Competitive Balance Draft Pick Coming to the Cubs?

patg006

Liked Posts:
How is David Price handling that Ace status this year without Shields?

You probably would have wrote off Roy Halladay in 2003 after starting 1-4 losing games 8-4, 9-6, 4-3 and 4-0 because Chris Carpenter left for the Cardinals with this outstanding logic.

Not that Halladay couldnt turn the season around and go 22-7 with a Cy Young award or anything.....nahhhhh.......he "was the future," right?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Weren't you one of the one's whining and crying about what a horrible trade the Royals made in getting James Shield??

But somehow now David DeJesus and Darwin Barney are worth the #34 pick and the Royals top pitching prospect??

Dumb. Really, really dumb.

Actually, I said that the Shields trade depends upon KC's ability to lock him up long term.:kick:

Also, Zimmer is the Royals #1 pitching prospect, not Ventura. Figured you would know that... KANSAS BOYD!:whoosh:

Willrust

Liked Posts:
You probably would have wrote off Roy Halladay in 2003 after starting 1-4 losing games 8-4, 9-6, 4-3 and 4-0 because Chris Carpenter left for the Cardinals with this outstanding logic.

Not that Halladay couldnt turn the season around and go 22-7 with a Cy Young award or anything.....nahhhhh.......he "was the future," right?

WTF does Chris Carpenter have to do with it? He was an injury issue. A comparison to Carpenter would be Josh Johnson. As to Halladay, you are right, had a hiccup.

However, if you want a closer comparison why not Price to Lincecum? He seems to be having the same issue with velocity that Lincecum has had for the past 2 years.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Actually, I said that the Shields trade depends upon KC's ability to lock him up long term.:kick:

It doesn't matter what you said. The only thing that matters is that the trade has already made the Royals competitive and relevant. Something the team hasn't been in about 20 years.

Also, Zimmer is the Royals #1 pitching prospect, not Ventura. Figured you would know that... KANSAS BOYD!:whoosh:

Not when you factor in Zimmer's offseason elbow surgery.

The fact that Ventura has three plus pitches to Zimmer's two and that Ventura is a level ahead of Zimmer despite only being 3 months older.

But go ahead and split hairs to deflect from your stupidity.

Even putting Ventura as the second best pitching prospect for the Royals, it still makes it a horribly stupid trade for the Royals to make. Doesn't change that in the slightest.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Not a hypocrite at all.

You know what 2B people in KC are talking about going out and getting???

Chase Utley.

THAT would be an improvement at 2B and something definitely worthy of cashing in prospects and lottery tickets for.

Barney sucks and the Royals need added OFFENSE at 2B. Not a defense only player. The Royals already have one of, if not, the best defensive teams in the league.

DeJesus sucks also. He is not an upgrade to RF. Francouer is a vastly superior defensive player and is hitting enough to not be killing the team at the plate.

DeJesus and Barney do zero to improve the team.

I am all for trading lottery tickets for players that IMPROVE the team.

It is a terrible trade for the Royals because it doesn't improve the team.

Sorry that is such a complicated idea for you.

Career .280 hitter with a career OBP over .350, couldn't help the Royals? A Gold Glove 2B wouldn't help the Royals? :ucrazy:

http://memegenerator.net/instance/37594938

Willrust

Liked Posts:
It doesn't matter what you said. The only thing that matters is that the trade has already made the Royals competitive and relevant. Something the team hasn't been in about 20 years.

Not when you factor in Zimmer's offseason elbow surgery.

The fact that Ventura has three plus pitches to Zimmer's two and that Ventura is a level ahead of Zimmer despite only being 3 months older.

But go ahead and split hairs to deflect from your stupidity.

Even putting Ventura as the second best pitching prospect for the Royals, it still makes it a horribly stupid trade for the Royals to make. Doesn't change that in the slightest.

Didn't realize the season was over and the Royals were going to the playoffs on the arm of James Shields & Wade Davis. Thanks for clearing that up. :nope:

As to Zimmer & Ventura, don't take my word for it, just look at MLB.com, Fangraphs & Baseball America. All 3 of those publications had Zimmer well above Ventura going into the season. Are you trying to say that you know more than those 3? :smug2:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Career .280 hitter with a career OBP over .350, couldn't help the Royals? A Gold Glove 2B wouldn't help the Royals?

You are still going on and on??

Dude, it was a really dumb idea and you should just move on.

