Chris Simms on Fields this week

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:

Chris Simms was on Under Center podcast this week talking about Fields. You can also listen on google podcasts if you want to avoid the commercials.
Was interesting discussion and most here know that Simms has been better than most experts in recent years on projection rookie QBs

Some highlights

- Had Kellon Mond Raned higher
- Fields has potentioal to be top 10 quarterback if he is able to overcome his shortcomings and has potential to be a special football player
- Fields is best running QB in draft class
- Arm is big time in terms of power but has issues in terms of consistency / variety of throws / lack of launch angles / needing more space in the pocket
- Throws using all arm sometimes unlike Brady/Mahomes/Rodgers that consistently set their feet correctly and use their body and this is not an easy fix
- Due to the above misses too many throws that should have been slam dunk completions

Sounds like his concern is that under pressure Fields mechanics will break down and he is not sure if this can be fixed and our coaches will really have to stay on top of this.

When asked of Bears coaches were the the right people to correct these flaws Simms said something strange - that there are not many people in football that really know the mechanics of throwing the football and understand why certain mechanics cause certain issues and what needs to be fixed. He does not know enough about Nagy and Lazor to answer. But he did say he gets plenty of calls from guys asking him about techniques all the time implying he is one of the few people who understands these things but the fact they are calling him to ask lets him know that very few of them do.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Chris Simms was on Under Center podcast this week talking about Fields. You can also listen on google podcasts if you want to avoid the commercials.
Was interesting discussion and most here know that Simms has been better than most experts in recent years on projection rookie QBs

Some highlights

- Fields has potentioal to be top 10 quarterback if he is able to overcome his shortcomings and has potential to be a special football player
- Arm is big time in terms of power but has issues in terms of consistency / variety of throws / lack of launch angles / needing more space in the pocket
- Throws using all arm sometimes unlike Brady/Mahomes/Rodgers that consistently set their feet correctly and use their body and this is not an easy fix
- Due to the above misses too many throws that should have been slam dunk completions

Sounds like his concern is that under pressure Fields mechanics will break down and he is not sure if this can be fixed and our coaches will really have to stay on top of this.

When asked of Bears coaches were the the right people to correct these flaws Simms said something strange - that there are not many people in football that really know the mechanics of throwing the football and understand why certain mechanics cause certain issues and what needs to be fixed. He does not know enough about Nagy and Lazor to answer. But he did say he gets plenty of calls from guys asking him about techniques all the time implying he is one of the few people who understands these things but the fact they are calling him to ask lets him know that very few of them do.

JF is not a "running QB"

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
All of these QBs could be top ten if they are able to overcome their shortcomings.

Some shortcomings are not fixable. He's just talking mechanical issues from my understanding. And he believes the issues Fields has are hard to overcome which is why he ranked him lower than most.

I personally don't really see it except for sometimes muscling his throws but I haven't watched a ton of tape and I'm no expert. Just passing information along.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
want Simms to go on the air and eat shit when Fields comes out blazing.

some of his mechanical remarks are full of shit. All QBs do this.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Great. He understands mechanics. Too bad he didn't understand them when he played. Simms and his lifetime 69 rating makes some of the garbage QB's on the Bears over the years, look good.

jive

Liked Posts:
This is a guy that had Trubisky going at 5, Mahommes at 10 and Watson at 31 in his mock draft for 2017. We all know how that went.
In 2018, he had Rosen ranked above Mayfield, Jackson, and Darnold. Allen was ranked 1, and it took him a couple of seasons to hit his stride. Rosen will probably never start again in the NFL, while Mayfield and Jackson are helping their teams win games. At least Darnold had some flashes, unlike Rosen.
He also had Lock, Haskins, Finley, and Stidham ranked above Daniel Jones in 2019. You can say what you want about Daniel Jones, but he's at least capable of starting in the NFL. Lock was ranked #2 and there's a big question mark on him as an NFL starter. Haskins has a big question mark on whether he'll make a roster. Finley doesn't have a team, and Stidham looks like a career backup.
In 2020 he had Love ranked above Tua. While Tua looks like the future starter for the Fins, the Packers sign Bortles as insurance for Love.

Simms is OK as an analyst, but I wouldn't take his word as gospel. Not by a longshot.

Liked Posts:
Simms is a smart guy so you gotta respect his opinion. But here’s the thing, Fields has excelled at every level. Physically and mentality, it’s clear he’s special.

The NFL is a whole nother ballgame and it’s not enough to just be talented. So there’s intangibles and mechanics that usually separate the winners from the losers.

