Competitive Balance Draft Pick Coming to the Cubs?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
There are some rumblings about the Cubs and Royals possibly getting together with a trade involving the Royals #34 pick in this year's draft. The list of trade possibilities on the Cubs end are David DeJesus, Darwin Barney and some have thrown out Matt Garza's name.

Would the Royals give up the #34 pick along with either Yordano Ventura or Kyle Smith for DeJesus and Barney? I would estimate that the Royals would like to move at least 1 of their 40 man roster guys to fit 2 of the 3 from above on their new 40 man. Nate Adcock, John Lamb or Justin Marks, would fit that bill.

Cubs trade Barney, DeJesus and cash to the Royals
Royals trade #34 Pick, Yordano Ventura & Nate Adcock to the Cubs.

This move leaves the Royals with 39 on their 40 Man roster.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who's rumbling? Source?

Willrust

Liked Posts:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
There are some rumblings about the Cubs and Royals possibly getting together with a trade involving the Royals #34 pick in this year's draft. The list of trade possibilities on the Cubs end are David DeJesus, Darwin Barney and some have thrown out Matt Garza's name.

Would the Royals give up the #34 pick along with either Yordano Ventura or Kyle Smith for DeJesus and Barney? I would estimate that the Royals would like to move at least 1 of their 40 man roster guys to fit 2 of the 3 from above on their new 40 man. Nate Adcock, John Lamb or Justin Marks, would fit that bill.

Anyway the Cubs increase their chances of getting Hunter Dozier early in the 2nd round, I am all for. Especially if Barney and/or Dejesus are in on the deal.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Oh right, I've read Cubs Den's stuff too. It's more blogger rumblings than actual leaks, then.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/30/wisch-why-cant-mlb-teams-trade-draft-picks/

According to MLB.com columnist Jonathan Mayo, in July, after the 2012 Draft signing deadline has passed, baseball’s 10 smallest-market teams and 10 lowest-revenue teams will be placed in a “Competitive Balance Lottery” – a product of the new CBA – which will give each of them a chance to win one of six extra picks in 2013.

As Mayo points outs, this set-up doesn’t mean there will be 20 teams in the lottery. Rather there will be crossover between the 10 smallest-market and lowest-revenue clubs, with the expectation that about 13 teams will be involved. The teams eligible for this first lottery in July are the Diamondbacks, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A’s, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.

The odds of winning a draft pick through the lottery will be based on each team’s winning percentage the previous season. In the 2013 Draft, the six “lottery” picks will be made at the end of the first round, but after the compensation picks for free agents.

There will then be a second group of six “lottery” picks which will be made after the conclusion of the second round. The teams from the first group that did not win one of the six early picks will be re-entered in the lottery, along with any other Major League team that receive revenue sharing.

Now, do you have all that?

If your head has stopped spinning from all those details, then here’s the truly interesting twist of this whole thing: these new lottery picks can be traded, a first for Major League Baseball since the amateur draft was instituted in 1965.

But, because nothing is ever simple in baseball, there are of course conditions and limitations regarding such transactions.

For example, only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning the selection can be traded just once. Picks also can’t be sold for cash, and may only be dealt during the regular season. They can’t be traded during the postseason or at any point in the offseason, including the Winter Meetings.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Unless something changed I dont know--still cant trade picks, so I have to assume KC will let Jedstein pick who's there at 34, then have to wait a year as the kid will be the PTBN because you cant trade someone until a year after you draft him?

I also have to take into account KC isnt likely to retain both of Shields and Santana, so they may want to keep picks. I also take into account how easy they could fuck jedstein doing this......what if they draft the kid Jedstein likes but he doesnt sign? Is the deal off? It would be considered PTBN still......

If trading picks were allowable (i guess the MLB now does a lottery for small market/bad teams for more picks;) thats one thing. This is too much of a risk for me.

patg006

Liked Posts:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/30/wisch-why-cant-mlb-teams-trade-draft-picks/

According to MLB.com columnist Jonathan Mayo, in July, after the 2012 Draft signing deadline has passed, baseball’s 10 smallest-market teams and 10 lowest-revenue teams will be placed in a “Competitive Balance Lottery” – a product of the new CBA – which will give each of them a chance to win one of six extra picks in 2013.

As Mayo points outs, this set-up doesn’t mean there will be 20 teams in the lottery. Rather there will be crossover between the 10 smallest-market and lowest-revenue clubs, with the expectation that about 13 teams will be involved. The teams eligible for this first lottery in July are the Diamondbacks, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A’s, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.

