College Thread

FrenchieBully

Liked Posts:
I just want to say..

DSC04263.JPG]

ILL

Geovanti's calzones are as big as your head too.

3660281-Geovantis_Mediocre_at_best-Champaign.jpg

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I graduated from UIUC in May 2011 with a Computer Science degree.... UIUC with Computer Science buys you a look and gives you a leg up, but I do not really know that UIUC is known as a top school in anything else.

Its a big school and really forced me to mature and start managing my own time/life well when I was there.

Not sure if UIUC is worth the money for a business or communications degree....

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I graduated from UIUC in May 2011 with a Computer Science degree.... UIUC with Computer Science buys you a look and gives you a leg up, but I do not really know that UIUC is known as a top school in anything else.

Its a big school and really forced me to mature and start managing my own time/life well when I was there.

Not sure if UIUC is worth the money for a business or communications degree....
UIUC is a top 50 school nationwide, I think. AFAIK, the engineering department is very good there. But you know more about this school than I do, so....

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Geovanti's calzones are as big as your head too.

3660281-Geovantis_Mediocre_at_best-Champaign.jpg

Geos midnight special.... 3 Chicken Strips with fries and honey mustard.... good lord I should not have eaten that as often as I did :lol:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
UIUC is a top 50 school nationwide, I think. AFAIK, the engineering department is very good there. But you know more about this school than I do, so....

Yeah UIUC Engineering is good, but UIUC Computer Science is like top 10 in the nation.

I used to get calls from recruiters in California all the time (still do once in a while) saying they wanted to talk to me simply because I was a Computer Science grad from UIUC.

I was not meaning to talk down about UIUC as a school overall, I love it and I think it was a great place to go to school. All I was getting at is that it was an expensive education for me on my own (Financial Aid and loans with parents co-signing) and if I were looking at schools for business or comms I think I would look cheaper and like other people said network build really well. Networking always matters alot, but I believe it matters more for non-tech degrees.

I still miss going to the football games in the student section in the North Endzone.... good times.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am sorry to be spamming this thread but my reply to Code got me thinking of a story I have to share...

So Freshman year I lived in Bromley with a buddy of mine from High School, just he and I.

On our floor there was a room of girls with this one chick Sam who was a Comms or Education major, I forget which.

She was a typical get wasted freshman girl who would go out and then come back and bother people.

One night her and her roommates were coming back drunk as me, my roommate, and another friend were returning from getting the midnight special at Geo's.

So we got to joking around with them, and she used to annoy the hell out of me. Well I start arguing with her over something trivial and finally I just tell her:

"Sam, you are dumb as a box of rocks, go to bed"
She replies: "If I'm so dumb, how come Im in the same college as you?!"
I shake my head and reply: "Bitch ya didn't get in to the Engineering College and you never will!"
Then I walked off as she yelled unintelligible curses at me down the hallway.

Ah I was very intellectually full of myself when I got to college.... UIUC beat that out of me though. :lol:

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah UIUC Engineering is good, but UIUC Computer Science is like top 10 in the nation.

I used to get calls from recruiters in California all the time (still do once in a while) saying they wanted to talk to me simply because I was a Computer Science grad from UIUC.

I was not meaning to talk down about UIUC as a school overall, I love it and I think it was a great place to go to school. All I was getting at is that it was an expensive education for me on my own (Financial Aid and loans with parents co-signing) and if I were looking at schools for business or comms I think I would look cheaper and like other people said network build really well. Networking always matters alot, but I believe it matters more for non-tech degrees.

I still miss going to the football games in the student section in the North Endzone.... good times.
Yea, I see what you're saying. I'm going out of state to a state school(Georgia Tech). It's pretty damn expensive, but I did get a scholarship, and my parents are helping me with the loans. I think it's worth it though. Tech has incredible job,research,and co-op opportunities. I'm similarly in a department that ranks in the top 10(biomedical engineering).

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yea, I see what you're saying. I'm going out of state to a state school(Georgia Tech). It's pretty damn expensive, but I did get a scholarship, and my parents are helping me with the loans. I think it's worth it though. Tech has incredible job,research,and co-op opportunities. I'm similarly in a department that ranks in the top 10(biomedical engineering).

Good for you man.... that top 10 ranking really does pay some dividends down the road... early in your career it will help you resume bubble to the top or it will catch the eye of recruiters.

Out of state is expensive, no way around it.... but in your case it makes sense to me.

What I never got were all the Chicagoland kids who go out of state to Iowa in the middle of cornfields.... idk how great of a school it is, but it always seemed crazy to me to pay out of state tuition to go to Iowa.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread is for anything college related,you aren't spamming at all we like your stories Ares :D thanks for the good info as well

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Good for you man.... that top 10 ranking really does pay some dividends down the road... early in your career it will help you resume bubble to the top or it will catch the eye of recruiters.

Out of state is expensive, no way around it.... but in your case it makes sense to me.

What I never got were all the Chicagoland kids who go out of state to Iowa in the middle of cornfields.... idk how great of a school it is, but it always seemed crazy to me to pay out of state tuition to go to Iowa.

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. There's such a big difference between in-state and out of state tuition for a lot of state schools.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that's pretty crazy. There's such a big difference between in-state and out of state tuition for a lot of state schools.

My ex also went to Iowa.... so I hold a special dislike for Iowa :lol:

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah a lot of people at my school talk down u of I and believe that Iowa is a better school :andruw: then they all complain that everyone goes to u of I so they go to Iowa to get away from everyone from high school, and Iowa is the place the majority of graduates from my school go to other than u of I :rolleyes:

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
My ex also went to Iowa.... so I hold a special dislike for Iowa :lol:

My girlfriend wants to go there for the reasons mentioned in my previous post, it pisses me off :lol:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My girlfriend wants to go there for the reasons mentioned in my previous post, it pisses me off :lol:

Yep, I heard the same shit from people at my high school man.... Its total bullshit.... I went to college with like 20 or 30 people who went to the same High School as me.... you know how many I saw in 4 years? 3 of them.... 2 of them were my roommates and 1 of them was my roommates girlfriend. U of I is so damned big you can easily miss people whether on purpose or not.

"I went to Iowa to get away from High School people.... and I payed an extra 20k to do it" :lol:

DePaulfan.... sounds like you are in very much the same situation I was.... she was going to Iowa and I was going to U of I.... and a month later (on the day my dad bought me my first truck) she broke up with me.... watch out brotha!

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep, I heard the same shit from people at my high school man.... Its total bullshit.... I went to college with like 20 or 30 people who went to the same High School as me.... you know how many I saw in 4 years? 3 of them.... 2 of them were my roommates and 1 of them was my roommates girlfriend. U of I is so damned big you can easily miss people whether on purpose or not.

"I went to Iowa to get away from High School people.... and I payed an extra 20k to do it" :lol:

DePaulfan.... sounds like you are in very much the same situation I was.... she was going to Iowa and I was going to U of I.... and a month later (on the day my dad bought me my first truck) she broke up with me.... watch out brotha!
That's what I tell everyone haha it's crazy how people will blow an extra 20k on a worse school To "get away" :smh:

Haha I hear ya, Ill be extra careful, hopefully it doesn't end bad :pray:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soon enough, we'll see a "I broke up with my gf" thread by DP. :troll: