Chris Simms on Fields this week

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
"The most annoying part of Simms’ above rankings might just be that he has Aaron Rodgers as his GOAT. The single-Super-Bowl-winning Rodgers?"

What I find more annoying is fans with keyboards pretending to be real sports columnists. This might as well have been written by @ChicagoBearsSinceBirth except the author can actually put a sentence together.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

Chris Simms was on Under Center podcast this week talking about Fields. You can also listen on google podcasts if you want to avoid the commercials.
Was interesting discussion and most here know that Simms has been better than most experts in recent years on projection rookie QBs

Some highlights

- Had Kellon Mond Raned higher
- Fields has potentioal to be top 10 quarterback if he is able to overcome his shortcomings and has potential to be a special football player
- Fields is best running QB in draft class
- Arm is big time in terms of power but has issues in terms of consistency / variety of throws / lack of launch angles / needing more space in the pocket
- Throws using all arm sometimes unlike Brady/Mahomes/Rodgers that consistently set their feet correctly and use their body and this is not an easy fix
- Due to the above misses too many throws that should have been slam dunk completions

Sounds like his concern is that under pressure Fields mechanics will break down and he is not sure if this can be fixed and our coaches will really have to stay on top of this.

When asked of Bears coaches were the the right people to correct these flaws Simms said something strange - that there are not many people in football that really know the mechanics of throwing the football and understand why certain mechanics cause certain issues and what needs to be fixed. He does not know enough about Nagy and Lazor to answer. But he did say he gets plenty of calls from guys asking him about techniques all the time implying he is one of the few people who understands these things but the fact they are calling him to ask lets him know that very few of them do.

I watched Kellon Mond play for 3 years & he is not a good passer (Minny reached big time by like 2 or 3 rnds).

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Chris Simms was on Under Center podcast this week talking about Fields. You can also listen on google podcasts if you want to avoid the commercials.
Was interesting discussion and most here know that Simms has been better than most experts in recent years on projection rookie QBs

Some highlights

- Had Kellon Mond Raned higher
- Fields has potentioal to be top 10 quarterback if he is able to overcome his shortcomings and has potential to be a special football player
- Fields is best running QB in draft class
- Arm is big time in terms of power but has issues in terms of consistency / variety of throws / lack of launch angles / needing more space in the pocket
- Throws using all arm sometimes unlike Brady/Mahomes/Rodgers that consistently set their feet correctly and use their body and this is not an easy fix
- Due to the above misses too many throws that should have been slam dunk completions

Sounds like his concern is that under pressure Fields mechanics will break down and he is not sure if this can be fixed and our coaches will really have to stay on top of this.

When asked of Bears coaches were the the right people to correct these flaws Simms said something strange - that there are not many people in football that really know the mechanics of throwing the football and understand why certain mechanics cause certain issues and what needs to be fixed. He does not know enough about Nagy and Lazor to answer. But he did say he gets plenty of calls from guys asking him about techniques all the time implying he is one of the few people who understands these things but the fact they are calling him to ask lets him know that very few of them do.

That thing you called interesting is Simms, who by many accounts is one of the few down on fields, stirring up controversy in order to bring attention to himself as a fixer of mechanical issues in quarterbacks to try to land himself some NFL employment.

I lost a lot of respect for him because what he's trying to pull is very disingenuous.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
That thing you called interesting is Simms, who by many accounts is one of the few down on fields, stirring up controversy in order to bring attention to himself as a fixer of mechanical issues in quarterbacks to try to land himself some NFL employment.

I lost a lot of respect for him because what he's trying to pull is very disingenuous.
I did not say Simms was interesting. I said it was interesting that he said that there are not many people in football that really understand quarterback mechanics. I didn't even say I believed him. Was a provocative statement. Maybe he's full of shit. Maybe there is some truth to it. Idk.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

I find Simms to be a self promoting tool.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I like Simms and respect his opinion, but he doesn't know anything other scouts and coaches haven't figured out. I doubt he has this great intel about QB mechanics that very few know about. I'm not saying he is wrong on Fields needing work, but I'm sure the Bears know what Fields needs to improve before being our starter.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Exactly. That's why I've been preaching that we need a mobile Qb. While some here were talking about us being good with
a Kyle Trask or a Mac Jones. For me, the mobile Qb is the complete Qb. You're right....just the fact that he presents the threat of picking up a 1st down will stress a defense. Heck in some cases it'll freeze the Ends in a 'contain mode' ( which could mean less rushers).

I still can't believe we got Fields. I still think I'm gonna wake up from from a bad dream find out we drafted Mac Jones
??
If you were to look around the league I think you would find that the the era of the pure drop back passer is ending. Most of the young starting QB's coming into the NFL have at least some duel threat ability.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I did not say Simms was interesting. I said it was interesting that he said that there are not many people in football that really understand quarterback mechanics. I didn't even say I believed him. Was a provocative statement. Maybe he's full of shit. Maybe there is some truth to it. Idk.

There may be a hint to it. Alex Smith talked about it during a recent interview with Cowherd. He commented that Reid was basically the first coach he had that talked mechanics with him. The example he used was: You throw a ball too high in practice. Some coaches will just say, "You threw that too high, throw it lower" in a big no shit sherlock moment. But, he said Reid would be like, "You threw that too high, let's talk about what you were doing on that throw and if we can change it".

So, there is probably a degree of NFL coaching that gets too caught up in the schematic side and less on the fundamental side. However, my impression for the Bears is that they have one of those fundamental guys in coach DeFilippo. I am honestly not sure where Nagy and Lazor are on that scale. There is a lot of talk about Nagy and his scheme, but there hasn't been much talk on fundamentals. Reid spoke highly of him once upon a time, so there is a chance it exists and it just doesn't get talked about due to issues with Trubisky.

And with Trubisky, it's so hard to say what all went wrong with him - it was likely both fundamentals and scheme. There have been hints in various reports though that they tried to change/improve his fundamentals. And to a certain degree, it might have messed him up more - made him think too much on top of him already thinking too much due to the scheme.

Either way, Fields is the make or break for Nagy - both for his ability to show that he (and his coaches) can develop a qb and that he can scheme an executable NFL offense. Not just a nifty play here and there, but be able to put together a cohesive offense that guys can execute.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If you were to look around the league I think you would find that the the era of the pure drop back passer is ending. Most of the young starting QB's coming into the NFL have at least some duel threat ability.

you're preaching to choir. :) Going back to Tarkenton and Staubauch......I've always been a proponent of the duel threat Qb.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Hasn't Chris Simms' low opinion of Fields become the proverbial dead horse?

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I tend to disregard most things Chris Simms says

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He also hated Watson. BFD He's just more willing to look stupid so he can do the I told you so on the longshots.