The odds of winning a draft pick through the lottery will be based on each team’s winning percentage the previous season. In the 2013 Draft, the six “lottery” picks will be made at the end of the first round, but after the compensation picks for free agents.

There will then be a second group of six “lottery” picks which will be made after the conclusion of the second round. The teams from the first group that did not win one of the six early picks will be re-entered in the lottery, along with any other Major League team that receive revenue sharing.

Now, do you have all that?

If your head has stopped spinning from all those details, then here’s the truly interesting twist of this whole thing: these new lottery picks can be traded, a first for Major League Baseball since the amateur draft was instituted in 1965.

But, because nothing is ever simple in baseball, there are of course conditions and limitations regarding such transactions.

For example, only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning the selection can be traded just once. Picks also can’t be sold for cash, and may only be dealt during the regular season. They can’t be traded during the postseason or at any point in the offseason, including the Winter Meetings.

I just found the same article. Good find.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure if it is for real but with Julio Borbon and Logan Watkins in AAA why not. With those 2 they could afford to drop Castro in the order to a RBI slot.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Oh right, I've read Cubs Den's stuff too. It's more blogger rumblings than actual leaks, then.

DeJesus was asked directly by reporters about a trade to the Royals. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/19111873-419/cubs-david-dejesus-one-guy-whos-welcome-anywhere.html

Cubs have recently been scouting Royals and Blue Jays minor leagues. The Royals competitive balance pick (#34) has to be traded during the season, and before the draft. Jeff Francoeur is actually really good vs. LHP (.823 OPS), but is pretty bad vs. RHP (.699 OPS). David DeJesus is pretty good against RHP (.820 OPS) and is pretty bad vs. LHP (.668 OPS). The Royals currently have Chris Getz manning 2B with Elliot Johnson as the primary backup. Darwin Barney isn't Robinson Cano, but I would say he is an upgrade over Chris Getz.

Is the trade a definite, no. Does it make a lot of sense, yes.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's very good and logical speculation. I'm just waiting for something slightly more concrete, y'dig? ;)

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think the Cubs need quite a few more picks if the MLB wants to offer a true "competitive balance."

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

LOL!!!!

That would be a terrible trade for the Royals.

Yet another very useful, lets trade the Cubs garbage to another team for multiple useful items.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
LOL!!!!

That would be a terrible trade for the Royals.

Yet another very useful, lets trade the Cubs garbage to another team for multiple useful items.

What a fucking hypocrite. You have been saying for years that it is better to have a proven major leaguer than a "lottery ticket/prospect". Your words! This trade offers 2 proven major leaguers (1, a Gold Glove winner) for "lottery ticket/prospects" and now you are saying it is a terrible trade for the Royals.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
What a fucking hypocrite. You have been saying for years that it is better to have a proven major leaguer than a "lottery ticket/prospect". Your words! This trade offers 2 proven major leaguers (1, a Gold Glove winner) for "lottery ticket/prospects" and now you are saying it is a terrible trade for the Royals.

Not a hypocrite at all.

You know what 2B people in KC are talking about going out and getting???

Chase Utley.

THAT would be an improvement at 2B and something definitely worthy of cashing in prospects and lottery tickets for.

Barney sucks and the Royals need added OFFENSE at 2B. Not a defense only player. The Royals already have one of, if not, the best defensive teams in the league.

DeJesus sucks also. He is not an upgrade to RF. Francouer is a vastly superior defensive player and is hitting enough to not be killing the team at the plate.

DeJesus and Barney do zero to improve the team.

I am all for trading lottery tickets for players that IMPROVE the team.

It is a terrible trade for the Royals because it doesn't improve the team.

Sorry that is such a complicated idea for you.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Weren't you one of the one's whining and crying about what a horrible trade the Royals made in getting James Shield??

But somehow now David DeJesus and Darwin Barney are worth the #34 pick and the Royals top pitching prospect??

Dumb. Really, really dumb.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Weren't you one of the one's whining and crying about what a horrible trade the Royals made in getting James Shield??

But somehow now David DeJesus and Darwin Barney are worth the #34 pick and the Royals top pitching prospect??

Dumb. Really, really dumb.

The same James Shields he called better than David Price because "Price wasnt the present ace answer for the Rays in 2012?"

I wonder where Shields put that Cy Young trophy he didnt win......

Willrust

Liked Posts:
How is David Price handling that Ace status this year without Shields?