Chicago Cubs 2023-24 OFFSEASON thread

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends on if he will ever be able to pitch at an elite level again, which no one knows. Would rather have separate $200+ million players in a hitter and pitcher than unknown ohtani tbh

If ohtani gets hurt again you lose both

Lottery ticket, why not.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I can't help that you thought me putting in my post that it's the wrong board was in reference to your post. I wasn't implying your post was on the wrong board. I was announcing that mine was.
Well, that was clear as mud. 😂

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like he pushed up his trade value.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well it sounds like a 4 team market for Ohtani. LAD/LAA/Tex/CHC.

After that chip moves then the losers most likely will get into the Soto trade market. Soto graded as bad of a defender as Morel last year. And that says a lot.

But out of the box thinking I could see the Cubs targeting Soto if they come up short. Jed has traded with SDP. It will be a 1 year of control with a 33M price tag. Which makes me feel that he will try to lower the return because of cost and time of control.

This is kind of a reason why Soto I feel is not a thing. Jed could target Hoskins on a pillow from Boras. They worked it with Bellinger and it makes sense to address 1B this way.

Now a TOR target. This is where you could see a trade. I would personally want Jed to trade back Cease. He has the desired miss bat rate that he is looking for. Some control and a lower price tag. Center the deal around Morel and add in some pitching that the Sox need. This takes care of a counter to Steele at the top and bringing back a mistake deal that Jed did.

With these 2 holes filled. Jed has Canario to become the DH and 4th OF. He can play all 4 spots thus giving a break to the core.

What remains is a LH core hitter. Ohtani is the ideal piece. But he doesn't address 3B which is a opening. The Yanks seem to be in on Candelario's market.

So this is a glaring issue going in.

If you could remove the money issues the best scenario would be sign Ohtani. Sign Hoskins. There is your core hitters in the line up. Then sign Chapman, Trade away players for Cease. He has more control and holds a solid SO ratio. Wont cost the top prospects on hand.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'll give a early prediction league wise.

1. Cubs sign Ohtani.
2. Yanks sign Bellinger
3. Dodgers sign Snell
4. Yanks sign Cani. They needed a LH bat more and passed on Chapman.
5. Cubs trade Morel to TBR for Glasnow. Even deal as Rays want control and lose 25M Cubs need a 1 year fix for Ohtani to get past TJS.
6. Cubs trade Brown Mags and Alcantara to Guardians for Jose Ramirez

Then Cubs platoon Wisdom and Mervis at 1B until the deadline. Give both a opportunity to prove it with a deeper line up.

opening day:

SP Steele

2B Hoerner
LF Happ
3B J Ram
DH Ohtani
RF Suzuki
SS Swanson
1B Mervis
C Gomes
CF PCA

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'll give a early prediction league wise.

1. Cubs sign Ohtani.
2. Yanks sign Bellinger
3. Dodgers sign Snell
4. Yanks sign Cani. They needed a LH bat more and passed on Chapman.
5. Cubs trade Morel to TBR for Glasnow. Even deal as Rays want control and lose 25M Cubs need a 1 year fix for Ohtani to get past TJS.
6. Cubs trade Brown Mags and Alcantara to Guardians for Jose Ramirez

Then Cubs platoon Wisdom and Mervis at 1B until the deadline. Give both a opportunity to prove it with a deeper line up.

opening day:

SP Steele

2B Hoerner
LF Happ
3B J Ram
DH Ohtani
RF Suzuki
SS Swanson
1B Mervis
C Gomes
CF PCA
just a day or two ago you were anti ohtani and saying the cubs werent going there

CSF77

Liked Posts:
just a day or two ago you were anti ohtani and saying the cubs werent going there

I did state why my opinion changed and is still changing

Few things here.

Jed said no comment on Othani. That was a comment

Othani was interested in Atl. So he is over his West Coast only phase.

He is open to a shorter deal with a larger per year

So we could be talking about 45M per for 3 years and that opens up the market a bit

I do feel that the odds are against it but if it ever happens the time is now.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I did state why my opinion changed and is still changing

Few things here.

Jed said no comment on Othani. That was a comment

Othani was interested in Atl. So he is over his West Coast only phase.

He is open to a shorter deal with a larger per year

So we could be talking about 45M per for 3 years and that opens up the market a bit

I do feel that the odds are against it but if it ever happens the time is now.
its almost as if you should wait to formulate a coherent and well thought out opinion before just throwing one out there, yeah???

CSF77

Liked Posts:
its almost as if you should wait to formulate a coherent and well thought out opinion before just throwing one out there, yeah???
No at that time there was no word that Ohtani would consider leaving the West Coast. Life changes bro. Get used to it adapt or get run over

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It doesn't have to be a crystal ball thing or I'm right or I'm wrong thing. That is for children.

It is a evolving situation. Normally I would say 100% no because there is nothing that would make me believe otherwise.

But Ohtani is a unique situation. And the fact that he is open to change I can not say that Tom would be stingy with this.

Yet again my first instinct might be right but right now I'm pretty sure that Tom might get uncomfortable with payroll for a few years looking at a increase of revenue on the back end

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
No at that time there was no word that Ohtani would consider leaving the West Coast. Life changes bro. Get used to it adapt or get run over
or maybe dont declare things you know nothing about, inform yourself before coming to your "conclusions."

you dont have to make a prediction daily about it. you flip flop more than a politician for crying out loud

CSF77

Liked Posts:
or maybe dont declare things you know nothing about, inform yourself before coming to your "conclusions."

you dont have to make a prediction daily about it. you flip flop more than a politician for crying out loud

Not daily. The board goes dry for a few days. I make a post and next thing we have traffic.

I'm good for business