Clay Matthews: NFL should 'go to college rules' in OT

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Clay Matthews: NFL should 'go to college rules' in OT

For the second straight postseason the Green Bay Packers were bounced from the tournament in overtime without touching the football.

After a double Hail Mary drive by Aaron Rodgers to tie the game, the Packers lost a bizarre coin flip, then watched Larry Fitzgerald dominate his way to 80 yards in three plays for the winning touchdown.

Count Clay Matthews among the many who think Rodgers should have gotten a chance to match Fitzgerald.

"Let's go college rules. Just put us on the 25 or whatever it is and let us go at it," the linebacker said when asked if the rule should be reexamined, via USA Today's Tom Pelissero. "But I don't know. I'm sure it'll be talked about. It sucks that we don't have an opportunity. But those are the rules right now. We've got to play by them. We had an opportunity to stop them on their side of the field and force a punt and kick a field goal to win, and we didn't do that."

The current overtime format was permanently modified in 2012 to allow both teams to receive the football in overtime, unless the team that receives the football first scores a touchdown. The modified rule has made some coaches consider kicking off to start overtime, much like Patriots coach Bill Belichick opted to do in a Week 16 overtime loss to the New York Jets.

Some believe the rules should be extended to allow both teams to touch the ball regardless of who receives the first kick, which would render the coin flip less vital.

Matthews admitted his opinion is skewed by the outcome of Saturday's game.

"It sucks that a coin toss can determine that," Matthews said, "but if that was us on the other side of the coin, we probably wouldn't be complaining."

Other Packers weren't calling for change, despite the brutal ending.

"Change the rule?" Julius Peppers said. "Nah, the rules are the rules, man. Play by the rules."

Added B.J. Raji: "That's sucker stuff, man. We lost the game. We should've won."

In the end, the Packers' defense had a chance to keep the Cardinals out of the end zone. It failed.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its one thing for a guy from the offense to complain about not getting an opportunity.

But to have the leader of the defense crying about how the offense did not get a chance to save them? How the shit is the dumbfuck oblivious to the irony?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Wasn't Clay the guy who whiffed and missed the tackle on 32 year old Fitzgerald around the 50 yard line?

Reactions: DC

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Clay should have made the tackle on fitz since he was right there the moment the catch was made

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not a big fan of Mathews, but I agree, college ot rules are much more fun.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Kickers are way better in the NFL than in college. Part of the excitement of college OT is not knowing if the kicker can make a 35 yard field goal.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
BJ Raji "a game we should have won"... riiiiight, because a team that needs a hail mary was the better team.

Anyways, the rules are just fine. Just get a stop for once, Packer D.

Because the better team wins every single game right?

Packers won the Super Bowl as the 6th seed, but they were supposed to do that right?

Why play the game if the better team wins every time?

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its one thing for a guy from the offense to complain about not getting an opportunity.

But to have the leader of the defense crying about how the offense did not get a chance to save them? How the shit is the dumbfuck oblivious to the irony?

Roids make you dumber

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The College overtime rules are stupid. Play 60 minutes on a 120 yard field and then magically shrink it to Arena football.

I agree with you on that one. And it is much more silly when they count the stats in the OT as being part of the game. Sometimes the teams score more in the OT than they do in the regular portion of the game.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
The rule was changed to make it so the team that lost the coin toss would have a chance and wouldn't lose on a FG. It was a good change and should be left alone.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
The assumption that the team that gets the ball first will win is stupid and illogical but I am of the belief that both teams should touch the ball at least once in OT.