I think he’s got the intangibles. Mechanics have never shown to be a real weakness in his game although they definitely could limit his potential. On the other hand, there’s nothing there that makes you think they’ll limit him in a material way, otherwise I really think more people than just Simms would notice.

With that said, maybe he’s right to an extent, but regardless, if Fields has all the tools plus a few mechanics issues that limit his upside, his floor is still relatively high....certainly higher than the bears have ever had for any QB (which isn’t saying much I know).

Idk, sounds to me like Simms found a weakness that most haven’t identified and he’s fixated on it. He even used the word “sometimes” when talking about his throwing motion not being ideal, which means most times it’s fine. To me this indicates it’s fixable.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

JF is not a "running QB"

He's not implying that he is a running qb. But that when he does decide to run he is the most dangerous in the class.

It's just that in the past, when that term was used, it was code for "this guy is not a passer" or "can't read D".

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

JF is not a "running QB"
In a strange way, I agree with him. He has the best tools (speed, vision) to do it, but he is not a run first type of QB.

To me, that is the best of both worlds. Teams have to treat him as a running threat, leaving a spy to cover him. This allows for one less defender to worry about, yet at the same time Fields has the speed to have a chance of outrunning that spy.

jive

Liked Posts:
It's more about getting the ball to the receiver than mechanics. There's good QBs with "poor mechanics" that somehow manage to get the ball to the receiver while QBs with the same problems can't. There's guys with great mechanics that can't hit an open receiver, let alone hit a tight window. Favre, Rivers, Newton, and even Rodgers coming out of college had issues with mechanics or unorthodox mechanics. Yet, somehow they got it done at a high level. Guys like Josh Rosen and Jeff George were praised for their mechanics, but look at their careers. Even guys that have great mechanics will have issues with it when they are under pressure. Mechanics are important, but they aren't worth anything if it doesn't help you win games.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I said this in the other thread but ranking Kellen Mond above Fields as a prospect is insane. And I like Mond as a prospect. There's absolutely no way you can watch those two and come to the conclusion Mond is a better prospect.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Some highlights

Rodgers and Mahomes always set their feet correctly? Fields lacks trajectories? LOLOL
What a fucking egomaniac. I bet not one OC or QB coach ever called him about technique, ever and did he forget who our QB coach was? The more he speaks, the more comfortable we should be with his Fields ranking.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is a guy that had Trubisky going at 5, Mahommes at 10 and Watson at 31 in his mock draft for 2017. We all know how that went.
In 2018, he had Rosen ranked above Mayfield, Jackson, and Darnold. Allen was ranked 1, and it took him a couple of seasons to hit his stride. Rosen will probably never start again in the NFL, while Mayfield and Jackson are helping their teams win games. At least Darnold had some flashes, unlike Rosen.
He also had Lock, Haskins, Finley, and Stidham ranked above Daniel Jones in 2019. You can say what you want about Daniel Jones, but he's at least capable of starting in the NFL. Lock was ranked #2 and there's a big question mark on him as an NFL starter. Haskins has a big question mark on whether he'll make a roster. Finley doesn't have a team, and Stidham looks like a career backup.
In 2020 he had Love ranked above Tua. While Tua looks like the future starter for the Fins, the Packers sign Bortles as insurance for Love.

Simms is OK as an analyst, but I wouldn't take his word as gospel. Not by a longshot.
I've always considered him a somewhat concussed moth. It has little to do with his Fields take which only reinforces it for me. He could end up right because QB is hard but it would be happenstance.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Rodgers and Mahomes always set their feet correctly? Fields lacks trajectories? LOLOL
What a fucking egomaniac. I bet not one OC or QB coach ever called him about technique, ever and did he forget who our QB coach was? The more he speaks, the more comfortable we should be with his Fields ranking.
I'm paraphrasing and summarizing. You might get a different take if you listen to it. But yeah he does come off as as pretty egotistical.
I was surprised too that DeFilipoo was not mentioned by anybody when talking about about the Bears staff.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
In a strange way, I agree with him. He has the best tools (speed, vision) to do it, but he is not a run first type of QB.

To me, that is the best of both worlds. Teams have to treat him as a running threat, leaving a spy to cover him. This allows for one less defender to worry about, yet at the same time Fields has the speed to have a chance of outrunning that spy.

Exactly. That's why I've been preaching that we need a mobile Qb. While some here were talking about us being good with
a Kyle Trask or a Mac Jones. For me, the mobile Qb is the complete Qb. You're right....just the fact that he presents the threat of picking up a 1st down will stress a defense. Heck in some cases it'll freeze the Ends in a 'contain mode' ( which could mean less rushers).

I still can't believe we got Fields. I still think I'm gonna wake up from from a bad dream find out we drafted Mac Jones
??