But I will break it down even further about what a dumb idea it is for the Royals because you clearly need the education.

You obviously haven't watched the Royals play at all this year or have the slightest clue at what their team needs are.

DeJesus is playing CF for the Cubs, is he going to help the Royals in CF??? No. Cain is hitting .340 with an OPS near .900 and can go get with the best of them in CF. Dude covers A LOT of ground. DeJesus? Not so much.

Put DeJesus in RF?? He doesn't have near the range or arm that Francouer gives the Royals in RF. Is he a slight upgrade offensively in RF? Sure, but the last thing the Royals need is a slap hitter. Where exactly would he hit in the Royals lineup? Not leadoff. Gordon has been the best, most consistent hitter on the team this year. He is tied for the team lead in HR's and leads the team in RBI's plus his career numbers in the leadoff spot are significantly better than his numbers down in the order.

Hit DeJesus second? The Royals are doing pretty well in the two hole with Escobar. Hitting close to .300, hits the ball well to RF, making consistent contact and advances runners, is 7 for 7 in stolen base attempts and has even added 3 HR's so far this year.

Plus Escobar bats right which is a good compliment to Gordon hitting left. DeJesus would put back to back lefties at the top of the order.

So you going to hit DeJesus in the middle of the order??? Fuck no.

The DeJesus for Francouer upgrade is worthy of a PTBNL. Not the #34 pick and one of the top two pitching prospects.

Dumb. Really, really dumb. Like being fired as a GM and never getting another interview ever again dumb.

And Barney help the Royals??? LOL!!! No.

You may have found one of the very few 2B in all of baseball that isn't an offensive upgrade over Getz. Career .649 OPS for Barney and .629 for Getz. BFD.

And as I have already pointed out, the Royals might already be the best defensive team in baseball. Barney doesn't really change that.

What the Royals really need is a middle of the order bat to pair with Billy Butler, ideally a clean up hitter since the Royals #4 hitters have been awful.

.206 0 HR's and 7 RBI's out of the #4 spot.

You going to bat either Barney or DeJesus clean up?? If you say yes, that would be the dumbest thing you have ever said which is no small feat.

Like I said, folks in KC are looking at a guy like Chase Utley. A REAL upgrade to the team and certainly one worthy of a deal involving #34 pick and a top two pitching prospect. Not fucking 2 below league average scrubs.

Last edited:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Didn't realize the season was over and the Royals were going to the playoffs on the arm of James Shields & Wade Davis. Thanks for clearing that up. :nope:

Did I say the Royals were already in the playoffs?? No??

Did I say that Shields has helped make the Royals competitive and relevant? Yep.

Not quite the same thing are they? Not even close.

But continue to make things up and try to distract from your dumb idea.

As to Zimmer & Ventura, don't take my word for it, just look at MLB.com, Fangraphs & Baseball America. All 3 of those publications had Zimmer well above Ventura going into the season. Are you trying to say that you know more than those 3? :smug2:

Continuing to split hairs because you have no actual facts to defend how truly ignorant your idea was.

But strawman away to your hearts content.

I clearly said that even if you want to make Ventura the second best prospect, it doesn't make your trade idea any less moronic.

Troll on sister. Troll on.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I also have to take into account KC isnt likely to retain both of Shields and Santana, so they may want to keep picks.

Very doubtful they can keep both.

Making it less likely that the Royals would deal a potential rotation piece for garbage like DeJesus and Barney.

Heck another couple bad outings from either Davis and/or Mendoza and Ventura might get a look THIS season.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Did I say the Royals were already in the playoffs?? No??

Did I say that Shields has helped make the Royals competitive and relevant? Yep.

Not quite the same thing are they? Not even close.

But continue to make things up and try to distract from your dumb idea.

Continuing to split hairs because you have no actual facts to defend how truly ignorant your idea was.

But strawman away to your hearts content.

I clearly said that even if you want to make Ventura the second best prospect, it doesn't make your trade idea any less moronic.

Troll on sister. Troll on.

Yep, no actual facts aside from just about every prospect ranking publication listing Zimmer ahead of Ventura. What was that about you being able to admit you were wrong? Crickets...

Why don't you just stick to the Royals. It is apparent that you appreciate their team and management much more than the Cubs. Why not go spew the hate somewhere's else?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Yep, no actual facts aside from just about every prospect ranking publication listing Zimmer ahead of Ventura. What was that about you being able to admit you were wrong? Crickets...

