Lions were going to be bad, congrats, you’re among the minority who were correct.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Belichick is not an asshole to his players. Common misconception.

But for some reason, his assistants are. It appears from the outside that they think being a dick to everyone is part of the Patriot Way, to say nothing of the reality of Belichick himself, I suppose.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I had them third in the division. They had some talent, but I didn' think it was enough to beat GM or MIN. I thought their ceiling was 9 wins and their floor was 6.