Competitive Balance Draft Pick Coming to the Cubs?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
His trade value was likely never as high as some people on a message board think it was.

He is horrible offensively and in the NL is like having a second pitcher in the order.

I think it is time to move on from Barney as the everyday starting 2B and not count on getting anything in return outside the GG defense he provided last year.

True dat! I know he is a liability with the bat, I just feel his peak was last year when he had some hype. Now any glimpse of hype is gone.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
His trade value was likely never as high as some people on a message board think it was.

He is horrible offensively and in the NL is like having a second pitcher in the order.

I think it is time to move on from Barney as the everyday starting 2B and not count on getting anything in return outside the GG defense he provided last year.

He is worth something because of his defense. No, I dont think its high and no I dont think on his own is worth much. I think packaged could get us something a little better. Ive never been a big fan of Barney. People know that, but he still has some value.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
but he still has some value.

Yeah but it is very possible that his value is highest for the Cubs, that no team thinks his defense is so special to offer anything more substantial than the proverbial case of batting practice balls.

Defense is overrated in baseball.

Colorado, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Washington are all in the bottom 11 for most errors committed on the season and all of those teams are .500 or better.

More times than not, when the AL teams go to NL parks and have to play without the DH you will see the DH in the lineup.

I remember last year the Red Sox put Adrian Gonzalez in the OF to get Ortiz in the lineup. The Royals put Hosmer in RF to get Butler in the lineup. This year Adam Dunn has played two games in LF, etc.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

sure.. f you have a team that can score runs or starters that strikes a lot of hitters out...

otherwise your counting on defense to be an important part of winning games, especially if your starters are not SO pitchers , and your offense can only scratch out 2-3 runs a game ...

you dont need 8 gold glovers, but you need guys who can make most to all routine plays and limited mental mistakes..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah but it is very possible that his value is highest for the Cubs, that no team thinks his defense is so special to offer anything more substantial than the proverbial case of batting practice balls.

Colorado, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Washington are all in the bottom 11 for most errors committed on the season and all of those teams are .500 or better.

More times than not, when the AL teams go to NL parks and have to play without the DH you will see the DH in the lineup.

I remember last year the Red Sox put Adrian Gonzalez in the OF to get Ortiz in the lineup. The Royals put Hosmer in RF to get Butler in the lineup. This year Adam Dunn has played two games in LF, etc.

Defense up the middle is more important than corner positions. Hence, why you have the bigger bats at the corner. Yes, if you can hit they will find a place for you to play but teams do value defense. BArney can play second and short and is a GG no matter how it is put. I agree he doesnt have big value or even good value but he has value. Him walking more this year will help as well. Like I said I dont think he will be traded by himself but part of a package to try to up the return some. Do I think it will up in tremendously, no, but it will up it. I firmly believe the Cubs are about to give Watkins his shot this year. Theo and Jed loves people who walk and even though Watkins average is sub .250 his OBP is over .400. Barney is 27 and will be 28 this year. They hold onto him past this year then you will be right that he is worth a bucket of balls.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barney is Utility IF. Cubs are FULL of bench players. Thats why they suck. Valbuena is a bench player on good team, Barney is a bench player on good team. DeJesus is a bench player on a good team, Nate is bench player on a good team. Wait thats 1/2 of the CUbs starting lineup. No wonder they playing .300 baseball

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Barney is Utility IF. Cubs are FULL of bench players. Thats why they suck. Valbuena is a bench player on good team, Barney is a bench player on good team. DeJesus is a bench player on a good team, Nate is bench player on a good team. Wait thats 1/2 of the CUbs starting lineup. No wonder they playing .300 baseball

And in a few years, none of them will be starting on the Cubs either.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And in a few years, none of them will be starting on the Cubs either.

In a few years??

They shouldnt be starting now, but it is ok they are starting now because it will only for a few years??

That is a loser mentality.