And how is that an actual fact that supports your trade idea not being incredibly stupid??

And I also conceded that even making Ventura the second best pitching prospect for the Royals doesn't make your trade idea being incredibly stupid.

Strawman away.

Troll on.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Somebody should really lock this thread to avoid further embarrassment to willrust.

Shouldn't the mercy rule be put in place??

Randall Tex Cobb didn't take a beating this bad against Larry Holmes.

Where is BearsWillWin when you need him?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Well a local radio station had former GM Jim Bowden on and they talked about the Royals second base position.

The first player he said the Royals should target is Jose Altuve and Yordano Ventura was mentioned in the scenario.

When Chase Utley was brought up he said it would be more of a deadline deal and that he could likely be had for a couple mid level prospects, not two top prospects like was brought up in this stupid scenario.

Not one mention of Darwin Barney, Barney Rubble, Barney Fife or the Darwin Theory.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Where is BearsWillWin when you need him?

I let him know. He, Mongo, and all the other CBS bears board guys went to mudncleats for football. Good thing too, the bears board here is full of idiots and what ifs. Though alot of us are still baffled/finding it harder to come to terms by the Howie Long's kid pick reach.....

He does miss will very much though :fap:

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Interesting note from Bleacher Nation today courtesy of Luke:

Arismendy Alcantara went 2 for 5 with a double, two walks, and no strike outs in this game. More importantly, he played second base. Elliot Soto, one of the best defensive shortstops in the system, took over on the left side of the infield. We will see if this is a permanent change, but it is not insignificant if it becomes permanent. If the Cubs do move Alcantara to second full time, it could be taken as an indication that they are evaluating him with an eye on Chicago. Generally speaking shortstops have more trade value than second basemen. If the Cubs were primarily interested in maximizing his talent and trade value, I think they would prefer to leave him at short. Should it turn out that Alcantara has been moved to second full time, the front office might have tipped their hand. Darwin Barney probably does not need to pack his bags yet, but with Logan Watkins getting on base nearly ever other plate appearance in Iowa and Alcantara possibly moving to the second in Tennessee, he has every reason to be pricing luggage.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting note from Bleacher Nation today courtesy of Luke:

Arismendy Alcantara went 2 for 5 with a double, two walks, and no strike outs in this game. More importantly, he played second base. Elliot Soto, one of the best defensive shortstops in the system, took over on the left side of the infield. We will see if this is a permanent change, but it is not insignificant if it becomes permanent. If the Cubs do move Alcantara to second full time, it could be taken as an indication that they are evaluating him with an eye on Chicago. Generally speaking shortstops have more trade value than second basemen. If the Cubs were primarily interested in maximizing his talent and trade value, I think they would prefer to leave him at short. Should it turn out that Alcantara has been moved to second full time, the front office might have tipped their hand. Darwin Barney probably does not need to pack his bags yet, but with Logan Watkins getting on base nearly ever other plate appearance in Iowa and Alcantara possibly moving to the second in Tennessee, he has every reason to be pricing luggage.

I think the Cubs would be dumb to keep Barney past this trade deadline. He probably has the most value he will have in a trade because of that GG. He has also showed taking walks this year. I put that on batting number 8. Barring another incredible no error streak. He is not going to beat out BP for the GG. Barney is a perfect player to compliment a pitcher in a trade for a team looking at the playoffs. Playoffs teams are always looking for pitching and defense. Just my take, but if they dont pull the trigger. I think his value will take a big hit and the Cubs will have missed out on getting something decent for him.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs would be dumb to keep Barney past this trade deadline. He probably has the most value he will have in a trade because of that GG. He has also showed taking walks this year. I put that on batting number 8. Barring another incredible no error streak. He is not going to beat out BP for the GG. Barney is a perfect player to compliment a pitcher in a trade for a team looking at the playoffs. Playoffs teams are always looking for pitching and defense. Just my take, but if they dont pull the trigger. I think his value will take a big hit and the Cubs will have missed out on getting something decent for him.

HIs trade value was at it's highest last year and should have been dealt. That was when the Cubs should have pulled the trigger.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
His trade value was likely never as high as some people on a message board think it was.

He is horrible offensively and in the NL is like having a second pitcher in the order.

I think it is time to move on from Barney as the everyday starting 2B and not count on getting anything in return outside the GG defense he provided last year.